PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
And when the tobacco is gone, some new Evil Thing will be selected by Those In Charge and every dime will be squeezed out of IT in the time between its selection and elimination...

... and when THAT is gone, another new Evil Thing will be selected by Those In Charge and every dime will be squeezed out of IT in the time between its selection and elimination...

... and when THAT is gone, another new Evil Thing will be selected by Those In Charge and every dime will be squeezed out of IT in the time between its selection and elimination...

etc

I'm sure you get the idea.

Why now, when humans have been around for millions of years and power-addicted narcissistic sociopaths have existed among them the entire time?

Because the technology to implement sufficient observation and control didn't exist until now.

Nitrane84

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2022
Chatham-Kent
And when the tobacco is gone, some new Evil Thing will be selected by Those In Charge and every dime will be squeezed out of IT in the time between its selection and elimination...

etc

Why now, when humans have been around for millions of years and power-addicted narcissistic sociopaths have existed among them the entire time?

Because the technology to implement sufficient observation and control didn't exist until now.
I can't get over the level of tax levied on us in this country. It's amazing.

BriarLinedMeer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 15, 2020
New Zealand

etc

If it was a health thing, they'd say "end of year, no more, full stop, end of."
But they keep raising the prices, sitting in their comfy chairs in parliament, with full bellies, strong social structures, full bank accounts, warm houses, and a secure job.

Meanwhile, that poor fulla in northland whom has nothing else but a smoke to look forward too gets told "you gotta stop mate, we'll keep increasing the prices until you do so"

Education and raising the standard for all is a much better way to tackle these issues, it also has the benefit of assisting with the inequality accross the board, rather than another poor tax.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
This was the most important post in this thread. If anyone has skimmed over this post and didn’t properly look into it, here’s a supplier who knows what is what. There are others too.

I've come across that whole leaf site before and IIRC, the prices seemed so reasonable that I was suspicious of credibility.

Anyone vouch for said credibility?

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I've come across that whole leaf site before and IIRC, the prices seemed so reasonable that I was suspicious of credibility.

Anyone vouch for said credibility?
I have ordered from them in the past. I also used totalleafsupply.com. If you are a bit hesitant as to whether or not the site is legit, and fair call given that I’ve heard there are a couple of fraudulent ones out there, go over to the fairtradetobacco.com forums and look at what they say. Also follow the link from that forum if needed as WLT run it.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
To the Aussies and Kiwis: are visitors allowed to bring tobacco with them when visiting your countries? And if so, are the visitors allowed to mail tobaccos to citizens within that country?

Just want to be prepared if I ever make it to one of your countries.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
To the Aussies and Kiwis: are visitors allowed to bring tobacco with them when visiting your countries? And if so, are the visitors allowed to mail tobaccos to citizens within that country?

Just want to be prepared if I ever make it to one of your countries.
To NZ you can bring 50g per adult tax free (OZ might be 30g from memory). Anything more than that and you will be charged duty.

You can mail tobacco to whoever you want within NZ, however you cannot legally mail tobacco to someone in NZ from overseas.

Mar 1, 2014
Remember whole leaf is effectively not taxed as tobacco.
There are various rules but it's basically the only way I can recommend Canadian's learn to explore pipesmoking.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina

etc

I believe the reason that "new Evil Things" are identified is that they need to replace the revenue stream. "Sin" taxes will never grow revenue over time unless of course the rate is raised. Politicians are addicted to money, especially when it's not theirs. Sin taxes are a politically acceptable means of raising money, after all, who doesn't like punishing a sinner? Not a new phenomenon, though technology is an enabler.

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa

etc

When the criminals in charge use the term "big" the taxation begins. Big oil and big tobacco are the two big ones of the bigs for decades. If its not big, its not worth going after, yet.

Reactions: Sethology12

Sethology12

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2023
Richmond, Va
Remember whole leaf is effectively not taxed as tobacco.
There are various rules but it's basically the only way I can recommend Canadian's learn to explore pipesmoking.
At that pointnid just recommend no one get into pipe smoking. What's the fun of just smoking a whole leaf? Canada sounds like a nightmare though. Virginia seems comparatively like paradise