PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I use several sizes of Mason Jars, but I have only used a few so far. Walmart has them cheaper than Amazon.
Aluminum foil is not a bad way to go for some needs. I buy Aluminum Foil sandwich bags for small amounts, up to about 3 ounces, when I want to use it as a Go To. It is similar to the quality bags Carter Hall uses compared to the cheaper stuff SWRaleigh went to.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I've discovered something kind of interesting, but I'm not sure how much value there is in it. I recently flew to Atlanta on business and brought along some pipes and a couple tins of tobacco. A couple weeks after returning, I wanted to share some of the 2012 HH Acadian Perique that I'd taken with me, but as I went through my tins, I couldn't find any open ones. Checking my cellar inventory, I determined that I had found all the tins, so one of them was the one I had taken on my trip. Weighing them, one was several grams shy of the others, so clearly that was the tin. Apparently, the cabin pressurization resealed the tin. It gave a healthy Whoosh when I opened it, just like a new tin.
Last night I ran across a large FoodSaver storage container which I saved for some reason, even though I found it utterly useless, since it loses pressure in just a few days. As an experiment, I stuck an open coin style tin inside the container and applied vacuum. Voila! Resealed tin. I then tried the more difficult task of resealing a square tin. Since there are no threads on the square tins, the lid doesn't sit tight enough to be sealed without some mechanical pressure being applied at the same time. I used a removable zip tie around it and applied vacuum. It worked. The jar is big enough to hold four or five coin-style tins, so it goes pretty fast. Now, how long these seals will be good is anybody's guess, particularly for the square tins.
So, is there value in this, beyond providing a mechanism for resale fraud? Practically speaking, probably not. It's hard to imagine bothering with vacuum sealing when there are simpler storage methods that work just fine. I presently use a combination of jars and mylar bags. Maybe the best use I can think of is to occasionally pull some of my square tins from my cellar and apply a bit of vacuum, just to be sure they're well-sealed. I'm not even sure that's a good idea, since pulling air through the seal effectively unseals it for a moment. Yet another opportunity for a long-term test.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is really an interesting thread. Sometimes if I like a blend and see I will keep it going in rotation, I get away with leaving it in the tin, just screwing the lid on. With most blends, for a few months, this works well enough, since many blends require a little drying anyway. I'm in a somewhat humid climate in N.C. Jars are the best answer, but of course even their seals sometimes age out and need replacement. Remember too, you can buy small canning jars that don't take up so much room. I admit I have some jars that have much less than they will hold, taking up space. Every storage method is a work-around. You just have to keep it in mind and do your best. I have opened some old snack baggies with tobacco, or old jelly jars without a great seal on the lid and found the blend within just fine for smoking. But if you really care about a blend and want to keep it for a year or more, jarring is the dependable way to go.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Apparently, the cabin pressurization resealed the tin. It gave a healthy Whoosh when I opened it, just like a new tin.
It's probably normal tobacco fermentation. I will open a tin, smoke a few bowls out if it. Then twist the top on as tight as I can, put it in my humidor for storage, open 2-8 weeks later and it will do the same thing. I've had the best luck with Mac Baren and Dunhill/STG tins doing this. It doesn't always happen, but quite frequently it does.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
It's probably normal tobacco fermentation.
That's certainly a plausible explanation, but I believe it is a case where both are true. While the cabin is pressurized during flight, it is at a pressure somewhat lower than sealevel. As a result air in closed containers wants to expand. That's why partially filled plastic bottles of shampoo and the like tend to leak during flights, unless you evacuate some of the air first. As the air expands inside, some escapes, leaving a vacuum when pressure returns to normal.
I had an idea that putting the tin inside a foodsaver bag, then using the vacuum without the sealing step would work well for square tins. Didn't work at all, probably due to less vacuum.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Last night I ran across a large FoodSaver storage container which I saved for some reason, even though I found it utterly useless, since it loses pressure in just a few days. As an experiment, I stuck an open coin style tin inside the container and applied vacuum. Voila! Resealed tin. I then tried the more difficult task of resealing a square tin. Since there are no threads on the square tins, the lid doesn't sit tight enough to be sealed without some mechanical pressure being applied at the same time. I used a removable zip tie around it and applied vacuum. It worked. The jar is big enough to hold four or five coin-style tins, so it goes pretty fast. Now, how long these seals will be good is anybody's guess, particularly for the square tins.
Craiginthecorn, this is very interesting, and thanks for sharing. I recently had some tims arrive that were open and was thinking about how to seal the, as I bought the, to cellar for many years.
How tightly would you say that you screwed the tin lid on before you applied the vacuum? Super tight? Lightly?

Also, with the square tins, did you put on a few zip ties?
Thanks very much, very interesting and curious to hear your thoughts.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Robcapp, for the coin tins, I just have them a good twist like I would normally. Not Herculean nor extra loose. I would think that if the lot is on too tightly, the air may be unable to escape. I encountered this in my test of vacuum sealing a jar. I had the band screwed on too tightly in my first attempt and it failed. I loosened it a bit and it worked fine.
The square tins needed only one zip tie.
I don't think they still make the particular vacuum canister that I used, but I have seen them at thrift shops and on eBay. I'm unsure of the capacity of mine. I can say that it comfortably accommodates a stack of four 50g coin tins with room around the edges to reach in and lift out the tins.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Thanks very much for the reply, Sir. I've got a canister that Sunbeam made, I'll give it a go and report back! Should be very interesting.

brooklynpiper

May 8, 2018
@craiginthecorn, do you think that vacuumizing the tin over and over will pull the moisture out of the tobacco? Or potentially some of the oils?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
To be clear, my post was to share something that I found fun and interesting, not because I'm advocating resealing as a storage method. Even it's it works brilliantly, it seems like too much bother. I'm a big advocate of mylar bags and Mason jars, depending upon where I'm storing the tobacco and for how long. I might consider resealing a tin where I tried it and didn't really like it, then try it again sometime in the future, or pass it on to a friend.
Do I think it might dehydrate or remove oils from the tobacco? I'm certainly no expert and have next to no experience, but if I were to guess, I'd say yes, but in insignificant and undetectable amounts.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Size of the jar is all up to you, but yes, pappadeaux, I have used some small ones like that. They work perfectly well. I do, however, have a hard time believing that the foil method really worked for a year. Unless it was a goopy aromatic blend which would have maintained moisture sitting out open. But that is just me. I am having a hard time comprehending the idea.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I do, however, have a hard time believing that the foil method really worked for a year. ]
I reached the two year mark with the foil method and YES it is working well up to this point. I am using this mainly for English and Virginia blends. I still have to dry the baccy before loading the bowl (I like it pretty dry) which means it retains its moisture.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I can't imagine that actually working, but your evidence proves me wrong.]
Keep in mind, you need to be careful, you need a double aluminum foil, be careful to model it over the tin and then seal it with electric tape (this is critical as otherwise foil alone won't be enough). For extra safety you can run an additional layer with aluminum tape but it is not strictly necessary. Once mastered it is easy but you need to do these few steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.