PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I just picked up this Park Lane Deluxe apple with a Cumberland stem.

lhs-park-lane-apple-004-009-7572.jpg

I really love the classic apple shape. Is there any way to date this pipe?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
That's the best collection on the planet! Those Park Lanes are very nice.
I found a "Made in England" LHS pipe in my collection. That was something new to me. I haven't done anything with it yet.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Made in England? Yeah, that's new to me as well. I wonder who the company in England was. You may remember my BBB made by LHS. Wouldn't that be interesting if BBB made pipes for LHS.
I'd like to see some pictures of it when you have time. Shoot me a PM if it's not shined up and ready for primetime. Push stem or threaded?
@ Stan
That Park Lane is gorgeous. I'm not sure about dates for the Park Lane model. If there isn't a patent number, I think it's safe to say it's somewhere between post war and 1960 when the factory closed.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
dave g, I did a cursory cleaning just so as not to gross anybody out.
After looking more closely, the stamp actually says, "London Made" over the LHS diamond. It's worn and difficult to see, especially through my very poor photography. It has a push stem with no evidence of a stinger.
So, not much to look at, but maybe it's an interesting specimen. I'm sure it will smoke just fine.
LHS%20London%20002_zpsevlls18a.jpg

LHS%20London%20001_zpsohll6ks7.jpg

LHS%20London%20003_zpssec4snye.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Not much to look at? I think that's a good looking pipe. Nice work too. The grain on the shank is wild. So there isn't a model name, just London England over LHS?

A shape number could match up to the English maker if it has one.
The plot thickens.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
While searching eBay I ran across some terrific pictures of LHS counter top and wall displays. These were taken from stereoscopic picture slides from eBay seller 3d-drt-3d.
OohGDgEl.jpg

0rOQjsMl.jpg

7ZsW2ELl.jpg

Jjt9Wn8l.jpg

b7fc5zLl.jpg

Hwduo7Xl.jpg

J0CsF3Ll.jpg

hMeozJOl.jpg

wEbCm65l.jpg

kCtiGQPl.jpg

czK5hmfl.jpg

ozo0HMkl.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Wow! I'll take one of each display.
Now I know all the LHS shapes I don't have.
I never would have guessed "Doc Frog" would have been a mascot for Purex pipes. Google search turns up nothing for me, so I doubt it was ever used in print ads.
These images are great. I'm going to be drooling over them for quite a while....

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Outstanding pictures Dave ! I don't recall ever seeing any LSH displays like those. That wide dispaly would look great hanging on a wall opposite my Skyliner !

Mar 30, 2014
wv
@ Ed
I've never seen any LHS displays, and believe me I've been looking for a while.
I think this picture could be a glimpse of the Stern factory lobby. Notice the absence of tobacco and the multiple wall displays in the shadows of the background?
7ZsW2ELl.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
This LHS Certified Purex churchwarden belongs to my friend Joe M. from DGCF. I asked him to send me pictures to post on the forum, because an example this rare deserves to be seen.
b65w6e9l.jpg

pQvJHW7l.jpg

ShXqnSgl.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Just received this estate Sterncrest 14K eight panel from Smokingpipes.com today. I missed the fact that the pipe came with the original sock and box, so that was a nice surprise. That solid gold band alone has to be worth what I paid for everything =)At any rate I count it as a bargain considering I didn't have to endure any ebay greif.
14k%2000_zpsoeipdkur.jpg

14k_zpsusuolzm6.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Tuold that's a real beaut! Not many LHS panels out there. Congrats.
I have a bid on a Stern panel at the moment. Fingers crossed.