PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don_Muertos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Nicaragua
I suppose. I do think most readers will understand what I meant, general usage and such. But, thanks for the clarification.
I was being contrary, not clarifying. Human nature as expressed is almost always an expression of human habit. A common poor perception of nature vs nurture. I'm a bit of a naturalist, I find people magnanimous in their natural state. It's the polluted, removed from nature, that are predatory. Human nature is defined as being humane, it's circular, but the truth.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Human nature is defined as being humane
I've never seen such a definition. Perhaps it recently came in vogue.

Everyone acts in a predatory manner, at times. Be it siblings, competing vendors, sports competitors, rival beaus. attorneys, competing co-workers, political candidates, and, so forth. A friendly game of poker among friends will prove that.

As a copper, I was at the head of the predator hierarchy, I preyed upon predators for a living. Predatory behavior is simply built into the human psyche. The instinct for survival will bring out the predator in most everyone when placed in jeopardy. I will acknowledge that there are some who would sacrifice themselves for others. Humane behavior is not instinctive, often it's calculated or even forced on a person. That's why we must have laws, referees (cops), expensive legal systems and such. The human being is not innately humane towards others. That has to be instilled by parents, family and others. Then it must be enforced by society. Am I too cynical? I prefer to think of myself as a realist. I've seen too much of "man's inhumanity to man" to believe otherwise.

Don_Muertos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Nicaragua
I was being contrary, not clarifying. Human nature as expressed is almost always an expression of human habit. A common poor perception of nature vs nurture. I'm a bit of a naturalist, I find people magnanimous in their natural state. It's the polluted, removed from nature, that are predatory.

Everyone acts in a predatory manner, at times. Be it siblings, competing vendors, sports competitors, rival beaus. attorneys, competing co-workers, political candidates, and, so forth. A friendly game of poker among friends will prove that.

As a copper, I was at the head of the predator hierarchy, I preyed upon predators for a living. Predatory behavior is simply built into the human psyche. The instinct for survival will bring out the predator in most everyone when placed in jeopardy. I will acknowledge that there are some who would sacrifice themselves for others. Humane behavior is not instinctive, often it's calculated or even forced on a person. That's why we must have laws, referees (cops), expensive legal systems and such. The human being is not innately humane towards others. That has to be instilled by parents, family and others. Then it must be enforced by society. Am I too cynical? I prefer to think of myself as a realist. I've seen too much of "man's inhumanity to man" to believe otherwise.
Oh! You're an authoritarian. You do the woodsman look so well for. I know that fact is a thing authoritarians struggle with. And often adopt definitions to justify their actions differently from their "criminalized" contemporaries. You express the same attitudes as some of the more dangerous people I've had the privilege of knowing

humane
hyoo͞-mān′

adjective​

1. Characterized by kindness, mercy, or compassion.
  2. Characterized by an emphasis on humanistic values and concerns.
  3. Pertaining to man; human.
It's been the same definition for 600 years, I'm not sure how vogue my interpretation could be here. But with it spelled out in front of you see how humane and human are are circularly interconnected when you introduce linguistically defined fact. Colloquialism works very well for in populations that find facts are for suckers.

Yup, nothing remotely describes the character nor duties of an overseer. We usually find what we're looking. If I go looking for trouble, I find it.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Warren,

I think you're being punked by Don Of The Dead here. Cheating people is never humane, though it certainly is human. The distinction between nature and habit is a false one in that they are not mutually exclusive. Rather, nature influences habit.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I think those of us who wanted to learn something from this thread did. We also learned alot about our fellow forum members, so I would chalk this up to a successful thread. Thank you all who actually had a constructive opinion and not a conceded remark. This thread can be closed thank you mods.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.