Rules for a PB&J...What Rules?...No Rules!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I eat a few every week for lunch. What's really made it has been the abandonment of any mass store bought ingredients.

My wife makes our sandwich bread these days and it's a bit heftier then that flimsy stuff you buy at the super market. This makes a great base.

Jams and Jellies all come from a few different local farm stores. A couple of them make it themselves, a few have their brand made for them. Stay away from your cheap store jelly.

Like the jelly, we get a variety of different nut butters locally. I think all of these are made for the stores, but there's a wide variety of natural nut butters out there to play with. I usually prefer some form of chunky to add substance but anything from peanut, almond, pecan, and walnut could be in the mix along with things like dried cranberry and dried cherries. Stay away from your cheap store stuff.

I layer it on thick to ensure a sandwich of substance. It is delicious.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I eat pb&j every day for an early lunch. Lately I’ve been using Nature’s Own butter bread and smooth peanut butter with reduced sugar welches grape jelly in a squeeze bottle. The bread is toasted medium and I use a butter knife to spread the peanut butter on one slice while the toast is hot. I clean the knife with a napkin and squeeze the jelly on top of the peanut butter and spread with the clean knife, light peanut butter, heavy jelly, I don’t smear but evenly distribute without mixing too much… think warm peanut butter layer meets cool jelly layer. I place the other toast slice on top and flip. Flipping is important. Then I cut in half, not diagonally, unless there is an air pocket/hole in the bread slice. My sides are Parmesan Cheese Gold Fish crackers and Chicken Biscuits crackers. I’ve got a screwed up stomach so simple repetitive meals work well. I’m extremely particular and apparently haven’t grown up yet! 😂

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
So every now and then I'll eat the basic PB&J and thoroughly enjoy. I like it on rye. In preparation I get out all the fixings along with a knife and spoon. I use the knife for the PB and the spoon for the J. The recent sandwich making was witnessed by one of the youngers that was home for a visit. So then the questioning and criticizing began.
Why don't you use white bread?
You're not going to toast the bread?
A knife and a spoon?
I told the youngling that sometimes I even put potato chips on the sandwich and have it with a pickle or a bit of sharp cheese on the side. The look of disgust on her face was hilarious! Then I filled a glass with water.
NOT MILK??!! She squawked. LOL
I explained that there aren't any "rules" to making and serving a PB&J. The 20 something whole heartedly disagreed and now I'm the monster in the kitchen. She eats a very plain diet and flavor isn't on the menu.

I can't wait for Grandkids. LOL
No judgment here. I put fries in my burger and potatoe chips in my sandwiches.

Reactions: yanoJL

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It amazes me that people think of PB&Js as food. I mean sure, if someone is going to call a Pop Tart a breakfast, why not just smother some bread in sugary goop, and call it a proper meal. See, I would be standing in the fridge doorway looking for something to eat, and see jelly, and think 'Hmm, a PB&J?' Then I would calculate calories, and just put that idea in line with a slice of pie, or some cookies. And, I'd probably chose the pie, if it was pecan pie. Or, I would just cook some eggs.

I may be amazed... but you younger bucks can drop weight off fast. Just jog a few laps around the block. But, when you hit your mid 30's the amount of times you have to jog around the block starts rising exponentially. What weight or sugars you'd burn doing some simple exercises becomes drastically more. Then you hit your 50's, and the doc just laughs when you say you'll just burn some pounds off. By 55, to lose what you could lose at 25, you'd have to live like a concentration camp victim, starving for months and exercising from sun up to down. By 60, if you are still heavy, it's easier to just say "fuck it all," ha ha.

So, I just avoid the PB&Js, and the Doritos, and McDonalds.... :::sigh::: I miss McDonald's cheeseburgers.
Have you tried all natural peanut butter? Kraft even makes it now. It's literally peanuts ground into peanut butter and that's it. Regular peanut butter is icing sugar and fat

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
The salted cured meats are the most sensual.

A PB&J on home made bread with home made jam is a thing of beauty. Use cashew butter for extra decadence.

Reactions: Buckeyestime

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
-soft white overprocessed bread
-creamy Jif or Skippy
-Welch’s grape jelly
-peanut butter applied on both slices with carefully troweled lip around exterior edges
-jelly properly stirred to almost pourable consistency (of course with same knife, so as to dirty remaining jelly in jar just enough to piss wife off.
-glass of cold milk

^^^the only way to make a proper pbj in my book. Any other way would be like eating small styrofoam packed ice cream cups with anything other than a flat wooden “spoon” with extra wood flavoring.

Of course, YMMV

Reactions: Buckeyestime