PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
The fact is blindmansleeps that men and women often make sarcastic jokes about one another and BOTH find it funny. My wife and I do this all the time. We find each other to be hilarious. I don't know at what level of education you teach, but it sounds a bit like you have swallowed the communal kool-aid and buy into the notion that no sensitivity, however extreme, shall go unprotected. I am a part-time university prof too, so I know the environment.

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
I get that Peck. My wife and I kid with each other in the same way, knowing that we're kidding. When the addressee is not familiar with the speaker, however, the message itself becomes at the least indeterminable, and left to a multitude of interpretations (which is why I would never make such a joke in public). Which is why you shouldn't take my mentioning that single element as isolated. Instead, my take-away has been built on a number of experiences taken together. Given clearer context within which the addressee sits, an indeterminate statement becomes less indeterminate. This is pretty much Roman Jakobson's scheme of language comprehension verbatim. Language doesn't exist in a vacuum, and it doesn't exist as an essence. Speakers, listeners, contexts, all work fluidly. So don't isolate that individual instance so much, but consider it as belonging to number of variables, which have, apparently, in my case led to a certain tendency.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
This is pretty much Roman Jakobson's scheme of language comprehension verbatim. Language doesn't exist in a vacuum, and it doesn't exist as an essence. Speakers, listeners, contexts, all work fluidly. So don't isolate that individual instance so much, but consider it as belonging to number of variables, which have, apparently, in my case led to a certain tendency.
And, If the Dog did not stop to take a Shit, He would have Caught the Cat! What does this have to do with pipe smoking??? NOW, what blend of tobacco do you prefer...

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
Weezell, I agree. It has nothing to do with pipe smoking. Which is why I've been a little confused when strange statements have surfaced. Just ran across another one on tobaccoreviews.
Anyways, I have to be honest. I've only been smoking a pipe for something like two months. I've had the chance to smoke some great tobaccos, but I'm still learning a ton. Right now, I'm enjoying a MacBaren blend: Plumcake. Though, I recently got a taste of Latakia, and am looking to dive more in that direction. Any suggestions?

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I recently got a taste of Latakia, and am looking to dive more in that direction. Any suggestions?
Since this storm has seemed to blow over I could suggest Sutiff's Blend No. 5 or Dunhill's My Mixture 965 both great Latakia blends

~Ron

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've read this thread with interest. My conclusion is that blindmansleeps is a very bigoted and intolerant individual.
I'm surprised the thread has lasted as long as it has. Still, there's been a laugh or two in it.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Regarding latakia blends, I just had a nice bowl of GLP Quiet Nights. I think GLP Meridian might be close to the platonic ideal of latakia mixture. Dunhill's 965 is another great suggestion. I can't get on board with rmason's other suggestion because for a couple of reasons I don't smoke Sutliff tobaccos.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Annnnndddd... We're done. Thanks to all the contestants who've played!
Seriously though, I think this thread has run its course.
Blindmansleeps: Feel free to start a new thread asking about blend recommendations. Also, feel free to post an introduction in THIS THREAD. You've made quite a splash with your first post and I think you caught a little more heat than was truly warranted. We try to greet all new members with open arms. We'll just chalk this one up to, "You got us on an off day."
For the record, I disagree that the pipe-smoking community is sexist in MY definition of the word. Does everyone share MY opinion? Probably not. But in that, opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone's got one.
So, I extend my hand (an olive branch might be more in order, though) in friendship and greeting you to the pipesmagazine.com forums. Please read over THE RULES, and please show us your pipes and blends! We're suckers for pics.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.