SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 1, 2012
Absolutely stunning Barling's pipes sable, thanks for sharing. Really a fan of the brand but they often go for more than I am willing/able to shell out at the time.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Here is the latest Barling restoration I finished for flaky. It is an arched Barlings Make stamp with number 1796, and on the reverse of the shank is the size "L" along with the tobacconist stamp (OFFER & CO, BOURNEMOUTH). It turned out rather well :)
kf57.jpg

fgu5.jpg

fr9k.jpg

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@sable, a stunning pipe!! No silverwork needed!! lol I would love to smoke it - I hope you do!!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Sablebrush, thanks for posting those, It's just great to be able to see the pictures.
Dave

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Ugh! @Sable - I feel for you. Those pipes must call you to smoke them all the time. On one hand, it's sad that beautiful 107 year old Barling's like haven't been smoked. Odds are, they are fantastic smokers. On the other hand, there aren't many unsmoked Barlings left, much less a cased set like that and can you be responsible for ending that.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
barling3.jpg

My only Barling product is this 'second' Londoner pipe. I will have to add it's one of the best smokers I own.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
This is my only Barling, a Regency EXEL TVE getting ready for a bowl of Frog Morton.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Most excellent thread. Serious pipe envy going on ATM. :wink:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Those pipes must call you to smoke them all the time. On one hand, it's sad that beautiful 107 year old Barling's like haven't been smoked. Odds are, they are fantastic smokers. On the other hand, there aren't many unsmoked Barlings left, much less a cased set like that and can you be responsible for ending that.
Fortunately I have a nice selection of vintage Barling pipes from this period that I do smoke, so I have no desire to set a match to these. It would also be a pretty expensive match since once smoked they're just another set of old Barlings and half the value disappears. How many unsmoked Barling sets of this vintage in the world? A hundred, maybe? And this particular set? Well, at east one since we're lookng at it.

There is something wonderful about seeing what these were like when they left the factory. The case is like a little time machine.

Buying an unsmoked antique piece is a total departure for me, one that I thought I would never make, as I smoke the pipes that I own. But I don't see it as a shame that these are unsmoked, because there is no shortage of smoked antique pipes in the world, and smoked versions of these show up from time to time, just no longer cased and a bit beat up. No, not a shame, but more a good thing, so that pipesters who appreciate the history as well as the practice can have something to enjoy in that way.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A few months ago there was a wonderful thread featuring pokers and their variants that Peck had started, but my attempts to search for it failed. Since this cherry wood shape is a Barling, I'll just post it here.
barling_poker_downangle_right_side-600x400.jpg

barling_guinea_grain_l_down_angle_profile-600x305.jpg

barling_guinea_grain_l_side_profile-600x295.jpg

barling_guinea_grain_profile_r_side-600x272.jpg

barling_poker_top_view-600x262.jpg

barling_poker_top_view_cu-600x468.jpg

barling_poker_cu_bowl_r_side-521x600.jpg

barlng_poker_cu_bowl_l_side-400x600.jpg

It's definitely a learning curve with this new camera and lights.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I picked this one up after Christmas and while this is a post transition Barling(International), it has interesting history. Our well respected member sablebrush("The Barling Guru") told me he had heard that Eric Nording had a hand in making these pipes in his factory. But had no confirmation of that.

On a recent trip to The Briary in Alabama, Mr. Nording was there as a guest. Forum member shaintiques was asked by sablebrush to confirm the story. I luckily walked up just as Dave asked Mr. Nording about it. He confirmed that he had indeed been the maker of Barling pipes in Denmark post transition.
My pipe.