Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'll second Yaz's selection (I also got to sample that Peretti last night) and I'll add H&H "White Knight" and "Black House" to the list. I'd also suggest trying your hand at blending your own. If you can make Chex Mix, you can blend tobacco!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I hear Nightcap is about as potent as English tobacco's come and its definately drawn my interest

It's really not that strong to be honest, I think the nightcap of old was the really strong stuff. I would highly recommend Newminister English Oriental, and Newminister English Luxus, both are bulk only. Also one of my go to smokes is El Ricon de la pipa #1 blended by 4 noggins, it is a must try, a personal blend made for a pipe club in spain. Add to that even though I haven't tried it but just by the reviews I know it's going to be great is seattle pipe club's plum pudding and Mississippi mud. Also EMP by Dunhill. Haven't tried the g.l. pease stuff but it gets great reviews. With the exception of the dunhill and seattle pipe club and G.L. Pease you can get these blends for 35$ a pound which makes them great deals too. If you really love 965 I can't really recommend frog morton as I love 965 as well but find frog Morton to be a disappointing blend for an english, as I find all of McClellend's english blends to be, but their Va's are top notch.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
If you're already into MM965, you may have missed the Frog and all of his iterations as cross overs. MM965, Westminster, Nightcap, Penzance, Margate, Missippi River, Quiet Nights, LaGonda, and Plum Pudding from Seattle Pipe Club are all worth tasting and are all on my regular list. Bald Headed Teacher isn't quite an English, but it is a good crossover worth you time trying as well.

ragnar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2014
I sincerely appreciate the time you have all taken to recommend some of your favorites! I now have quite a list to try and I'll keep you all posted on my thoughts. This community already seems to be a place I look forward to spending many hours conversing and expanding my knowledge. Cheers.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I'd give Drew Estate Meat Pie a try as well. I found it to be a very good smoke. Good amount of latakia but not overpowering.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
What constitutes an "English" is a matter of debate. For a traditional tangy blend, try GL Pease's Westminster.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Yet another recommendation for Dunhill Nightcap, and G.L. Pease Westminster. Actually, anything Pease does that has the word "latakia" in it will probably be more than adequate :)
Now, this is on the much much tamer end of the spectrum, but so many here enjoy or have at least tried McClelland's Frog Morton series, that you almost have to give it a go yourself. I quite enjoy Frog Morton Cellar. But it will be a....simpler and tamer smoke.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
McClelland Samovar and Scottish Woods

Rattray Red Rapparee (ok probably really Oriental, but its awesome)

Lane LEO

Pease Abingdon and Caravan

C&D Black Duck & Rajah's Court

H&H Black House

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Rattrays 3 Noggins,GLP Westminster and wait for it .........GLP Blackpoint cause it has a perfect measure of Louisiana Perique .

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Woodsroad, you sure some of those jars aren't just canning vegetables from your garden? :mrgreen:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
+1 Black House, SG Balkan Flake, Mac B. HH Vintage Syrian, The Frogs, GLP Gaslight! All of those are excellent!

I'm also gonna add another of my favorites to the list, McClelland Blue Mountain. Also C&D Black Duck.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
"And now for something completely different" (with apologies to John Cleese and the whole Monty Python crew), if it's latakia that interests you, consider trying "Shortcut To Mushrooms" from Just For Him. A nice mixture of latakia and Cavendish, producing a nice, kinda sweet smoke for those times when you want something a little less aggressive than a true English, but not wanting to go to Virginias or aromatics.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
All of those aforementioned, plus
SG Commonwealth ( half Va and half Latakia )
Presbyterian Mixture ( a nice treat, fairly unique flavor profile .... how come no one mentioned it ????? )
and of course another vote for
PENZANCE

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Dunhill EMP is a good one albeit on the mild side.
Peterson's Old Dublin is nice as well.
A word about Penzance. Many have recommended it, and you might go try to locate some for you to try as well. While it's still in production, it's pretty much impossible to find retail. It sells out within hours of becoming available in stock. The demand is MUCH greater than supply. Your best bet if you would like to get your hands on a tin, is to go to ebay and buy someone selling from their cellar. However, be prepared to shell out some coin.

lockjaw

Lurker
Apr 8, 2014
+1 H&H Blackhouse. If you're chasing the Latakia dragon give H&H Larrys blend a try. Hard to beat the holy trinity of Dunhill though (EMP, 965, and nightcap).

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Here are my favorites, in descending order:
Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme

Stokkebye English Luxury

H & H Blackhouse

Peretti Royal Blend

Stokkebye Proper English
Best of luck..

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
If you really like Latkia try 3 Oaks Syrian. Nice perfume of Latakia but strong in flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.