PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsgourley

Lurker
Aug 30, 2010
I was sitting out on the patio at Starbucks in my hometown, smoking some locally-branded cherry cavendish. What made it a great experience is that I was able to talk a buddy of mine into trying out a pipe instead of sucking down cigarettes. I don't think he's been converted yet, but I'm still working on it. I also got a few quizzical looks but no fake coughing or reprimands about my health or the health of those around me. For me, that's a win.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I just converted a buddy of mine, recently. It's a good feeling, knowing that you've brought one more person into a time-honored, but slowly (sometimes quickly) declining tradition. Hopefully we can turn that around, and keep pipe smoking around forever.

The problem with Portland, Oregon is that people are just too damned accepting. They don't really look twice at much of anything. So I suppose the best I've got are the couple of times people have come up, complimented me on the smells emanating from my pipe, and walked off.

Cheers,

Collin

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I am pleased at the positive attitude and model we pipe smokers impress on the world.

These stories are heartening, it demonstrates that pipe smoking is an admirable hobby.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes Collindow, that's know as the Portland shuffle... Personally, I've

found this to be preferable, a sort of public isolation, to the public

guardians of 'what's in our best interest' snide commentators that abound

in other places.

May 19, 2010
One of the best experiences I have had was on campus at the Spokane falls community college. My fiance and several of her friends where having a picnic in one of the open areas. Several of her friends where smoking cigarettes so I packed my pipe with some Mac Baren navy flake and began puffing away. Within 15 minutes all of them where very curious and I had a few of them puffing away on pipes.
Good food, good people, and a great smoke. Couldn't had been a better day.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
One of my best would be the time when I was headed into Borders grabbing a quick smoke on the way in when a family with a cute little girl came out. As they passed me she said" Momma! He looks like Santa!". Of course I had to stop and talk to her a little bit.

superdan

Lurker
Sep 28, 2010
the other night i brought my pipe along as some friends and i went out to see a couple bands in Denver, and i wanted to change up the pace of everybody lighting up cigs as they walk out the venue door. i was supremely surprised by the fantastic reaction from people. through the night walking the downtown streets i actually got three different "classy as f*ck man!" and my coworkers have all mentioned how good it smells (CBW)

ltrav3nw00d

Lurker
Sep 29, 2010
Unfortunately I live in a RAMPANTLY ANTI-SMOKING state it is very difficult to smoke anywhere. Something like you cant smoke within 30-50 feet of any entrance way. Of course there is no indoor smoking in any workplace or public building. I do have a few B&M's I can go to, but then of course I am limited to their hours.
But what I do ( until my current job comes to an end May/2011 ) is I have a camp chair and

I walk about half mile to a empty office building parking lot that has a small road to a water treatment building that is so out of the way there can be no possible way to offend anyone. I park myself there and enjoy a bowl or two or perhaps a cigar. The water guys know me and also the landscape guys. They dont tell me to move, they just wave or nod and they go about their business.
Sorry if I went off topic ;-)

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I was a work today when an older Gent came in clenching a pipe in his mouth, puffing away like the happiest person around! I hate that i had to tell him he couldn't smoke in the building but I did get to have a nice conversation about our fabulous hobby. He told me he was beyond happy to see that pipe smoking hasn't completely died out in the younger crowds! Made my day!

danboston

Lurker
Dec 1, 2009
I was walking down Newbury Street in Boston, high end shops abound, as well as a lot of college kids and desperate housewives. I had my pipe going and was just enjoying the spring weather. I got numerous smiles from women, a couple nods from the men, I was stopped by a older lady to tell me that it smelt great, and a couple of college guys asked where I shopped.
All in all a fantastic experience.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
I went to my local watering hole today to get some beer and broke out my pipe. I was surprised at the reactions, lots of people actually enjoyed it and complimented my pipe. Even younger people were like, "That's really cool man". I also saw a few girls point over my way, intrigued, or disgusted - not sure, but they had smiles on their faces. Probably the strangest comment was "Look at this guy, all Dr. Who and shit" and his friend told him, "Dude, shhh, STFU". I chuckled inside. Also made a new friend at the bar who is in the same profession as me and may be able to get me a job quick, she let me know that her father who has passed on was also an avid pipe smoker - I love social networking.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Bump* I loved the stories that came out of this thread in the past.
Let's have some new stories.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Well most of my public smoking was done at my former place of employment where a coworker and I would have a pipe every morning before the big cheese got there. We received several compliments on the aromas as we would try a new tobacco every day. The best one however came from a nonsmoking coworker who actually told me he was upset when we quit smoking that day because the smell went away.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I was up in Leavenworth, WA for Oktoberfest and was smoking my Meerschaum outside the beer tent and this little Japanese dude came up and asked for some tobacco. He had a Tsuge and I didn't know how he was going to fit the baccy in there, but I gladly forked over a handful. He didn't speak English and I sure as hell don't know any Japanese, but we both shared the bond of pipe smoking! Very cool!

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
When I was young and single my regular smoke during the week was Carter Hall but come Friday and Saturday nights when it was time to go to town I switched to Amphora Red Full Aroma. I was tall and very skinny when I was young and also pretty shy around the fairer sex but the aroma of that pipe would often draw the ladies right past the jocks and romeos to me. They would all compliment me on the smell and the ice had been broken. This was about 40 years ago and I'm no longer skinny and single but women still occasionally compliment me on the aroma of my pipe.
Smokey

ricospipe

Lurker
Apr 11, 2013
Nashua, N.H.
Bump a year later ...
Normally, I'd just smoke at home and hadn't really given any thought about smoking anywhere else.

Until about 2 months ago, when I read Kevin's smoking in public and pipe AMEX (don't leave home without your pipe)articles. After that, I'd bring a couple pipes with me whenever I'd go out. At the Malls, I'd smoke across from the the entrance, obeying the sign that said no smoking "x" feet from the entrance(whereasthe cigarfette smokers smoked right by the sign next to the door)but being further away made me more visible. So far, I've never got a verbal reaction at the malls,mostly I'm ignored. Sometimes I get a nod from the men, or a look of admiration.

I think once my presence started an argument between a couple. My impression was when the husband saw me, he commented that he was gonna start (or re-start?) pipe smoking. As they walked close to clear ear-shot, it seemed that the wife was disabusing her husband of his idea. :-D
We also walk Main Street regularly- and I carry a pipe or two. My first encounter on Main streetwas with a 20-something woman. When she saw my pipe, she asked,"yousmoking a pipe, huh?" and I agreed. Then she asked what I was smoking & I named the pipe tobacco. She said "Oh," and visibly deflated. I'm pretty sure she was hoping to bum some pot off of me. LOL
I've got a number of "Nice pipe"s, a few saying it smells nice and one saying "Cool pipe, does it taste good?"

from 3 30-ish men. My thought later: Of course it tastes good, I wouldn't smoke it otherwise!
So far, no negative experiences. But New Hampshire-ites tend to have the attitude of "I'll letcha do what you want If I can do what I want."
Enjoy your pipes!

Rico :puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I sometimes go to Bingo with the wife, I have an old bent Edwards, beautiful smoker, smoke some IQ or TroutStream in the smoking section, we sat at a long table and 2 tables down there was 4 old blue hairs, they got up and I said to myself Oh, Oh , they then came and sat across us and I heard one say in French, POP used to smoke the pipe and I love to smell it. She then turned around and told me I could blow the smoke her way Cest La Vieu!

Status
Not open for further replies.