Rules for a PB&J...What Rules?...No Rules!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Silverback

Might Stick Around
Feb 26, 2019
Bucks County, Pennsylvania
So every now and then I'll eat the basic PB&J and thoroughly enjoy. I like it on rye. In preparation I get out all the fixings along with a knife and spoon. I use the knife for the PB and the spoon for the J. The recent sandwich making was witnessed by one of the youngers that was home for a visit. So then the questioning and criticizing began.
Why don't you use white bread?
You're not going to toast the bread?
A knife and a spoon?
I told the youngling that sometimes I even put potato chips on the sandwich and have it with a pickle or a bit of sharp cheese on the side. The look of disgust on her face was hilarious! Then I filled a glass with water.
NOT MILK??!! She squawked. LOL
I explained that there aren't any "rules" to making and serving a PB&J. The 20 something whole heartedly disagreed and now I'm the monster in the kitchen. She eats a very plain diet and flavor isn't on the menu.

I can't wait for Grandkids. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
I would squawk too, are you sure you're not preggers. I don't eat them nearly as much as I use to as a kid. I do love a peanut butter and jelly sandwich 🥪 I make mine with lots of peanut butter and lots of grape jam, any bread will do. I'll use a butter knife to spread the peanut butter first and then cross-contaminate the jam, never the other way around. I have to have milk, whole or almond, to wash it down.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
On rye? Gross. I make mine on white bread and put the peanut butter on both slices of bread and then I put the jelly on so the jelly doesn’t leak through the bread.
Every so often I substitute marshmallows fluff for the jelly.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So every now and then I'll eat the basic PB&J and thoroughly enjoy. I like it on rye. In preparation I get out all the fixings along with a knife and spoon. I use the knife for the PB and the spoon for the J. The recent sandwich making was witnessed by one of the youngers that was home for a visit. So then the questioning and criticizing began.
Why don't you use white bread?
You're not going to toast the bread?
A knife and a spoon?
I told the youngling that sometimes I even put potato chips on the sandwich and have it with a pickle or a bit of sharp cheese on the side. The look of disgust on her face was hilarious! Then I filled a glass with water.
NOT MILK??!! She squawked. LOL
I explained that there aren't any "rules" to making and serving a PB&J. The 20 something whole heartedly disagreed and now I'm the monster in the kitchen. She eats a very plain diet and flavor isn't on the menu.

I can't wait for Grandkids. LOL
.....I feel like I should ban you....

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I would squawk too, are you sure you're not preggers. I don't eat them nearly as much as I use to as a kid. I do love a peanut butter and jelly sandwich 🥪 I make mine with lots of peanut butter and lots of grape jam, any bread will do. I'll use a butter knife to spread the peanut butter first and then cross-contaminate the jam, never the other way around. I have to have milk, whole or almond, to wash it down.
Yep, when I saw rye I figured a large deli dill pickle would be showing up as well!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I’ve cut way down on bread in general so these days it’s chunky peanut butter 🧈 n a piece of white toast and strawberry preserves in the basin I create in the peanut butter. Sure, knife for peanut butter (unless I’m eating it out of the jar) and spoon for the preserves. I’m not a savage.

But …… my taste buds work, lol!

No rules, just shaming!

• Haha
Reactions: Zero
It amazes me that people think of PB&Js as food. I mean sure, if someone is going to call a Pop Tart a breakfast, why not just smother some bread in sugary goop, and call it a proper meal. See, I would be standing in the fridge doorway looking for something to eat, and see jelly, and think 'Hmm, a PB&J?' Then I would calculate calories, and just put that idea in line with a slice of pie, or some cookies. And, I'd probably chose the pie, if it was pecan pie. Or, I would just cook some eggs.

I may be amazed... but you younger bucks can drop weight off fast. Just jog a few laps around the block. But, when you hit your mid 30's the amount of times you have to jog around the block starts rising exponentially. What weight or sugars you'd burn doing some simple exercises becomes drastically more. Then you hit your 50's, and the doc just laughs when you say you'll just burn some pounds off. By 55, to lose what you could lose at 25, you'd have to live like a concentration camp victim, starving for months and exercising from sun up to down. By 60, if you are still heavy, it's easier to just say "fuck it all," ha ha.

So, I just avoid the PB&Js, and the Doritos, and McDonalds.... :::sigh::: I miss McDonald's cheeseburgers.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
with all the grapes and all the wineries in france there is no grape jam or jelly. Pbj is not a thing here. I have to special order it if I want one…kinda weird

• Wow
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
with all the grapes and all the wineries in france there is no grape jam or jelly. Pbj is not a thing here. I have to special order it if I want one…kinda weird
You could make it, but wine grapes makes lousy jelly. If you can get some concord grapes, just take a handful of grapes and add it to a few pounds of sugar. puffy

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I probably will make it next time. There is an American market online I bought from. But I think its discontinued. Ive made my own blueberry jam when I got a big traybof them for a buck. Its easy. We have lots of different grapes but here fruit is very seasonal. There are great jams here…actually amazing but oddly grape is not among them. I guess its an American thing.

Pbj is not a thing here. Typically peanut butter is stocked for cooking and baking not so much for sandwiches.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I'll go through phases sometimes where I'll eat a PBJ a few times a week. Happens maybe twice a year..

I consider them more of a snack than part of a meal.

A toasted PBJ is kind of a "level-up" I think. Really adds an increased layer of texture and flavor.