PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Very welcome. I'll shoot it to you in a PM, and let me know how it works out for you.

Oh, c'mon Cap'n, others like me could benefit from your wisdom. Packing is a hit or miss for me. :(
Been trying the swirl method but apparently I'm still packing too loose. I was relighting like a firefly last nite.
@ irishearl: my hat's off to you: if I did that my tongue would fall off and out from the burns.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Not all, you've just found what works for you.
Exactly, be sure I am happy for you if you are finding your technique enjoyable, as that is what the aim is. But your 'freight-train' method isn't the old school, slow-smoking manner in which my pipe smoking dad and opa taught me to breathe slowly and savour the flavour, that's all. But pipe smoking is indeed not an activity where everyone enjoys doing things the exact same way!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
First, forget trying to smoke without relights. My experience with tamping: Lightly tamp when you first light the pipe. Lightly tamp in the middle of the bowl, Little bit stronger tamp at the bottom. Now, when you have to relight, only tamp once and let the tobacco burn down. I've heard to tamp before you relight the pipe, this is probably the sure shot advice. I use this technique from time to time. With experience you'll know when to tamp when the pipe is drawing more air because of so much ash on top of the tobacco from lack of tamping.. I have this issue with bent pipes, because I sling the pipe to clear the gurgle, this displaces the tobacco and ash, which is something like Chasing Embers descibes with a loose pack.
Also dry tobacco smokes better, taste better and packs better IMHO.
Smoking slow is simply just sipping like sipping on a straw. Just getting a little bit of smoke.
I've only smoked a pipe all the way to the bottom with one light once. I've tried and tried but I always at least have one relight. I'm very proud of that once upon a time. Thanks Cosmic. Something he said on a thread inspired me one day. I chalk it up to him. He was there sitting on my shoulder. I wish he'd come back around for a visit. :rofl:

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Slower pace and use breathing method. That's what I do. And remember don't get your pipe to hot. It taste better when not too hot :puffy:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Agree on the moisture. I tried (finally got to try) some Lane BCA last nite: that thing is so goopy that ~15-20 min on a coffee filter wasn't enough to dry it; also, first toby that stains my hand brown and sticky when swirling it into the pipe. I was disliking it already even before I fired it. I think my constant relighting was due to the moisture more than poor packing, but I won't say my packing was superb. The dottle left quite a bit of moisture at the bottom of the bowl.
One thing I did like: first blend that doesn't bite me like a snapping turtle. Practically biteless, even though I was drawing faster and stronger than usual, trying to keep it lit. My tongue does feel a little spiked, as if I had eaten too much pepper, but that might be the remnants of the HH Vintage Syrian I had last Monday. Guess I have to dry BCA for about an hour next time.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think my constant relighting was due to the moisture more than poor packing, but I won't say my packing was superb. The dottle left quite a bit of moisture at the bottom of the bowl.
Right, but cut yourself some slack as aromatics take forever to dry out, if they ever do.
If your tobacco is dry enough going in, you don't need "technique" at all (plugs and flakes excepted).

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Be interesting to know if those that smoke one bowl or less per day smoke the slowest and stop while those that smoke 2 bowls or more per day of more aggressively and deeper. I smoke 4 to 6 bowls per day. While I don't puff like a freight train, I'm definitely not a sipper. Three is no right or wrong though, if you're happy with the satisfaction level you're getting from your pipe smoking, that's what it's about. If you're not, then there's plenty of expert advice here. I've certainly increased my satisfaction level from many things I've learned here.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
On work days, it's one pipe. I'll light it when I get in the car, and smoke during the 20 minute drive. Then relight on each break 10 min/30 min/10 min, then smoke on the 20 minute drive home and finish the pipe once I'm home. On off days, I generally smoke 1-2 bowls.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
One thing can help with tamping is using a tamper with holes on it so when you tamp lightly with it while puffing air can still get in the bowl making easier to keep it lighted. I found it pretty useful.

jonas

Lurker
Apr 19, 2018
I let the tobacco dictate my cadence. If I’m being honest I usually push it to it’s or my limit. As a cigar smoker I smoke for flavor but also enjoy a healthy amount of smoke. So depending on the tobacco I’ll smoke it to just below the point where it starts to get too hot for my pipe or my tongue.

There is no right or wrong. But, if you are smoking for affect, then puffing clouds of smoke are probably what you are looking for, and that is not to be criticized, perfectly ok.
But, if you want the most flavor and the most absorption of nicotine, then smoking slow is the better way. Smoking slowly, rolling the smoke around my tongue, playing with it in my mouth, frolicking even, relishing every nuance of flavor is what I enjoy the most. Just puffing smoke in and out isn't giving me anything except a nervous habit... for me. You may have your own reasons.
But, I have noticed that when I smoke slowly, my pipes all seem to cake more evenly and faster, which means I have to clean more often, but it could be a sign that my pipes like being smoked this way. I intake more nicotine, making me more relaxed and languid in my seat.
I have rarely ever had a whole bowl last less than 45 minutes also. And, I am a ribbon cut fan. I would feel sort of cheated if a smoke went any faster. Quick is just not a term I associate with pipe smoking.
By the way, I tamp early when lighting my pipe, and maybe one more time near the bottom, but I don't make tamping a big part of keeping the bowl lit, unless I just packed to loosely. It's interesting how different people use the tamp differently. It's interesting that some would tamp to keep a bowl lit. Pipes are just interesting altogether. :puffy:

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I skimmed through most of the replies, so apologies if I'm rehashing an already mentioned point.

If the tobacco is on the drier side, you tamp lightly and frequently, and the pipe still extinguishes too often.. I may have some advice.
I think the charring light is very important. It sets the tone for the rest of the smoke. When I watch someone new to the pipe trying it out I like to watch their technique and their instincts. I've often observed weak charring lights!
In my opinion, being thorough is the key. Make sure you hit the entire top of the tobacco.. It should create a sizeable cloud of smoke. Tamp it down snug, then hit it quickly with flame to get the bowl rolling.
So that's my advice. Focus on a thorough charring light.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Hoosierpipeguy, I smoke a pipe 3 times per day on work days and 4 times on non-work days. I never smoke just 1 bowl at a time, always 4 bowls. Given my method, 4 bowls takes me around 45-50 minutes.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
+1 on the charring light.
I've found that whether I pack loose or tighter, ribbon or flake, moist or on the dry side, a proper charring light definitely gives me better results most of the time.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
How do you get a thorough charring light without scorching the tobacco or making the pipe unbearable hot?
Please note that I use a very simplified version of the Frank Method to pack my pipe (I could never get good smokes with other methods, or even without a method), so the tobacco doesn't rise with the charring.

Status
Not open for further replies.