PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I scrub mine with detergent and hot tap water inside and out and then rinse them well. While they are still hot I then pour water that has just come off the boil into them. After about a couple of minutes I tip the water out and let them air cool. As they are still quite hot any residual moisture evaporates. I then loosely put the lid on until I am ready to fill it. I won’t fill it until it is 100% back to room temp. This has worked for me so far.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I just hand wash with Dawn dish soap in water that's as hot as you can stand and then dry. If I'm doing a large number of them, I just run the jars and rings through the dishwas.h.e.r(sic) by themselves with no other dishes.
DO NOT run the lids as the heat from the dishwas.h.e.r(sic) can damage the rubber gasket on them.

(sic)=putting the word w.a.s.h.e.r normally creates this guy sher

Reactions: cortezattic
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I just open and jar and haven't had an issue.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I just hand wash with Dawn dish soap in water that's as hot as you can stand and then dry. If I'm doing a large number of them, I just run the jars and rings through the dishwas.h.e.r(sic) by themselves with no other dishes.
DO NOT run the lids as the heat from the dishwas.h.e.r(sic) can damage the rubber gasket on them.

(sic)=putting the word w.a.s.h.e.r normally creates this guy sher
Very nice! Lmao

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
I’ve canned for years and only sterilize jars when canning food products. For tobacco, I just rinse them out with hot water from the tap along with the lid. Paper towel dry and fill.

Tobacco is far from sterile, so I don’t go to extremes. Around 300 jars and never had a problem.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They come hermetically sealed, no need for sanitizing. I just fill them up and stick them in the closet.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I detected a smell from manufacturing that I didn't like, so I get out a clean dish towel, rinse everything with very hot water and dry each one as I load it. No problems so far.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and oldtoby

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I’ve never washed a new jar before jamming it full of tobacco, never had a problem yet
Used ones I wash out with a mild dish soap and air dry completely before filling it again with a fresh batch

Reactions: oldtoby

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
I detected a smell from manufacturing that I didn't like, so I get out a clean dish towel, rinse everything with very hot water and dry each one as I load it. No problems so far.

View attachment 3496
Yeah jay, I have detected that smell in some of the jars myself.
Picked up a case of quart wide mouth jars today and the couple I used had that “funk” in them.

To me it’s sorta like buying new underwear or socks. It won’t hurt a thing, but I just feel better washing them before wearing. YMMV. ?

Reactions: jaytex1969
Status
Not open for further replies.