PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Stupid question (don't say it; remember, you haven't heard it yet!), from someone who doesn't jar/cellar -- Plastic bags being at least somewhat porous, is "stretch & seal" just as bad? Seems like it would be.
Bill

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[Plastic bags being at least somewhat porous, is "stretch & seal" just as bad? Seems like it would be.]
Yes, plastic stretch and seal is bad, I tried with it before going with aluminum foil and it did not work.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I normally have around 20 tins that are open at any given time. I store my open tins in the plastic tubs that I bought at walmart. The plastic tubs come in a pack of 4 for 4 different sizes. These tubs keep my open tins fresh for at least 1.5 years. In the pic below, the tubs I am talking about are the opaque ones with the white lids. I have been using these for over 6 years. For me it is the easiest way to keep a nice variety of tins open.
jars-401x600.jpg

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
Sometimes when I'm too full up on bulk virginias, I'll keep them all in the ziplocs they came in and then put the ziplocs all in one big jar.
But otherwise, don't be hard headed, just buy the damn jars.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Those small flat mason jars are really nice, I just got a 4 pack at mal wart last week. They stack the best.

Also, now that I have about 30 mason jars I'm not trying to get more (and yes I know people have many more but 30 is in can justify personally). So I've been considering alternate storage myself. If doing the foil/ electric tape method outlined here I may just add a layer of waxed paper between the foil and Tobacco. Other than that I think if the plastic is thick enough and has a gasket couldn't I just out all my open tins in a big Rubbermaid or Tupperware, bear proof cooler, etc.?

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I normally have around 20 tins that are open at any given time. I store my open tins in the plastic tubs that I bought at walmart.]
The reason I use the aluminum foil/tape method is for space saving, as I need to maximize the little space available, as well as weight saving and being able to recognize easily the tins. If the plastic tubs works for you fine but does not solve these 3 issues which are solved by this method.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[If doing the foil/ electric tape method outlined here I may just add a layer of waxed paper between the foil and Tobacco. Other than that I think if the plastic is thick enough and has a gasket couldn't I just out all my open tins in a big Rubbermaid or Tupperware, bear proof cooler, etc.?]
Everything which is plastic is at some degree porous to air and I would not trust for anything longer than few months. Yes, it is better than nothing but for nothing more than few months.
About the waxed paper I am not sure if it helps or not, it might actually not help the seal. The key is getting an air tight seal between the aluminum foil and the electric tape/aluminum tape and I think you could get a better seal between aluminum and tape rather than with waxed paper. Another problem you might encounter adding the waxed paper is that it might become too tight to close the lid on top of the foil which also helps to keep the seal. Never tried though but given it lasted for 2 years now I doubt it can be improved with waxed paper.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
The waxed paper wasn't for The seal, I realize now I could have been more specific. It was as an insert, if in the event the paper/plastic Insert was not pressent. To prevent the tobacco from reacting with the aluminum, even if it's not a known fact they will react just to be safe.

So, I tried the aluminum foil electric tape method and it's seemed to make a a strong seal, so strong that after pushing down the lid I could not screw it down at all. I did the double foil and single layer electric tape. What has been your experience with the actual closure of the tin?

64alex

May 10, 2016
[So, I tried the aluminum foil electric tape method and it's seemed to make a a strong seal, so strong that after pushing down the lid I could not screw it down at all. I did the double foil and single layer electric tape. What has been your experience with the actual closure of the tin?]
You are correct, if you have a screw lid generally you cannot screw but just push back, it's fine and the seal works. Actually I would not try to screw the lid as you take the risk of tearing the foil.

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Ok sounds good, I out half the contents in a mason jar and the other half is in the resealed tin. This way I can do my own experiment. 6 months, 1 year, and two years were the intervals you checked the contents, correct?

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Ok sounds good, I out half the contents in a mason jar and the other half is in the resealed tin. This way I can do my own experiment. 6 months, 1 year, and two years were the intervals you checked the contents, correct?]
This would be great. I open the tins about every 3-6 months to grab the baccy to smoke, the oldest ones are now over two years. Checking every 6 months would be perfect maybe with the aid of an hygrometer for quantification even better.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
jars, jars, always jars
Whatever works for you is the best method. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
But when I got hold of some 125ml mason jars by Bernardin for about 50 cents each, my problems were solved. These jars are the same size as a 50 gram tin. As for labels, you can print out the original tin art for ease of identification. I'm done with messing around with electrical tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.