PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My complaint with mainstream Hollywood movies, is the constant regurgitation of the same ideas and premises. Nowadays Hollywood movies are the equivalent of fast-food, valuing profit over creativity. Not to mention the misinterpretations of "shocking and edgy" into being "vulgar and crass." Needless to say, 90% of the movies I watch and enjoy are 10 to 60 years older than I am.
I tend to agree with you, though there is some terrific content being made today. Caution and timidity is a huge problem in the Entertainment business. With so many millions of dollars riding on each decision, it's difficult to convince execs to take any real risks.
These studios are components of large corporations whose mandate is to maximize profits. If something works, everyone makes versions of the same formula in the hope of repeating performance. And if the audience shows up there's no reason to take any more risk than is necessary.
The StarWars reboot is a perfect example. It's basically a remake of the first StarWars picture. I both enjoyed it because it felt like a StarWars picture and was irritated by it because it was so extremely derivative. But, I'll reserve any further judgement until the next episode of the saga hits the theaters.
We also tend to forget that Hollywood always turned out crap, loads of it. The crap just rarely gets screened.
A couple of weeks ago I attended the San Francisco Silent Film Festival. All of the films had live musical accompaniment and were screened in a Spanish Colonial Revival movie palace that was built in 1922. It was a wonderful 4 days of varied content. If you haven't experienced films shown like this, you've missed something extraordinary. I urge anyone who can, to experience this. Besides, everyone knows that sound is a passing fad.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I read the topic and was fuming. Came in here to retort and I realised that most of you guys already did it.
And to continue the topic, the branch of feminism (yes, there are many) I subscribe to seeks to equalise the status between all genders. The amount of media with females in leading roles is still in the minority, and although I would still watch a good film with a male lead, all things being equal, I would be more drawn to the one with the female lead. To avoid a film on the basis of gender is a little immature.
Ultimately, its all about options. If you chose to avoid a film on account of a female lead, there's a lot of alternatives for you.
As for Star Wars, Rey has become my favourite character in the SW universe. :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hope you are no longer fuming!
I've paid scant attention to the gender of a film's leads, though there are a couple of actors (some male some female) whose pictures I'll avoid unless I hear they are very good flicks.
One of my current favs. Is "Tunnel", derived from the Swedish film "The Bridge" (also done as a TV mini series in Mexico/El Paso). From the first episode (only so far) it appears to have co-equal leads. This is a TV series, not a B+M film.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Step 1: Someone posts sexist rant.

Step 2: Other posters disagree with sexist rant.

Step 3: Other posters are called "Herd-minded, PC weasel, FDA-supporting losers." (A paraphrase)

Step 4: This is justified as NOT trolling, just reasonable discourse.
Wow. Just wow.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I think it's just boredom, too much time on his hands. His posts are simply self-serving drivel, by and large, intended to to elicit responses so he has something to do with the remainder of his day. At least that's the gist of his last post on this thread.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I'm surprised he was too afraid to say something about the black guy.
Oh, yes! Remember, every time Hollywood hires a black actor, that takes food right out of the mouth of an honest, hard-working white guy! LOL
Don't forget "bitches".
Yeah, using "bitches" was a particularly well-thought-out insult in a sexist rant. Almost guaranteed to help get your target audience on your side.
self-serving drivel
True, true. I've got to learn to not feed the trolls.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I have not yet seen the latest Star Wars, and I see so few recent movies, but one article does not make "the facts" and undoubtedly, as women move more and more into higher positions, there has been an activist movement to change how women, and men, are portrayed both in TV and advertising. Women are more independent and not in need of men, men are increasingly more recessive, dependent and even sometimes idiots. Women are portrayed as smart, strong, autonomous. Meantime, men are increasingly feminized and this manifests itself in many ways, from wearing soft pastel ties, to NFL players running around with pink on for breast cancer awareness month.
Nothing wrong with most of this, mind you, women getting ahead in the world, etc., but if you cannot see the slow feminization of men in how they dress and act, how women have shot to the forefront of things like news panels, where both the host and all the guests are mostly or all women, then you are not looking very hard. Almost every thing quintessentially "masculine" (including smoking pipes) is now under attack.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Almost every thing quintessentially "masculine" (including smoking pipes) is now under attack.
I can't quite view women smoking pipes as me (or we) being "under attack"! And I don't get out as much but I haven't noticed a change in how men dress. Is that really a thing??
But isn't it interesting how every pro sport now has a woman to do the sideline color and interviews? Talk about groupthink! Some are good, some are terrible, just as there are good male sportscasters, and not so good.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd expand my statement to agree with jefff. Sure there are some feminists who attack men in general, but I just change the channel... :)
I have only once in my seven decades experience direct put down by another due to my being an old white guy, and that was a year ago in a small ag town in N. CA. It was a Hispanic man, but douchebags come in all colors, sizes and languages. Oh, and once a woman cried out, "Are you hitting on me?!!?' And done in a tone and manner that made me feel maybe I should have been jailed. Life is amusing.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Just thought this thread could use a little comic relief.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7_YNTQmtGg

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
@Sable, I saw Battleship Potemkin and The Bicycle Thief in a double feature at the Castro when I still lived there. Love the theater and the films. So glad it's well supported, still. Hope you enjoyed the city.
@this thread: here are a few examples of interesting things pipesmokers have said over the years:
“The fact is, Squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth.”

-”Sam Slick, The Clockmaker”
“Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”

– The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”

-Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton
“The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected.”

-William Makepeace Thackeray, from The Social Pipe

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The Castro Theater is a gem, and the SFSFF is a total delight. There will be a one day mini festival at the Castro on December 3rd. The program has yet to be announced and probably won't be for a few months while they nail it down.
My GF lives in the Oakland Hills and my brother lives in the City. This year he joined us for a day and was astounded by the programs. He had no idea. Most people hear the term "silent picture" and all they can think of is the Keystone Cops. Mind you, I like the Keystone Cops, but there's much much more.
The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish;
Oh if that were only true. Bigpond, I think you summed up the situation very concisely in your first response.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
One should always keep in mind that most of the quotes extolling the virtues of pipe smoking are written by pipe smokers. I suspect that they are trying to ease the guilt in their minds. Everyone knows the pipe does not make one smarter, dumber, more or less debonair or sophisticated, taller, shorter, leaner, better looking, more virile, etc. The pipe does not make the man, the man makes the pipe!

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Could be women..."
For sure there are. From what I have seen, a great crew there in Washington, Missouri.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A buddy of mine who works in compsec has a saying, "Security is an emotional state."
The thing about history is that it often takes centuries to see the results of things done today.
Still, we live in interesting times...

Status
Not open for further replies.