PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My usual limit for impulsive purchases of old pipes is about $30.

But now and again I splurge and spend a little more, with another limit around a hundred dollars for either an extraordinary pipe or something I don’t have, yet.

This is my first real, honest to God Cutty, and it has legs, and it’s a high grade Weber that unboxed in perfect condition ready to smoke, for $47 delivered. It’s a fairly large pipe, as well, polished and fancy, with beautiful grain.

I know the Cutty shape began with clay pipes.

But for those who know more about the history of the Cutty, tell me all about em’.

Why the name Cutty, I’d like to know?

Why is the bowl slanted forward?

Why are Cutty briars so scarce?

Any purpose for the legs besides making them a sitter?

IMG_5827.jpegIMG_5829.jpegIMG_5830.jpeg
IMG_5831.jpeg

Last edited:

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
Nice pipe! Great questions also. I'm sorry other then my compliments I cannot be of much help. I believe it's up to the maker these days with probably no strict parameters. I make what I call a cutty and it looks nothing like your gem. If I had to guess, I'd say your correct in the shape began with the clay pipes. Looks very similar to a church warden. A cut down church warden, maybe thats where they got the name, a "cut" down church warden....cutty. BTW, I've heard, the reason the church wardens were so long is because they use to sit in church and smoke, resting the pipe on the pew in front of them. For what ever that's worth...

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
My usual limit for impulsive purchases of old pipes is about $30.

But now and again I splurge and spend a little more, with another limit around a hundred dollars for either an extraordinary pipe or something I don’t have, yet.

This is my first real, honest to God Cutty, and it has legs, and it’s a high grade Weber that unboxed in perfect condition ready to smoke, for $47 delivered. It’s a fairly large pipe, as well, polished and fancy, with beautiful grain.

I know the Cutty shape began with clay pipes.

But for those who know more about the history of the Cutty, tell me all about em’.

Why the name Cutty, I’d like to know?

Why is the bowl slanted forward?

Why are Cutty briars so scarce?

Any purpose for the legs besides making them a sitter?

View attachment 265668View attachment 265669View attachment 265670
View attachment 265673
What you've got there is a Walrus crossed with a Cutty. It's a Wutty. Cutties normally have a single spur on the bottom. If the spur is absent it's called a Belge or Belgique, though some people still call them cutties.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
While it's no 3 star Lee, you might enjoy going down @alaskanpiper Cutty Madness fun as you ruminate over the Cutty shape.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
While it's no 3 star Lee, you might enjoy going down @alaskanpiper Cutty Madness fun as you ruminate over the Cutty shape.

That was a fun one!

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Nice pipe! Great questions also. I'm sorry other then my compliments I cannot be of much help. I believe it's up to the maker these days with probably no strict parameters. I make what I call a cutty and it looks nothing like your gem. If I had to guess, I'd say your correct in the shape began with the clay pipes. Looks very similar to a church warden. A cut down church warden, maybe thats where they got the name, a "cut" down church warden....cutty. BTW, I've heard, the reason the church wardens were so long is because they use to sit in church and smoke, resting the pipe on the pew in front of them. For what ever that's worth...
I thought the churchwarden with a long stem was favored by "wardens" keeping watch outside the churches and the long stem kept the light of flame from being close to the eyes and altering the ability to see out into the dark...

But like my father told me: you can hear anything if you listen long enough.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Very wise question Briar Lee. I have, of course, been ruminating about this too. In my reflections I have not found much...

Some people have said that the "feet" are heat dissipators, but I don't believe that. It seems a lot more likely that it is just for the pipe to sit.

Looking at charts of clay pipes through the years, it seems like they became less canted over time. My guess is that it was just easier to connect the bowl with the draft hole that way.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Think ships. With sails and masts. Think pirates. Now I'm thinking South China Sea. Or is it Red Sea. Wait the Horn of Africa..

Every son and daughter of the Ozark hills learned this lullaby as a child, sixty and some years ago.

Ships and sailors and such are far away from home, and are in constant peril from their rambling ways on the boundless sea.

Let’s hope the brave captain and crew of the Carpathia were smoking their Cutty pipes, or Walrus pipes, or such as they raced to the rescue, when the great ship Titanic went down.:)

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I’ve always assumed the foot was just a handy way to hold a clay pipe with a ridiculously hot bowl.

What you have there is a wutty! (Walrus cutty). If you do choose to peruse the Cutty Madness thread, you will see one in there as well.

