PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Maidhof or West Sea? Maidhof is one of the coolest nautical antique stores I’ve ever been to. I haven’t been to West sea yet.
Westsea. The guy was in the Navy for about ten years. Then he went into salvage. He is still partners with his ex-wife who is from Taiwan.
She had a Thanksgiving party a few years ago there were four couples there, all former Navy guys and four Asian wives. When we left my wife said, “I just discovered that I belong to a club, I never knew existed.”

I went to Maidhof once and did get some New Guinea masks. I think they just closed down.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Westsea. The guy was in the Navy for about ten years. Then he went into salvage. He is still partners with his ex-wife who is from Taiwan.
She had a Thanksgiving party a few years ago there were four couples there, all former Navy guys and four Asian wives. When we left my wife said, “I just discovered that I belong to a club, I never knew existed.”

I went to Maidhof once and did get some New Guinea masks. I think they just closed down.
Thats too bad about Maidhofs, that was a cool place. I knew quite a few guys that were married to Asian gals when I was In the Navy, I think its a pretty big club.

Reactions: Briar Tuck
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I'd really like to own one of those pipe rests from the H.M.S. Victory. It would be simply great to own such a piece of history. Of course, while I am dreaming, I'd really like one from the U.S.S. Constitution.
Old Ironsides undergoes repairs on a very regular basis, there is constantly old wood being removed and replaced. You can buy pens turned from her timbers.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Old Ironsides undergoes repairs on a very regular basis, there is constantly old wood being removed and replaced. You can buy pens turned from her timbers.

Dang, I might have to get one of those.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I’ve got a deck chair from the Titanic that George Santos gave me from back in the day when he was the captain of the ship…. 😆😂🤣
@verporchting: Funny you should mention that since he sold me one as well along with an unpublished manuscript by Oscar Wild entitled 'Stretching Your Friends. A Complete Guide to Putting Large Things in Small Holes' apparently 'Big Bouncing Butch' Oscar dedicated the book to him when they were lovers! :eek:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Growing up in England I had quite a few friends whose Mothers were Hong Kong or Malaysian Chinese. Getting an invite to their house for dinner was very sought after as the food was amazing when compared to what we Brit's normally ate back in the early 1970s. My Mother used to say it was all 'Foreign food' and then served up liver and beacon and mashed potatoes, at that point I immediately realized the attraction of an exotic wife!!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I wasn’t really sure anyone here would know what treen was, save our members from GB. It’s Brit slang for kitschy folk art bobbles made out of wood. But treen from ship breaking was fairly thriving cottage industry at one time. Barrel shaped humidors turned on a lathe are the most common item found.

I certainly would have assumed the worst if I hadn’t run across the word in one of Jonathan Gash’s Lovejoy novels forty years ago. In one of the books Lovejoy mentions treen, which in that case referred to wooden cooking implements dating from the Elizabethan era.

• Haha
Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I don't know if it qualifies as "Naval Treen" but I've got several items around the house from my time in the service. Most impressive in my collection is probably the chronometer from my grandfather's last ship.

I don't know if it still works, but all of the labels from the manufacturer are still attached. My final unit happened to be birthed in San Pedro for this clock was built. I tried to visit them well I was stationed there but they had sadly closed down a long time ago.

PXL_20230225_191445396.jpgPXL_20230225_191504702.jpgPXL_20230225_192339539.jpgPXL_20230225_192443333.jpg