PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

atwaterville

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 15, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
If the flake is cut in the appropriate size to easily fold and fit into my pipe, think PS Luxury Navy Flake, then I'll fold it. Otherwise it's easier for me to rub it out and pack the pipe.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
I used to always rub my flakes out fully but once I 'got' the folding method I have never gone back to rubbing them out. The secret to the fold and stuff is to not take the 'stuff' part literally.

What I do is I take 1, 1 1/2, or 2 flakes depending on their size and the size of my pipes chamber and simply fold them in half. Then I use my thumb and first two fingers to gently roll the flakes to encourage them to break up a little into what looks like a little bundle of firewood sticks I'm going insert into the stove (my pipe).

The key is to size your little bundle of firewood, with the 'sticks' all roughly oriented parallel, so it just fits perfectly into your stove without having to compress it, or with very, very gentle compression. You want the pipe to be full, but with basically zero resistance on the draw.

If you've ever made a campfire, or used a woodstove then it's actually incredibly intuitive what your doing.

If the flake stick bundle is too long and sticking out of the top of the pipe, just pinch the excess and tear it off, if the bundle ended up a little short I just grab a little pinch of the bits and top it off til I'm happy.

Like I said the pipe should be full but with no resistance to the draw. Because flake tobacco is compressed and is denser than ribbon you must give it a bit of room to expand or about halfway to bottom the bowl it will be too tight and you won't get a good burn.

If you load your bowl right and tamp gently the bowl will usually burn right to the end with almost no relights.

Since switching to this method I don't even have to worry about moisture levels and drying anymore, even the wettest gawith flake straight from the tin will burn just fine (once you get it going).

Mac Baren flakes are probably the easiest to learn on since they are so consistent in size, but once you get the hang of it, it's easy with any flakes no matter how rough they are.

It's way harder to type this out than to load a bowl l. it's really a super easy way to load a pipe, I think by far the easiest and quickest, even easier than loading ribbon.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
They made Flake for many years, over 60 years that I know and most likely many more years.

I know they have been made, probably for as long as Gawith has been in business.

What I was asking, is why they started to create it back then? I thought the original intentions of Flake was for helping to preserve it longer, which I also thought the term Navy Flake came from, as the choice among sailors, as it was a style that lasted longer.

@peteguy what did I say funny before, I’m confused? LOL 😆

Reactions: yanoJL

Kingsley

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
PA
I don’t really desiccate my flakes too often; I usually find a comfortable, varying mixture closer to masses of oily broken flake with a touch of thinned out leaf to keep the party going.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Grotesque title. Changed. Shame! Do you claim innocence due to living in Scandinavia??

In my deep reflections about Lee's and Marxmen, I came across a very interesting question. Do the members of this forum usually rub out their flakes or fold them?

PS Luxury Navy Flake, four flakes, about a third of an ounce.

Fill Big Boy Marxman.

IMG_6215.jpeg

Slowly twist down the flakes

IMG_6216.jpeg

Use the long pick on a pipe tool to maintain draw.

What you have is a two inch Va Per cigar inside three quarters of a century old Algerian briar.

It will not get hot, it won’t bite, it tastes delicious, and is good for two hours of ruminations.

The charge expands as it burns.

Keep your pipe tool handy.