PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But I'm glad to know my laziness, is actually doing me good, rather than cleaning them first and making them less clean in the long run.
I won't even open new ones until right before I place them in bulk tobacco bags and fill them.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I wash my jars because:

National Center for Home Food Preservation

I run them through my dishwasher twice by themselves without the lids before using them. Any potential residue or contaminants are rinsed away and any potential bacteria is killed.

Before anyone brings it up, yes most home dishwashers get hot enough to kill bacteria. If it produces steam it is enough to kill bacteria with enough exposure time. I'm sure 1 wash cycle is enough but hitting a few buttons doesn't take much extra effort.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Mold is always the issue with cellars or humidors. But, we had a member that had a case of new Mason Jars tested, and they come more sterile than if you boiled them. Actually, anything that you do to them in thinking that it will better clean a new jar will make it less sterile than if you just use it fresh out of the box.
That sounds like a great science project for my 9 y/o. Which of daddy's tobacco storage jars are the most hygienic, new or used?

Status
Not open for further replies.