PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
Today's legislation raises the tax on a carton of cigarettes by $37.80, bringing the total carton cost to more than $130. The news report did not say if other forms of tobacco would be affected. Time to expand your cellars, gentlemen and ladies. As I read in some post on here, "Tobacco prices will never again be this low."

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Today's legislation raises the tax on a carton of cigarettes by $37.80, bringing the total carton cost to more than $130. The news report did not say if other forms of tobacco would be affected. Time to expand your cellars, gentlemen and ladies. As I read in some post on here, "Tobacco prices will never again be this low."
Yeah - it affects other tobacco, but I forget how much. There was an article either in La Presse or Journal Métro this morning.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Quebec is still the cheapest in Canada lol.

Cubatogo

Lurker
Feb 10, 2023
Canadians, from your experience ordering from the US….which is a better choice, order tobacco from SmokingPipes and pay $5 shipping or order from say CupofJoe and pay approx. $20-$25 shipping and handling. In short, if stopped at customs would duty/taxes work out to be the same for either bringing the cost equal?

Reactions: wyfbane

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Canadians, from your experience ordering from the US….which is a better choice, order tobacco from SmokingPipes and pay $5 shipping or order from say CupofJoe and pay approx. $20-$25 shipping and handling. In short, if stopped at customs would duty/taxes work out to be the same for either bringing the cost equal?
If customs stops the package, it doesn't matter where the order came from, the duties are the same.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Mike is very correct. There are Federal duties and taxes added, which in the grand scheme of things are not so worse.... BUT the BC provincial tax on tobacco is ... hhmmm how shall I word this .... extreme .... outrageous ... punitive ...... or shall we call it straight ... highway robbery!

Mike

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Come to BC. Get sticker shock. 50 gram tins now $85.00 CDN each. BC does not = British Columbia. BC = Bring Cash!

When I began my pipe enjoyment journey .... 2 oz of tobacco cost an hours minimum wage. Now it's a days wages.
Cellar deep my friends.

Mike
Yeah I was in BC when I first started smoking. Bought some Old Dublin from a shop that was on Cambie and about 43rd (don't know if it’s still there) for $50.

Cubatogo

Lurker
Feb 10, 2023
Mike is very correct. There are Federal duties and taxes added, which in the grand scheme of things are not so worse.... BUT the BC provincial tax on tobacco is ... hhmmm how shall I word this .... extreme .... outrageous ... punitive ...... or shall we call it straight ... highway robbery!

Mike
Robbery for sure, and then the ridiculous plain brown packaging as an added insult. I heard in BC that the govt. supplies heroin and needles to addicts for free. Marijuana is sold in candy decorated packages and disguised as gummy bears. Zero logic but wouldn’t expect it any other way with our govt.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Yeah I was in BC when I first started smoking. Bought some Old Dublin from a shop that was on Cambie and about 43rd (don't know if it’s still there) for $50.
Aro, the RJ Clarke Shop on Cambie Street is no longer there. The building it was in, is slated for redevelopment, into condos.....

Reactions: canucklehead

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Robbery for sure, and then the ridiculous plain brown packaging as an added insult. I heard in BC that the govt. supplies heroin and needles to addicts for free. Marijuana is sold in candy decorated packages and disguised as gummy bears. Zero logic but wouldn’t expect it any other way with our govt.
I can't comment on the availability of any drug, as I am not a user of either...... but pot is legal in BC.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
On a side note, to those in Canada .... the duties and taxes on whole leaf unprocessed tobacco is very low. Under $5.00 per lb ..... hint hint ....... You will need to look up the tariff number and make sure the shipper has it posted on the invoice ......

Mike
This was the most important post in this thread. If anyone has skimmed over this post and didn’t properly look into it, here’s a supplier who knows what is what. There are others too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ouch, one-hundred and thirty for a carton of nails. At that price only the nicotine addicted will partake. I wonder how the tax revenue weighs against the cost of enforcement. Presumably, it costs more to buy on a pack-by-pack basis.