I am very fond of the shape, but I honestly couldn’t tell you why, beyond that I find them aesthetically pleasing, and of course their historic longevity.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Very wise question Briar Lee. I have, of course, been ruminating about this too. In my reflections I have not found much...

Some people have said that the "feet" are heat dissipators, but I don't believe that. It seems a lot more likely that it is just for the pipe to sit.

Looking at charts of clay pipes through the years, it seems like they became less canted over time. My guess is that it was just easier to connect the bowl with the draft hole that way.
the cant made it easier to quickly fire the pipes without too much extra fussing about. Basically you could shove an nearly straight wire through the stem and bowl without damaging the chamber walls.
I have been told the main things the foot did is give a cool place to hold the pipe that wasn't as fragile as the stem and also to make the bowl less likely to break off from the stem.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Having spent a fair amount of time smoking cutty shaped pipes and "tavern" pipes (basically a churchwarden-length cutty) I have my own theories about why they're shaped the way they are. Here's an example of a briar tavern pipe. This is pretty close to how the old clay pipes were shaped back in the day. This is a Ropp:
IMG_2852.jpg
First: the fact that the bowl is canted, and roughly egg-shaped means it fits comfortably in the closed palm of my hand—(I love the hand-feel of an egg)—and when I hold the bowl in my hand, the stem is oriented directly towards my face. I can hold my forearm and hand in a position of almost maximum relaxation, especially if I'm sitting down (say at a table, in a tavern). I don't need to lift my hand up towards my face. I said this in a previous thread, but the way I see it is, it's not that the bowl is canted away from the stem, but that the stem is canted away from the bowl, towards your face. I think cutties were designed the way they were for well-considered, practical reasons, and the design has not been improved upon. (YMMV!)

Second: if I hold the stummel between my index and middle fingers (the way I would a cigarette or a cigar) at the transition, the spur sits snugly against the inside of my 1st knuckle (at the base of my middle finger.) I can hold the pipe this way rather mindlessly and walk around. This position also comfortably orients the stem towards my face. It gives me a very secure grip, so I think the spur serves a purpose beyond allowing the pipe to (possibly) sit. (The wutty design is different/unconventional. I don't think it would be as comfortable to hold, but I've never owned one, so maybe I'm wrong on that count. The fact that a wutty can sit firmly on your desktop is kinda cool though.)

The third, historical, point is that clay tavern pipes were made with long stems because they were designed to be rented by tavern patrons. You could grab a beer and order a bowl of tobacco, back in the days when that was a more rare commodity. (People didn't necessarily own their own pipes, or have a supply of tobacco on hand.) The pipes were disposable, and meant to be reused by multiple customers, so rather than cleaning and sanitizing the slobber off the stem, the end could be snapped off and rented to the next person. Once the stem was down to a nub, the pipe would be discarded. So you'd see cutties with all lengths of stem from long "churchwardens" down to stubby little numbers. An eminently practical design, through and through, IMO.

Here's my latest cutty which arrived in the mail yesterday from France. This is a Ropp stummel, finished, and with a hand-cut stem, by Belgian artisan Bruno Nuttens. All proceeds from the purchase of this pipe go towards a charity which is trying to save the old Ropp factory in Baume-Les-Dames, France.
IMG_3941.jpeg
This is the most canted cutty I've owned. When I hold this at a comfortable angle, the bowl points downwards. Any practical reason for this? I couldn't say. Smokes like a dream though, right out of the box. Love it!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find the stem being snapped off for sanitation suspect considering all the very super unsanitary things people did at the same time. Things like selling ice cream in a small glass container that was reused and not cleaned a tiny glass (like drinking glass but small) that people licked clean and gave back to the seller who then reused it.
But who knows. Seems like modern sensibilities being applied to the past.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I find the stem being snapped off for sanitation suspect considering all the very super unsanitary things people did at the same time. Things like selling ice cream in a small glass container that was reused and not cleaned a tiny glass (like drinking glass but small) that people licked clean and gave back to the seller who then reused it.
But who knows. Seems like modern sensibilities being applied to the past.
Yeah, who knows. I actually kind of had the same thought when I was posting my earlier reply. A lot of pipe history/lore might be apocryphal. But some people are bigger germaphobes than others. (Even if they didn't know about germs in those days!) There's still the yuck factor. I can imagine if a pipe got cruddy enough, you'd want to snap the end off of it. At least I would.