PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With 1-Q and BCA, I will microwave a bowl full on a paper towel for about 8 seconds, then load and enjoy.

Jan 8, 2013
If you tamp as you puff instead of between puffs you should find that it keeps it lit. Tamping without puffing is akin to snuffing out, while tamping while puffing is kind of a venturi effect. Tamp lightly as you do this. That's how it seems to me.
I think that's the one thing most of us forget to mention when we bring up tamping. That's exactly how I tamp, and I'm sure most of us do the same. But we just say... "tamp." We don't say, "tamp while you draw." The only time I tamp without the draw is when I'm not really tamping at all, but rather using the tamp to smooth the tobacco or ash in the chamber when I'm getting an uneven burn. Good that you pointed that out. Well done.
Duane, that was a good video. Well done.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thanks, it was a little quicker than I would have liked, and more could have been covered, but I was pleased with it.

Jan 8, 2013
. I'd recommend using a hygrometer for so doing as it's not easy to have any degree of accuracy by just time or feel. (Too many variables)
Time and feel works great for me, as it does with most smokers I'm sure. You tend to get a "feel" of what certain blends should feel like when ready to burn.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sure, if you're smoking a limited number of blends, have fairly constant ambient humidity, and a superior feel to your fingertips. Otherwise it can be a crap shoot. And doing small batches by feel can waste time, and try one's patience.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
If I don't microwave, I just leave it out overnight. Getting too technical would make it less relaxing.

Jan 8, 2013
Sure, if you're smoking a limited number of blends, have fairly constant ambient humidity, and a superior feel to your fingertips. Otherwise it can be a crap shoot. And doing small batches by feel can waste time, and try one's patience.
Nah... not really. I live in North Texas, humidity can be all over the place from one day to the next. I just set it on a paper towel, and let it dry until ready. If I want it to dry a bit quicker I'll put it on a mug warmer, checking every few minutes until I think it's right. I like to keep it simple. Works swell for me.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I hope it does. When starting out, it seems we all overthink packing, and smoking becomes frustrating.

Recently, I have just been leaving the top off of the tin or jar after I open it. Tobacco starts off bone dry by the curing, and it gets rehydrated and dried and rehydrated, depending on what processes it goes through. There is a big difference between dry tobacco and stale; stale being that the tobacco is so ruined that the cell walls have broken down and the essential oils have all dissipated. So, I am not afraid of just drying out a whole tin or jar. But, I know that the longest a jar will last me is maybe two weeks if I smoke slow. I also try to limit my open tins and jars to less than ten.
I just don't fret the whole, keeping the tobacco wet until I smoke it thing. But, I would also get frustrated if I had as many jars open as I read about on here. I don't want to have to think about and fret over what to smoke when the time comes to load up. When I want a VaPer, I just grab the VaPer that is open.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Duane, I've tried your method (I smoke ribbons), but sadly I can't get a consistent result. I end up with bowls that look and feel good at first, but after a little smoke and tamp, are almost down to 1/3. Also, it goes out all the time.
I must have awful technique or feel, because if I don't have a big wad of tobacco (a la Frank), the smoke usually is frustrating.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The important thing is to keep trying. Relights aren't a bad thing, and keep practicing you drawing cadence. I used to not be able to keep a pipe lit either.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I am slowly getting better at it. It's common sense, the more you do it, the better you get. I don't use a "method" anymore. Just try to get the feel for it, both packing and smoking cadence. It isn't always great, but there is a natural progress in doing things over and over, a little different each time.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The '3-layer method' hasn't worked for me either. Hit or miss, like ignaciojn —mostly miss, in my case. And I do mostly ribbon cuts too. On the other hand, there's variation in the tobaccos and the ribbon cuts too, so I don't think it's as in baking a cake, where you methodically measure and mix. Practice, practice, practice, I guess.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Practise patience and simplicity are keys here. Never forget that you are smoking a pipe for enjoyment. Don’t make it complicated

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Seems my problem was light packing. I've been tamping with more force during the pack, and my smokes are considerably better.
This video helped me realized I was doing it like a lady: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tImGLFF6d-4
Only problem left is a bit of gurgling, but that's because I can't let go of the pipe, I'm too greedy.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Seems he's tamping that tobacco pretty hard, even on the first load. Curious if others also noticed this.
Maybe there's something here...

Status
Not open for further replies.