PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I don't know why it is; but for the past few years whenever spring rolls around, something clicks in the old seasonal clock in my brain and I switch all my pipe smoking to cobs and my daily tobacco usage to Virginias. I will smoke my cobs all through the summer, and sometime after our first frost, something compels me to switch back to my briars. So in the last two days I have switched to my cobs. Tonight's smoke for example will be in my mm freehand probably loaded up with some 4nogs Weybridge and then a bowl of Jack Knife plug.
Anyone else go through such a transition?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I don't know why it is; but for the past few years whenever spring rolls around, something clicks in the old seasonal clock in my brain and I switch all my pipe smoking to cobs and my daily tobacco usage to Virginias. I will smoke my cobs all through the summer, and sometime after our first frost, something compels me to switch back to my briars. So in the last two days I have switched to my cobs. Tonight's smoke for example will be in my mm freehand probably loaded up with some 4nogs Weybridge and then a bowl of Jack Knife plug.
Anyone else go through such a transition?
🤔
Nope 😁
Whatever takes my fancy on the day with pipes AND tobacco

Unlike food when it’s salads in summer and
porridge, soup and stews in winter 😁

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I sorta do this. When we have a hot and humid hell day... I smoke the cob and find VA are the best option. Other ones lose something. I am talking though about those freak days where I am more sweat then man. I guess if conditions like that make a noticable difference, then it stands to reason that the seasonal changes might make subtle changes that make a type of pipe or tobacco more enjoyable. Then there is also association. I know there are certain situations where I enjoy a particular pipe more then other pipes. And it's purely association with past experiences. Like certain walks or hikes I'll want to smoke the same pipe I smoked the first time I took that hike.
Though if it derives more pleasure for you, then you're doing it right.

Browny

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2022
Great Southern Land
... it stands to reason that the seasonal changes might make subtle changes that make a type of pipe or tobacco more enjoyable...
Temperature and humidity would very much influence our experience/choices, look at how much we put into preparation.

I didn't mean it to sound like I was discounting it, I just don't get that much of a fluctuation where I live for it to be a big influence, just subtropical, day temp's from winter (maybe 16c) to summer (maybe 36c) so rarely differ beyond 20 deg' celcius, it's more the humidity that changes, but it's never really dry either.
Though if it derives more pleasure for you, then you're doing it right.
That's what's it's all about right there.

Last edited:

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
I guess I pretty much don't have a seasonal routine, as I have such a wide variety all through the year. The only difference I really notice is I seem to enjoy the "Seasonal" tobacco blends around Christmas, but I always attributed that to the Holiday and cold weather.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I smoke my cobs more often in the warmer months but that is dictated more by my activities. I'm outside more working in the dirt, working on cars and such so my hands are constantly filthy and covered in oil, dirt and whatever chemicals I'm messing with. My cobs take a lot of abuse that I don't want to expose my other pipes to.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
The only thing I change is the pipe with windy weather (usually spring here on the prairie), I choose a pipe with a cap or one that take a cap easily if I am smoking outside. No changes in tobacco itself.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
When the weather warms, I set aside a pipe for weeks which can turn to months and not miss it.

But come the first cool weather of the fall season a smile spreads across my face. Love the fall weather and tobacco.

The long winter is my pipe time. I really look forward to my daily, usually early morning bowls.

Nicotine has no hold on me. Nothing does.

I remember having this conversation with @saltedplug - I do miss him and his eccentricities. He was relating how nicotine is the most addictive substance known.

For some personality types, maybe that’s so. Alcohol et al. But I’ve always been an everything in moderation type and can’t understand addictions.

I remember saying to him that discipline is a muscle that needs exercise. He hasn’t been seen since.

Reactions: SBC