PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2014
I've been off the forum for 3 months now, as simnettpratt reminds me. But, I've returned to find the place a little empty. Rsun and phonomet are especially missed. Cajun's gone, too? Jeeze. I don't know exactly what happened here, but these were some very generous and caring people.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't know exactly what happened here,
Kevin laid down the rules, it's a pipe smoking forum, you missed some great political stump style passionate speeches, then in protest some members left to go and start a pipe forum.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Kevin was well within his bounds and I appreciate his efforts. This site is better for it.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Seems to be a pattern with these forum (well, active forums in general)...
Great group of folks gather -> posts abound, Crap-posts low -> mods relax, enjoy buoyant sense of community -> posts begin to digress, tangents are made -> Lack of corrective action sees crap-posts on rise -> "The Troubles" ANARchY ENSueS! -> Armed gangs roam the threads crushing all those who stand against them -> The people cry out for salvation -> The Kevin ReturnS -> Standards reimposed... -> those who lusted, ruled, and gloried in the time of the troubles throw up their hands in disgust and set out on their own -> the community sorrows for those voices that are lost, but those who remain thump their chests - talking either of the glory of renewed standards or the loss of the good ol' days -> The community heals, new members join -> and... a Great group of folks gather.
Wow...that kinda sounds like a summary of Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire... When do the barbarian hordes of vapers invade?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People get dissatisfied and go elsewhere sometimes. Just like locales. Or they get a better offer. Or they get busy in

some other area of their life. Sometimes when people are retiring from a career, they go into a six month or one year

interlude where they continually fret about how the organization has gone down the tube, although sometimes it hasn't,

any more than usual. This isn't Valhalla, it's pipesmagazine Forums. Some good people here, and some good info. That

doesn't mean everyone wants to stay around forever. Change is the stasis of life.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I was advised of a couple of a couple of different places where those with less constraint could go to hangs out. None of them offered themselves as an alternative to this forum.
That the site has assumed a much different personality is obvious. It's much more focused and less broadly entertaining. There is a constant ebb and flow on every forum as the membership goes in one direction or another.
Just remember: Life's a bitch and then you die.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"Life's a bitch and then you die"
Life's a bitch and then you die

Nothing you can do about it

Anything you steal or buy

You're gonna be leaving here without it
So take what you want

But just what you need

For survival, survival

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Don't worry, I am still here as well. Lurk more than post now however. :rofl:
But seriously, life happens and people just have the time to post all the time. They will be back.

Mar 1, 2014
Kevin laid down the rules, it's a pipe smoking forum, you missed some great political stump style passionate

speeches, then in protest some members left to go and start a pipe forum section on http://www.4chan.org

2/16/15 Never forget
Andy, there's no way I'm clicking on that link so you'll have to tell if that's a joke or not.

It would be hilarious if people actually went to 4chan over the best pipe forum on the 'net.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've always viewed this as a pipe forum. I have fake facebook accounts I use to be a total wise ass as well as other forums where there's absolutely no limit on what you can post. When I started here it was just about pipes and not a comedy forum. There's alot of places you can go to blow off steam or engage in non-pipe talk. I think there was a lot of overreaction and still is to Kevin bringing the place back to how it was around 2 years ago, there was still pipe related funny stuff and general shenanigans, but it was related to pipes. New members coming in and constantly comparing how they moderated huge forums and trying to state how this forum should be run was a bit overboard. There's nothing stopping anyone from starting their own forum and running it how they see fit.
http://pipesmoke.omgforum.net/ I just created a forum in 5 minutes, that's how easy it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.