PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JR McDuff

Lurker
Feb 2, 2021
Hi all,
Any recommendations for online estate pipe sales? Reliable, pipes that have been cleaned and are ready to smoke. $100 - $200 range Thanks!

JR McDuff

Lurker
Feb 2, 2021
Site sponsors SmokingPipes, Blue Room Briars, The Danish Pipe Shop and PipeStud

Estates from EBay are a crap shoot.
Some will arrive in pristine condition
Others despite being labelled as "cleaned and sanitised" are full of :poop:

I clean ALL estates when I receive them with alcohol irregardless of their stated condition.
Thank you, very helpful info!

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Generally speaking, if you are interested in estate pipes it's best to be able to clean and sanitize pipes yourself. Like others have said even the most reputable sellers may not have cleaned a pipe to your liking. The cleanliness of estate pipes is very subjective. I personally think don't like to have pipes reamed back to briar, others would say a pipe with cake in it is not cleaned. Other estate sellers "clean" without discretion to the point of over reaming, over buffing, destroying the edges on stems, etc. Its basically a crap shoot 100% of the time. I will not buy "cleaned" estates, I will only buy unrestored pipes.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Generally speaking, if you are interested in estate pipes it's best to be able to clean and sanitize pipes yourself. Like others have said even the most reputable sellers may not have cleaned a pipe to your liking. The cleanliness of estate pipes is very subjective. I personally think don't like to have pipes reamed back to briar, others would say a pipe with cake in it is not cleaned. Other estate sellers "clean" without discretion to the point of over reaming, over buffing, destroying the edges on stems, etc. Its basically a crap shoot 100% of the time. I will not buy "cleaned" estates, I will only buy unrestored pipes.

Unrestored pipes from private sellers are a often a great deal and cheaper than those of the pro sellers.

I decide to buy on how sellers communicate when asked and on the shown photos. Then the whole process of cleaning/ reaming/ buffing is in your hands to your liking and it’s fun too, because you get close to your new pipe as well.

Reactions: paulfg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Hi all,
Any recommendations for online estate pipe sales? Reliable, pipes that have been cleaned and are ready to smoke. $100 - $200 range Thanks!
Given your generous price range, I think you’ll be well served by the site sponsors. (I’ve personally bought a number of pipes from SmokingPipes.com and have been 100% satisfied.)

Reactions: keith929

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Thanks to those that mentioned us, but we are almost completely removed from estate pipes, due to health issues with my hands that does not allow me the ability to use buffing wheels for any length of time. There are only about a dozen pre smoked pipes on the site.

However in the price range sought, there are more than a few new pipe options, from various sources. Kaywoodie, Radice, Rossi and countless more.

As far as buying pre smoked pipes, smokingpipes is IMHO at the top level, as far as quantity and quality. I have never had a pre smoked pipes, from smokingpipes, come in a condition that required me to do anything, other than fill, light, and enjoy.

Pulvers Prior Briar is right up there as well.

Mike

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I would definitely add Mkelaw Pipes (also site sponsor) to the list, I've always had great experiences and his prices are very fair.

Mike G at Blue Room is also one of my trusted vendors. Great people make great vendors!
+1 for Mkelaw Pipes. +1 for Blue Room. + 1 for Smokingpipes. I don’t enjoy the EBay thing. There are some reputable sellers there.

Reactions: verporchting

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd suggest smokingpipes.com because they give an accurate description of the pipes including its flaws and do a dependable cleaning and inspection, and have excellent customer service. They also buy estate pipes or give store credit. You might get more for a pipe, but you'd pay with your time doing it, in likelihood.