PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Three. But two are “give me’s”. The guy that collects balls at the golf range crop dusts from his tractor with Captain Black White. An older gentleman walks and smokes. I haven’t seen him in several months. — And I recently saw a guy in his car clenching a pipe on the New Jersey Turnpike.

PSA- Everyone in Jersey knows that, “How You Doin?” is just a greeting. — No one gives a shit —“How You’re Doin.”
I think that's most of America. The How you doin not being a question that is looking for a sincere answer.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I see an Amish fellow every once in a while at a gas station close to me smoking a pipe. Kind of interested to know what kinda of tobacco he's smoking and what kind of pipe he has.
probably something he grew. The local Amish round here smoke tobacco they grow and also make chew out of it and it's pretty good stuff. It's really strong in flavor and nic strength.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Many just want to be left alone when smoking, it's the only me time they get. Five other pipe smokers work where I do but find the idea of talking about it online just doesn't float their boat.
yeah it can certainly get some attention but it's never really pushy mostly just a oh that's cool and stuff like that, then have a nice day. But I think the thing that might stop people is it does draw attention. I've seen people pointing me out to their friends before while riding past me while I am smoking. And that can be more unsettling then a person just talking for a few minutes. Or in other words you are probably on to something. It's kind of like wearing a loud shirt, you will be paid attention.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
probably something he grew. The local Amish round here smoke tobacco they grow and also make chew out of it and it's pretty good stuff. It's really strong in flavor and nic strength.
That's what I figured. I would be really interested in trying locally grown Amish tobacco. Maybe one of these days I'll work up the courage to talk to him.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
That's what I figured. I would be really interested in trying locally grown Amish tobacco. Maybe one of these days I'll work up the courage to talk to him.
I quite like it. Not a favorite and it's best described as utilitarian. It works it's enjoyable but I don't see it catching on except for chew it's really best for that application and has the most pleasant flavor for that style.

WildTurkeySurprise

Can't Leave
Oct 23, 2020
Mt Juliet, TN
As I understand it, pipe smokers constitute roughly 1% of the tobacco-using population worldwide. After exactly zero sightings of any peers for my humble 3 years of smoking a pipe, I finally spotted one a couple months back, vehicle to vehicle in a grocery store parking lot. He pulled in behind me at the stop sign, I held my pipe out the window and gestured a nod/cheers to him with it through my side mirror. He seemed as pleased as me for us to have discovered one another. The sense of brotherhood was not something to disregard.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Between all the people buying pipe tobacco off the different internet sites, (making all the tobacco listed as "out of stock"), the people posting on a variety of pipe forums, the people posting on Instagram, and/or YouTube, etc.; you'd think there would be more people being spotted. Maybe pipe smoking is a hobby for the recluse. LOL

With my job I do a lot of driving around town, and I see the occasional person smoking a pipe in their vehicle as they drive through town. A few times a year I'll see someone walking about with a pipe. Those are rare moments though.

When working one day I came upon a guy smoking a pipe, so I stopped to talk with him. When I asked him what he was smoking he replied "pipe tobacco," like I assumed he was smoking marijuana. LOL I told him I was a pipe smoker as well, and we have about a 30 minute conversation. I would run into him about once a week for about the next 6 years, and we would visit for a few minutes discussing pipes and tobaccos. Unfortunately, he moved out of state as he is retired now. He was a codger, always smoking Lane 1Q in simple basket pipes. He kept it very simple. I tried to get him to explore some other tobacco's but they weren't for him. He would order 1Q, 2-3 pounds at a time. He loved that blend. LOL

Of course as I type this I'm smoking 1Q. Haha!!!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
As I understand it, pipe smokers constitute roughly 1% of the tobacco-using population worldwide. After exactly zero sightings of any peers for my humble 3 years of smoking a pipe, I finally spotted one a couple months back, vehicle to vehicle in a grocery store parking lot. He pulled in behind me at the stop sign, I held my pipe out the window and gestured a nod/cheers to him with it through my side mirror. He seemed as pleased as me for us to have discovered one another. The sense of brotherhood was not something to disregard.
based on sales. So if someone mostly smokes cigars or cigs but has a pipe on the weekend or in other words doesn't really say what percentage sometimes do it.
Between all the people buying pipe tobacco off the different internet sites, (making all the tobacco listed as "out of stock"), the people posting on a variety of pipe forums, the people posting on Instagram, and/or YouTube, etc.; you'd think there would be more people being spotted. Maybe pipe smoking is a hobby for the recluse. LOL

With my job I do a lot of driving around town, and I see the occasional person smoking a pipe in their vehicle as they drive through town. A few times a year I'll see someone walking about with a pipe. Those are rare moments though.

When working one day I came upon a guy smoking a pipe, so I stopped to talk with him. When I asked him what he was smoking he replied "pipe tobacco," like I assumed he was smoking marijuana. LOL I told him I was a pipe smoker as well, and we have about a 30 minute conversation. I would run into him about once a week for about the next 6 years, and we would visit for a few minutes discussing pipes and tobaccos. Unfortunately, he moved out of state as he is retired now. He was a codger, always smoking Lane 1Q in simple basket pipes. He kept it very simple. I tried to get him to explore some other tobacco's but they weren't for him. He would order 1Q, 2-3 pounds at a time. He loved that blend. LOL

When i get asked what I am smoking I do a quick assesment of how much do they know. Should I say five bros it's a straight burly or just some cheap stuff that's amazing.

Reactions: metalheadycigarguy

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.

Lane's 1Q, or as they named it in a pipe shop I once visited, "Ladies Love It". puffy