PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Perhaps try ordering it next from a different vendor, if still smells bad then you’ll know for sure.
I’m actually having a same experience with a lane product. My last order from p and c, the leaf smelled completely different like it had gone bad. I have a bit coming from SP so I’ll see what happens!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2023
Tobacco juice and crud can get caked in the area inside the shank (the mortise) where the face of the stem/tenon meets the pipe inside. Use a flashlight and see if brown or black gunk is caked up in that area. That build up can get very nasty and sour. With Meerschaum, you'll need to be extra careful scraping it out. With briar pipes, I use a dull, thin blade to gently scrape out as much crud as possible before I swab with an Everclear soaked Q-tip.
Thanks!

Mar 23, 2023
Perhaps try ordering it next from a different vendor, if still smells bad then you’ll know for sure.
I’m actually having a same experience with a lane product. My last order from p and c, the leaf smelled completely different like it had gone bad. I have a bit coming from SP so I’ll see what happens!
Let me know if that helps. Lane 1Q is still decent, but it doesn’t taste or smell quite as good as it used to to me either.

Reactions: jravenwood
If it were a tin of tobacco, I would be more shocked. But, with bulks, especially if you are only buying a small size, under a pound, I'm not surprised. You have no idea how they store the bags, how long they've been serving out of that bag, or whether the bag has been butted up against a latakia bomb or next to their cat box. I mean, we all hope that they bag was in a humidor or somewhere where the humidity is controlled, and preserved as best as possible. But, it's luck of a draw most times.

Mar 23, 2023
If it were a tin of tobacco, I would be more shocked. But, with bulks, especially if you are only buying a small size, under a pound, I'm not surprised. You have no idea how they store the bags, how long they've been serving out of that bag, or whether the bag has been butted up against a latakia bomb or next to their cat box. I mean, we all hope that they bag was in a humidor or somewhere where the humidity is controlled, and preserved as best as possible. But, it's luck of a draw most times.
Very true.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
+1

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About 40 years ago, when I first bought a pipe from Tinder Box and mostly smoked their "house blends," which are major blends renamed, I smoked aromatics, and after a while they left a bad after taste and didn't taste or smell that good. I smoked a little less and that helped, but not completely.

At this point, I think you'd do well to try some mild non-aromatic blends, mild burleys or Virginias, in rotation with your aromatics or in place of them for a while. Unless you are nicotine dependent, a vacation from your pipes for a while might help too. Change a few things and see if that brings the enjoyment back around.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Tobacco juice and crud can get caked in the area inside the shank (the mortise) where the face of the stem/tenon meets the pipe inside. Use a flashlight and see if brown or black gunk is caked up in that area. That build up can get very nasty and sour. With Meerschaum, you'll need to be extra careful scraping it out. With briar pipes, I use a dull, thin blade to gently scrape out as much crud as possible before I swab with an Everclear soaked Q-tip.
^^^^ This
Most likely to be crud in the shank, mortise or stem of your pipe than an issue with the tobacco.

Lots of threads on how to deep clean pipes here
Alcohol soaked pipe cleaners and q-tips are the go AFTER you have reamed out all the tars

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
I think that before we can respond, we need to get someone else to confirm that they notice a change as well. I don't entirely discount your post, but forgive me if I don't just take your word at face value. There are more people who smoke aromatics than non-aros, and it would seem like someone else would notice it also.

No one in my family has ever said that aros smell great when I smoke them. And, they've always had a taste like the way a candle smells just after you blow it out.
I guessing you smoke honestly the wrong Aros ;) maybe in eu we are more lucky picking Aros.

Davy

Can't Leave
Nov 22, 2022
I have noticed changes in Amphora Full Aroma, Original Blend and Black Cavendish. Tobacco compositions seem to be different as well as the pouch aromas, especially with the BC. To the point I didn't buy them anymore.
I have opened a few pouches of Captain Black (Gold, Royal and Regular) very recently and the pouch aroma and taste are much more subdued. I don't know if it's because the pouches have been sitting for a long time on the shelf or simply because there have been changes brought to the recipes.

Reactions: Mister Meerschàum

wernerat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2023
I have noticed changes in Amphora Full Aroma, Original Blend and Black Cavendish. Tobacco compositions seem to be different as well as the pouch aromas, especially with the BC. To the point I didn't buy them anymore.
I have opened a few pouches of Captain Black (Gold, Royal and Regular) very recently and the pouch aroma and taste are much more subdued. I don't know if it's because the pouches have been sitting for a long time on the shelf or simply because there have been changes brought to the recipes.
I don't know if that could be a reason. But also tobacco is a natural plant which will differ from year to year. At least with good vine differes from year to year a bit.
Although that it now tastes awful sounds not as the reason. But again who knows.
Would be interesting if you get an older cellered tobacco of this brand and try it.
It would solve probably a lot regarding the taste.

Also another reason could be that you smoke regularly other tobaccos and the changed again to aros.

I can only say it for cigarettes. I smoke a natural brand called manitou since I got hooked to natural virgina tobaccos of this brand every other cigarettes stink for me and smell awful. People offer other industrial cigarettes and I refuse they are just so chemical to me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I don't know if that could be a reason. But also tobacco is a natural plant which will differ from year to year. At least with good vine differes from year to year a bit.
Although that it now tastes awful sounds not as the reason. But again who knows.
Would be interesting if you get an older cellered tobacco of this brand and try it.

Also another reason could be that you smoke regularly other tobaccos and the changed again to aros.

I can only say it for cigarettes. I smoke a natural brand called manitou since I got hooked to natural virgina tobaccos of this brand every other cigarettes stink for me and smell awful. People offer other industrial cigarettes and I refuse they are just so chemical to me.
and then they have to try and blend it so it tastes the same as before. Kind of amazing they can keep things as consistent as they do.

Reactions: wernerat
Mar 23, 2023

Could be...I would like to try some of the cellared versions to compare. As far as smoking other versions, I had been pretty much sticking to 2 different cherry ones, Lane 1Q, and RLP6 because the family used to like the smell. I didn’t really start branching out again until these started tasting differently. The one that still tastes and smells just as good as ever is Old Toby.

Mar 23, 2023
Well, I’ve tried thoroughly cleaning my pipes, but the Cherry Jubilee didn’t get any better. I wrote another email to C&D, and just got a response yesterday. Jeremy Reeves said he had been traveling, but will look into it when he gets back.