PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Many blends start as plugs that flakes are cut from. Leaving them as flakes cuts the cost of tumbling them into ribbons.
Never mind that blenders probably take into account that flakes are often rubbed out, and I seriously doubt any blender necessarily intends for flakes to be folded and stuffed... that's not why they make flake cuts at all, nor is that ever touted as one of the benefits of flake over ribbon.

Or if we apply this reasoning, probably need to get this for smoking plugs, you know, since the blender intended it to be a plug.

That said, I always rub out my flakes.

LEP7cv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2020
Portugal
With all this rumination, I'm starting to think we're all sheep.
excuse me!!!?
il_fullxfull.1158956498_7wzs.jpg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Fold. It's a flake for a reason. As the blender intended.

Oooh @gawithhoggarth in all seriousness, when Gawith started out making flakes what was the intentions here? 🤔

I thought I hear, or read somewhere, that flakes were also created, as a way of keeping the tobacco preserved longer? hmm 🤔

I hope you’ll reply, I’d really love to know this history from Gawith. :)

Thanks 🙏

P.S. I’ve only tried folding once, I now always rub out.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Oooh @gawithhoggarth in all seriousness, when Gawith started out making flakes what was the intentions here? 🤔

I thought I hear, or read somewhere, that flakes were also created, as a way of keeping the tobacco preserved longer? hmm 🤔

I hope you’ll reply, I’d really love to know this history from Gawith. :)

Thanks 🙏

P.S. I’ve only tried folding once, I now always rub out.
They made Flake for many years, over 60 years that I know and most likely many more years.