Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
There was at one time a fairly brisk industry of making decorative household goods out teak and other hard woods reclaimed from ships being broken. I’ve seen anchor shaped pipe racks, humidors, and rests like this one. Mine is a pipe rest made from the teak decking of the 1st RMS Mauretania. A Double Blue Riband ocean liner laid down in 1904 and operated by Cunard White Star lines until 1934. She was the fastest ship crossing the Atlantic for nearly 20years and the largest ship until the Olympic was built in 1910. I’ve seen a few pipe racks made from Timbers of HMS Victory, I’d really like to get my hands on one of those, but they generally sell for a lot of money.72781DFF-EBA8-47F2-8F2E-0BFCA0063342.jpeg14A4FEFD-6293-4144-85CA-7D378E074190.jpeg569624B1-D71A-473E-87EC-3172FA9CCB92.jpeg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Looks like a school woodworking project - do they come flat pack in boxes of 10?
They were most likely made by less than skilled tradesmen, pensioners, and other folks just trying to make a buck from reclaimed materials. It’s not really about the artistry or quality. Most of the naval treen all looks the same and follows just a few basic patterns. kinda like meerschaum cuttys😉

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
To be honest, I was a little scared to click on a title like, “show us your naval treen,” It took me a minute to notice that it was “naval” and not “navel.” And, being a forum full of us old hairy fat guys, I wasn’t sure what a treen was, but figured it was nasty.

Nice pipe holders!
I wasn’t really sure anyone here would know what treen was, save our members from GB. It’s Brit slang for kitschy folk art bobbles made out of wood. But treen from ship breaking was fairly thriving cottage industry at one time. Barrel shaped humidors turned on a lathe are the most common item found.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
To be honest, I was a little scared to click on a title like, “show us your naval treen,” It took me a minute to notice that it was “naval” and not “navel.” And, being a forum full of us old hairy fat guys, I wasn’t sure what a treen was, but figured it was nasty.

Nice pipe holders!
Me too! But we did anyway :ROFLMAO:

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I have a couple of teak doors. The one on top was from a Dutch ship. I will be installing it at the entrance to my man cave this spring. They both used to be in my house in Maine, but I took them with me when I moved to Texas. Notice the teak floor. View attachment 204971View attachment 204972
Love it! Do you know what vessel(s) the doors were salvaged from? I've never seen caulked decking in a house, what did you caulk it with, or did you just use lighter colored wood to give the illusion of caulking?

Zack Miller

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
The shipping line is Hollandsche Vrachtvaart Maatschappij. I don’t know specifically which ship.
View attachment 204978
The floor was in the house when we bought it. The lighter wood between the teak is holly.
I have a friend in San Diego who has a nautical antique store. I got the doors from him along with a binnacle, telegraph, teak coffee table, lanterns, scrimshaw, etc.

His house and store look like museums.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I have a friend in San Diego who has a nautical antique store. I got the doors from him along with a binnacle, telegraph, teak coffee table, lanterns, scrimshaw, etc.

His house and store look like museums.
Maidhof or West Sea? Maidhof is one of the coolest nautical antique stores I’ve ever been to. I haven’t been to West sea yet.

Reactions: Briar Tuck