PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I just got a sample to try of Lanes TK6, and it is suspiciously similar in cut, colour, taste etc to Cult BRM. I just finished a tin of BRM a few weeks ago so my memory is fresh.

Not that I'm complaining, I liked BRM so TK6 as a bulk alternative is great even if it turns out they aren't 'exactly' the same.

Reactions: kanaia

lupy1234

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2023
I swear John Cotton Smyrna (current incarnation) is the same as Soilent Mixture

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I swear John Cotton Smyrna (current incarnation) is the same as Soilent Mixture
Considering there's not supposed to be a topping on JCS, that's very interesting. The Solent Mixture has chocolate, vanilla, and rum.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Ban
All things considered, as a result of this confusion from "same blend , different name", trying to choose from reviewers, who have different descriptors for similar tastes, etc. I have come to appreciate and really like to support Ernie at Watch City, or talk to Rachel at Boswells, or Uhle's ...these types of smaller shops that blend their own with quality, know their stuff and are eager to help share info and their expertise. If a new smoker or a veteran wants to learn about a different genre, these shops are GREAT. What other smaller "in house " blenders exist that you like to support?

B and B tobacconist in Asheville NC make 2 blends that I absolutely adore and they actually go in the back and make it fresh Scott's Companion a VaPerOr and Ol Limey Bastard , a Murray's era mm965 clone.

Reactions: trudger

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Just tried the Crème Brule. Got some last Christmas in bulk and jarred it. Forgot about it until I read these posts. Not bad at all!

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
The reason B&M's call bulk tobacco different names goes back over a 100 years. Back in the day when they're tobacco stores everywhere. The reason is that they wanted to make it seem to the customer that they were the only store that carried said tobacco, even though Joe's down the street had the same thing but he called something else also. I've seen 1Q called Jubilee, Kings Smoke or Wilshire.

Reactions: AroEnglish