PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I was looking at this old LHS ad from 1946. It appears that the Purex Superfine models from that period were made from "domestic briar". It caused me to take a second look at the ones I have.
1-LHS%201946%20ad_zpslvjh4941.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Drunken ebay bidding is how I ended up with my Bau-Bau.
They used "domestic" briar throughout WWII. The Superfine model was in production before and after the war, and was made from Mediterranean briar. Pre-war Purex models were stamped only Purex, and made were from domestic briar during the war. Post war, they were renamed Certified Purex after briar importation resumed.
War time Superfine's and Purex didn't have any metal fittings. One example of my domestic briar LHS has a vulcanite threaded tennon and stinger.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I missed the edit window.
Pre-war

Purex imported briar
War time

Purex, with imported briar stamp deleted. (No metal fittings)
Post war

Certified Purex imported briar.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
During WWII shipping in the Mediterranean was disrupted. American pipe makers including Kaywoodie and Dr. Grabow, began looking for a suitable replacement. Domestic briar was also known as mission briar. Rosewood, Strawberry wood, Manzanita, and Mountain Laurel were some of the woods used during the war.
Prior to WWII, most American pipes were stamped Briar or Bruyere. Post war, American pipe makers began to stamp their pipes Imported Briar.
Here is my only example of a domestic briar Purex Superfine. No metal fittings. The threaded tennon and stinger is made of vulcanite. I'm not sure which type of mission briar this is made from, but it has a beautiful grain pattern. I mostly steer clear of the domestic briar era pipes, but they are an interesting piece of pipe history. They are usually badly grained or heavily rusticated, and are notorious for being hot smokers. This pipe is the exception to the rule.
1UqBhwwl.jpg

k7XkR6ol.jpg

J8QnPjVl.jpg

lOpRxtsl.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Kinda of hard to score an LHS these days but I did get this little 5 panel Purex, even if it was (is) a little beat up.
purex%2002_zpspp8jwiaq.jpg

purex%2003_zpshcqfsvcu.jpg

purex%2001_zpsi9y3w4qb.jpg

I sipped a little Orlik Golden Slice in it tonight and it was a very nice experiance.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Ahh, so that's who sniped me. I'm glad to see it went to a good home. That's an elegant pre-war panel. Great condition for a briar pushing 100 years old.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Here's the latest addition. NOS Certified Purex. Never smoked and fill free. All it needed was a stem deoxidizing and a fresh coat of wax.
9gGNnKsl.jpg

5WJUH5nl.jpg

Xlh8WFzl.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Just drop dead gorgeous! You have the premier LHS collection on the planet.
BTW, I had no idea my #20 panel was that old. I'll start treating it a little better now =)

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I see what you mean Dave. I agree with what tuold says. Just hand it up an admire it.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Here is my only example of a domestic briar Purex Superfine. No metal fittings. The threaded tennon and stinger is made of vulcanite. I'm not sure which type of mission briar this is made from, but it has a beautiful grain pattern. I mostly steer clear of the domestic briar era pipes, but they are an interesting piece of pipe history. They are usually badly grained or heavily rusticated, and are notorious for being hot smokers. This pipe is the exception to the rule.
I don't recall ever seeing a stem with a threaded vulcanite tenon! Interesting !! I've collected several examples of WW2 non briar pipes. The only one I smoke is a D&P Spartan. It does tend to get a bit warm but is very light and smokes great.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
My first post about the Purex timeline was incorrect. Here is a general guideline for the Purex model.
Pre-WWII

Stamped Purex, Purex real briar root, Purex briar root. Pre-war Purex had metal fittings
War time

Stamped only Purex or Purex Superfine. Most these were stained very dark or rusticated, made of domestic briar and had no metal fittings.
Post war

The Purex line was renamed Certified Purex to assure the customer they were buying quality briar again. Post war is when they changed the stampings from real briar root to imported briar.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I really appreciate that information about dating. Now I know a bit more about this pipe:
LHS_zpsn7newkp0.jpg

It does have the real briar root stamping. Also has "161" on the bottom.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Very cool. I like that Bakelite or Redmanol stem. If it's Redmanol, they stopped making those in 1922? and switched to Bakelite. Don't quote me just yet on that date. I'll have to dig up the info at home on the Redmanol.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I just recently got this pipe, and gave it a little restoration. A nice Sterncrest lovat with some interesting carving, that my wife called ugly, but I think it's unique. It didn't need much work, but the stem was a bit of a mess and needed a crack repaired on the button and the oxidation removed. It also had a weird stinger which was just a little half inch cone of wood or something but the opening was so small, it wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner. I had to cut it off, and drill it out. Polished up the silver band that is stamped with the LHS in a diamond stamp, and Sterling Silver. The inside of the bowl and shank was pretty clean, but the outside of the bowl was fairly dirty but wasn't hard to clean up and polish.

I have no idea of the vintage of this pipe, but it looks like it may be a love it or hate it style pipe.

img_000310-600x332.jpg

img_00098-600x328.jpg

img_00049-600x326.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Orely, I love that lovat, It looks great!
dave, I thought those yellow stems were amberoid. (?)
noun

synthetic amber made by compressing pieces of various resins at a high temperature. Maybe it's the same thing.