Search on Site

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Country Squire Banner

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Country Squire Banner

iajaffe

Mar 10, 2010
Does anyone else get teary eyed when smoking? I only smoke latakia blends, so it either is or isn't the tobacco. Just wondering if others have the same problem and do drops or something.

ashdigger

Preferred Member
Jul 30, 2016
I smoke a lot of short pipes and occasionally the smoke bothers my eyes. I use eye drops occasionally.

newdave61

Aug 31, 2018
I will sometimes get watery eyes when smoking a bent. It's inevitable, but some eyes are more sensitive than others in this respect.

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
My eyes will water a little bit if the smoke is particularly enjoyable and the bowl is almost done.

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
I get red swollen eyes when setting in a lounge with too many other smokers, but not from just smoking my own pipe. Our pipe club's success with gaining more and more members is great, but as it gets larger and larger, I can barely stand to go, and Briary Pipe events are great in getting to meet pipemakers and tobacconists, but with everyone smoking, I can only stay inside for a few minutes at a time.
Eyedrops have always been like throwing gasoline on a fire for me. They always make it worse.

crashthegrey

Preferred Member
Dec 18, 2015
In general from my own pipe, no. A particular bent pipe likes to direct the smoke toward my eyes, and it can happen, especially smoking in the car with the windows up.

raevans

Apr 20, 2013
It happens to me every now and then, usually when I am smoking in a closed in area and there is poor ventilation.

npod

Preferred Member
Jun 11, 2017
Same as above. My eyes turn red in a smoky room or tent, but not when smoking by myself.

johnmosesbrowning

Aug 5, 2018
haha, I'm so grateful that it's not just me. I've given up smoking my bent billiard because the smoke seems to go straight into my eyes no matter where I sit or how I hold the pipe. My author, straight billiard, and Rossi 8673 do just fine and give me no smokey-eye problems at all!

derfargin

Preferred Member
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Yes...the key is the amount of eye shadow you use, and how to fade it out to the edges.......Oh wait... I mean...no I typically don't have problems with my eyes watering.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
Sometimes it happens. I don't usually clench my pipe in my jaw, for this reason & others. I also tend to stay away from nose warmers now, because a longer stem keeps the smoke out of my eyes more effectively.

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member
May 12, 2015
Monterey Peninsula
haha, I'm so grateful that it's not just me. I've given up smoking my bent billiard because the smoke seems to go straight into my eyes no matter where I sit or how I hold the pipe. My author, straight billiard, and Rossi 8673 do just fine and give me no smokey-eye problems at all!
Smoke outdoors, and face downwind!