PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It would not shock me to see all mail-order tobacco shut down within 5 years.
The only way I don't see that happening is if the cigar lobby buys enough support to keep that from happening. Hell maybe it will end up like the Cuban cigar trade where we have to buy from over seas vendors and take our chances with US customs. I did that for a lot of years back when I was heavy into cigars. I had sources in Spain, Gibraltar, Lebanon, Switzerland, Australia and Hong Kong. I had around 4 or 5 seizures over the years but my sources always covered the loss.

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
It's a shame. I used that forum all the time. I've been smoking a pipe for just one year come April, and I've sampled more tobaccos through that sub than I really have a right too. And, not being as loquacious--nor near as humorous--as Sable, I'll never get to 100 posts here before 2021. Quick and easy, and I even got four ounces of Haddo's Delight from 2004. I think its about eight years too old, but still, there's no way I was going to get samples like that retailers or B&Ms. As a result, I've got a cellar full of tobaccos I love.
I will miss it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It would not shock me to see all mail-order tobacco shut down within 5 years.
It wouldn't shock me, but it would surprise me. What would not surprise me is a ban of on line sales. In this day of internet based sales, mail order catalogs are like the horse and buggy, but then again, if the various carrier services refuse to ship tobacco to end users, we'd have to rely on, gasp!, B&M's. Remember them?
At least as of late, it's mostly people trying to offload tins of Frog Morton for $45/bucks each and then everyone else bitching at them for it.
People will be people, even on Facebook. Even these groups will likely be forced to cease their activities due to increased oversight of Facebook being suggested in the wake of their latest scandal.
Support your pipe shows! They will become a more important venue for finding goodies in the years ahead unless they don't get support from the community and are forced to close.

May 4, 2015
What would not surprise me is a ban of on line sales.
Tis what I meant; not mail-order.
if the various carrier services refuse to ship tobacco to end users, we'd have to rely on, gasp!, B&M's. Remember them?
I wouldn't mind relying on B&Ms if the markups and taxes weren't as they are, particularly here in WA. If my ability to order tobacco online went away, I'd probably just not buy any more or at least VERY little comparatively.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jesse,
if the various carrier services refuse to ship tobacco to end users, we'd have to rely on, gasp!, B&M's. Remember them?
When I first moved to Sarasota(2003) I was thrilled to see I had a real b/m to go to. Bennigntons has been around forever and when I first walked in, I was in heaven. I could buy tins of Penzance or any number of other of my favorites and life was good. Then Florida decided to fuck us pipe smokers with an 85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco and a tin of Samuel Gawith Best Brown flake shot up to 22.95 a tin. I could buy the same tin online for 9 and change so I couldn't justify buying locally anymore. The poor guy cut his selection of pipe tobacco by 3/4's and now the only people who buy it are tourists from countries with even higher prices.
I still bought a few lighters, pipe cleaners, P&T magazines but I felt bad going in there and not buying tobacco anymore. I would also give him pipes to refurbish for me from time to time, but eventually I stopped going in at all. I don't need anymore lighters and I send my pipes to Walker for ozone or whatever else I need. He does a great cigar business so he is still very successful, but for us pipe smokers, it just isn't viable.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
...but for us pipe smokers, it just isn't viable.
Viable or not, that may remain the only option. When I quit cancer sticks in the early '80's, a pack of cigs was 75¢. Today, the average cost of a pack is a little over $6, and people are still buying millions of packs. We adjust one way or another.
We've had it pretty good price wise in the US, perhaps too good for the tobacco growing industry to continue to produce the kind of leaf used in making pipe tobacco using traditional labor intensive methods that add to the cost as well as the quality.
We all knew that prices would increase, one way or another. How much, remains to be seen.
Access to buying pipe tobacco will be made less convenient. Count on that. So social media outlets will be under attack. On line sales will probably be banned or at the very least tracked and taxed, which may be the only thing that saves them. At some point pipe smokers who haven't been building up stocks will be faced with deciding what it is worth to them to continue with this wonderful filthy habit.

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
We got crunched on the market sub. Still trying to think of a fix...
That place averaged about 1500 unique visitors with 15k or so page hits/day. It was a really vibrant place. Other "marketplace" type places got shut down as well... i.e. /r/beertrades, /r/gundeals. It's the risk you take when it's someone else's sandbox I reckon.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The full scope of what is going on with control of the web right now goes far beyond tobacco.
As I have commented before, and as have others, we have been living through the wild west days of the internet...soon to pass into myth.
There is no human vice more pernicious and damaging than control, imo.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
There is no human vice more pernicious and damaging than control, imo
That's the truth. I'd bought and traded pipe tobacco and cigars on reddit and am sad to see them shutting that down. The wild west days of the internet can't last forever though. As Mark Twain said, “Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.” It's always the children we must think of when freedoms are being squashed.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
It was a great place to buy, sell, and trade. It's a real shame that it's gone now. I frequent it just as much as I do here. Different communities but great in their own way.

greider

Lurker
Mar 8, 2017
Knoxville
It was a younger scene, if that makes sense. Lots of folks finding their way in the hobby. I gave away a lot of stuff just because I felt I was passing the torch along.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yup this blows. I used the various cigar subreddits as well for trades and box splits.
They setup a cigar market replacement on mewe.com

May 4, 2015
I don't even know what a reddit is, and I downloaded the app a year or so ago, and I still haven't figured out what it is. Bunch of hipsters
Also don't know what it is or how to use it. Sad to see that folks will miss it, though. Sounds like it was pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.