PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
I am a big fan of Savinelli.

I like their marketing, and I especially like their pipes for the price that you are paying.

I like their models, and I like how they, like Peterson's, keep a standard model set, and create pipe finishes based on those models.
What I don't like, and I believe is a detriment to the company is this:

901226_688273894530006_260965276_o.jpg

Now, I know that anything 'vape' is not to be talked about in this forum, but I think that Savinelli is making a huge mistake in this move towards their new marketing segment, and considering this is an true Pipe Company, I think there should be discussion on this subject.

Ready?

Discuss...
Shutterbug

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
The sad part is they will probably make more money from these E-Cigs than they do from pipe sales. There are more E-Cig smokers in the world than there are pipe smokers unfortunately. Just my opinion of course

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
With the crackdown on 'Vape Mixtures' being classified as Tobacco in many states, I don't know how well they will do in North America. In Europe, I can't imagine that there are that many e-cig smokers, considering the smoking by-laws are much more lax. In Asia, I don't think this will do well, as tobacco is cheap, and there are relatively no laws restricting smoking.
Shutterbug

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Personally, I do not see how this would alter pipe collector's thoughts on the Savinelli pipe brand. Dunhill has been putting their name on cigarettes and cigars for decades and they've not been hammered for expanding their tobacciana products.
Again, not sure what the problem is with Savinelli's e-cigarette product or its marketing.
Best,
Pipestud

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
as I sit and look out the window of a well known shop in Columbus, OH. across the street is an e-cig shop that has a constant stream of folks going in. In an hour I might be the only customer in the shop and watching across the street at least 50 people have come and gone.

Here, there are no restrictions on vapes, so I see people all day in restaurants, in stores, everywhere, smoking these steam sticks. I am more jealous than repulsed. I tried one once, but I just couldn't get into a puff of steam.

I don't see it as harming their pipe sales, as long as they keep quality, price, and the diverse selection strong.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I could care less. If it will help them be more profitable then I'm all for it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Personally, I do not see how this would alter pipe collector's thoughts on the Savinelli pipe brand. Dunhill has been putting their name on cigarettes and cigars for decades and they've not been hammered for expanding their tobacciana products.
Again, not sure what the problem is with Savinelli's e-cigarette product or its marketing.
+1
Not an issue that bothers me to be honest. All companies have to evolve to survive. And like pipestud mentioned, Dunhill has been selling cigarettes for a long time.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Actually, I'd see it as a chance for crossover customers - we've got a new guy in here who got curious about "real pipes" after vaping for a while... :D

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
They are also a respected cigar company.
These products, electronic cigarettes, are simply a safer method of delivering nicotine. They will, of course, irritate those people, the pleasure police, who decry anyone getting enjoyment in life in any manner not prescribed by those who know what and what is not acceptable in the realm of enjoyment.
I certainly see no reason to begrudge Savinelli doing what it deems necessary to make a profit. E-cigarettes deliver nicotine, satisfy the oral fixations and, according to TV ads I've seen, will make you feel like a "B" list actor without the poisons generated in combustion.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
After seeing my mother and father's health deteriorate due to cigarettes, I welcome ANY alternative to them. I understand that there are many choices out there for the electronic cigarette and this just gives smokers who want to quit another choice. Thank God I was able to put cigs down in '08 and never look back.
I have seen my wife's cousin quit cigarettes and go to an e-cig and he says he felt better after one month. I suppose it is possible that they have some harmful effects but they can't be worse than cigarettes.
As for them being a bad choice for Savinelli? Meh, time will tell I guess. It is a crowded market.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Of course, if they determine there is a market for such an item. Imagine being able to enjoy the essence of your favorite blend after a fine repast at your favorite restaurant. Pipe, friends, good conversation and a fine cognac all gathered together just like the good old days of . . . what? Five, ten years ago? I'd give an E-pipe a try if the manufacturers can get close to capturing the essence of "3 Star Blue," "Esoterica," etc. just to try and recapture a bit of the good old days.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
@fitzy "I could care less. If it will help them be more profitable then I'm all for it."
+1
I don't see the big deal. They could make toasters for all I care :)
In fact, I wish someone would make a really good e-pipe. Maybe they'll be the ones who finally do it.

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
It's interesting to see the results so far. For me, I have only seen E-cigs in Head Shops and mall side kiosks. To me this represents a cheapening of the brand, and although it won't prevent me from buying another Savinelli, in my books they have lowered my respect for what the brand represents. Would we have the same results if Dunhill tried to sell a 99 Euro e-cig vaporizer?
Shutterbug

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
It's interesting to see the results so far. For me, I have only seen E-cigs in Head Shops and mall side kiosks. To me this represents a cheapening of the brand, and although it won't prevent me from buying another Savinelli, in my books they have lowered my respect for what the brand represents. Would we have the same results if Dunhill tried to sell a 99 Euro e-cig vaporizer?
Shutterbug

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Making the E-Pipe would be the easy part I think. Creating the nicotine unit which can deliver the essence of a tobacco specific blend will be the hard part. But, that said, I'd certainly try one. Imagine to again be able to kick back with friends at a fine restaurant, after good meal and enjoy a pipe, cognac and grand conversation! Almost like the good old days of . . . what, five or ten years ago. Much longer for you poor folks residing in California I suppose.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Bug: Here's a thought, since you seem to be taking Savinelli's actions so personally. Write or call the company and see how many thousands of pipes you would need to buy each year to get them to call off the e-cigarette. I suspect you'll to to take a 2d on the house. I wish you luck!

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
From a business perspective it makes sense. E cigs are a bit ticket item right now. We have a shop in Austin that has explanded to multiple locations. I don't use them but a friend said last time he went to make a purchase they actually had such a line that people had to take a number and wait for service.
As much as I have no desire for a product like this, I don't disrespect Savinelli for going in to that market. If anything it helps the brand alive and profitable. Just hope they don't find e cigs better business and start moving away from their traditional products.

Status
Not open for further replies.