PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Sablebrush52, I am leaning towards well-made replacement. Based on your drawing and other examples I have seen, the contour is about right until a little more than the midpoint of the stem, at which point the convex contour flattens. Whatever the case, the airway lines up perfectly from draft hole to button and provides a wonderfully smooth draw.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
As you guys both know, I think the most interesting thing about that pipe is the Made in London England mark. Maybe a picture for the next pipedia edit?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
dmcmtk, I would be happy to provide that picture to someone with the ability to edit the Pipedia article. Pipedia's information on Barling pipes has been quite helpful.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
dmcmtk, I would be happy to provide that picture to someone with the ability to edit the Pipedia article. Pipedia's information on Barling pipes has been quite helpful.
You only need to look four posts up, sablebrush52 is the man!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
TVF 5264
su5jkWVl.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Here is my WWII-era Barling. This pipe is fresh back from Mike Myers at Walker Pipe Repair. When I rescued the old girl she was in as rough a shape as many of the British forces evacuated from Dunkirk 75 years ago (nearly to the day). She needed a lot of work, including a new stem. As it turned out, she needed even more repair than I first thought. Namely, the tobacco chamber was so rough that a total bowl coating was required. I am still waiting for the coating to thoroughly cure, at which point I will make this a special occasions smoker.
Here are before and after pictures. I was not going for the typical TV trick of poor quality "before" pictures juxtaposed with high quality "after" pictures, I just did not have a good photography set-up before sending the pipe to Walker.

I am very happy with the work Mike performed. For a stem pattern he had no more than photos from eBay listings and a catalog scan graciously provided by a forum member. The cracks in the bowl were too fine for sealing with glue, and I hope they stay that way. Mike is hesitant to apply bowl coatings, but persuaded me of the necessity of doing so in this case.
The tarnish on the shank cap was not there when I received the pipe from Walker. I need to find a gentle polish that will resist future tarnishing.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ach, my heart just broke a little. I had a similar Barling to the one above, but it went missing a long time ago. I had almost forgotten about it. I do have a Canadian that I bought new around 1965. I will post px later.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
jpmcwjr, I am sorry to hear of your lost Barling and that bad memories have been dredged to the surface. I would love to see the Canadian.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you. It's not so bad- just my carelessness, and I hold a tiny bit of hope it'll turn up in a box of something quite unrelated!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Cape Cod Metal Polishing Cloths work like a dream on sterling, should be available at the local hardware store. Wipe and buff with paper towel. Pipe looks great!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
dmcmtk, Thanks for that tip and the compliment. I really wondered if saving the pipe was worth the cost, but I am glad I went through with it. As a smoker, it will always be compromised by the bowl coating, but I am glad this survivor has a new lease on life.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'm afraid the stem is not original. How might I go about getting one with the crossed names?
You know, to be honest with you, if it smokes fine for you I don't know that I would go to the trouble and expense. It can be done however, and as I recall samcoffeeman had Walker do a couple for him.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Buroak,
Congratulations on the restoration! Looks like Mike did a good job on the stem, and the pipe looks great! The proportions of the airway opening are a little too high to its width, but overall it's a very nice job. The Barling bit is one of the more difficult to get right.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Sable, question about the 1882 Barling -- does it have a metal screw or bone screw? Also, although I've seen the pics before, I had no idea it was from 1882, which is A) amazing, and B) probably the earliest (datable) briar pipe I think I've ever seen. Wow.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable, question about the 1882 Barling -- does it have a metal screw or bone screw? Also, although I've seen the pics before, I had no idea it was from 1882, which is A) amazing, and B) probably the earliest (datable) briar pipe I think I've ever seen. Wow.
The screw is sterling silver. Like most Barling silver work, the fitments are pretty substantial, not thin.