PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
Everything I've ever sold there, no Penzance or Stonehaven just harder to get "other" things, has always ended up being sold to someone from China, never once has it gone to the US, somethings they will pay stupid money for and horde because of the name, I seriously doubt if it ever get's smoked, much like their buying up Cuban Davidoffs and some other Rare HTF vintage stuff it's purely a commodity to be owned and bragged about.
Tobacco collectors l guess.

Reactions: Puffaluffaguss

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I had never visited that site till just now. HOLY COW!! If people actually are paying anywhere near those starting bid rates, then I have a fortune in pipe tobacco cellared away. I don't even understand how someone would be willing to pay so much for something in production that only has a few years on it. You can still find blends at B&M's that have a few years on them.

Is this like a special needs pipe smoker's site?

You know, just letting a tin set in a closet doesn't cost someone money. And, just a few years... it kills me how people think that just a few years drastically makes a blend so much better. If we were talking decades, that would be different.
Lol , you would be surprised on the deals 1 can get from someone just trying to make an extra buck when in need especially if it's not an auction with many eyes on it. That's why I love the auction concept, but as in anything that humans ate a part of. It will be corrupted by someone at some point

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I notice with younger people that if they can't find something online, it doesn't exist. I was talking with my daughter's friends about collecting vinyl records. They were all like, I can't find records of such and such artist for less than $100. I suggested a few places downtown, where they found what they were looking for, for under $10. But the idea that they would have to go somewhere baffled them.

Young people want the entirety of their world to exist online. But, there are B&M's that still have shelves full of this stuff somewhere. You don't want to call around or look... then pay $500, ha ha. The cost of laziness.
Very easy to say when in an abundant area of tobaccanist. In my city none of the B&Ms have any tins and the city near me that does sell tins they are the only place in at least a 100 mile radius. With a wife and kids, packing um up for a road trip for tobacco is kinda insane. So I understand the need to purchase online except you might not find or have enough to spend on that item so kinda lose lose or win win depending on the outcome 😅

Reactions: Boognish

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
No
For quite some time now, another website has set the price in aged tobacco tins. And previously wouldn’t accept anything less that 5 years old.

I’ve never looked at ‘Tinbids’, and I doubt I’ll be buying from them.

That said, I could care less what prices tobacco goes for… there are plenty of other goods and services brokered in the real world at what might be considered outrageous prices. You do have an option; don’t buy, or do some legwork and find a cheaper source or alternative. Griping on a web forum isn’t going to change anything.
No it won't help in terms of people being people, but if you think having a discussion about this kind of stuff on a site dedicated to pipes and tobacco is pointless you can have back your 2cents because this discussion ain't for you obviously.

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I've seen this a number of times on eBay as well. I attribute it to the sellers' absolute belief that they're right coupled with a stubborn streak. I've known people like that. Their world view is set in concrete and they have a host of mental defenses justifying it against all evidence or logic.

So, did anyone offer up actual evidence of shilling on this thread, or just speculation?
It's all speculation until enough instances add up to a conclusion. What that conclusion is, we may never know.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I've watched the unicorns Dark Star and Stonehaven for a few months. I've made bids for what I feel is a fair after market price. I've lost every time. I have noticed the same couple of bidders bid on everything I'm interested in.
💯 what happend to me, and now we are getting somewhere. It's easy to tell too because when you check the bid history, it's you and one other person and it's really obvious at that point.

Reactions: TN Jed

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Arango Cigar, the company that owns the rights and distributes Esoterica, should not sell to any retailers it suspects of working with resellers. The best practice is what SP does with its waiting list where the entire list is rotated through for notification in order--and then reset each time. As for B&M's, I think it would be easy to track where bags are headed with a simple serial number laser printed on the bags.

Puffaluffaguss

Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Arango Cigar, the company that owns the rights and distributes Esoterica, should not sell to any retailers it suspects of working with resellers. The best practice is what SP does with its waiting list where the entire list is rotated through for notification in order--and then reset each time. As for B&M's, I think it would be easy to track where bags are headed with a simple serial number laser printed on the bags.
The 1 B&M near me that has a good selection when it has esoterica limits to 1 8oz bag per and 2 tins per or 4 tins with no bag purchase. I mean it is an honest way to do business. I'm under the assumption alot of B&M owners don't know about the extent of the mark ups on the aftermarket and if they do we can only assume the worst.

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Very easy to say when in an abundant area of tobaccanist. In my city none of the B&Ms have any tins and the city near me that does sell tins they are the only place in at least a 100 mile radius. With a wife and kids, packing um up for a road trip for tobacco is kinda insane. So I understand the need to purchase online except you might not find or have enough to spend on that item so kinda lose lose or win win depending on the outcome 😅
You can find an insane variety of tobaccos at places like smokingpipes.com, without the need to spend obscene amounts of money on tins because they're hyped up on the internet.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
What has been overlooked is, for the most part, a site sponsor has been trashed in this thread based purely on speculation. I haven't used Tinbids myself to either by or sell. But it seems like a great concept for all of us who buy and sell pipe and tobacco products.

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
What has been overlooked is, for the most part, a site sponsor has been trashed in this thread based purely on speculation. I haven't used Tinbids myself to either by or sell. But it seems like a great concept for all of us who buy and sell pipe and tobacco products.
Not anything wrong with questioning businesses, even if they sponsor the site?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
In case someone asks

"12. Complaints About a Service / Product / Maker / Brand

Publicly posting a complaint about any service, product, maker, or brand is only allowed AFTER you have contacted them directly with the issue, and given them 36 hours to respond, and another 24 hours to resolve the isuue.

We DO NOT ALLOW posts like this:

"I am unhappy with this pipe I just bought because of....... How in the heck could they even sell this thing... blah blah blah. Should I call them and complain? Should I return it?"

Yes. You should contact them before making a post about it, and you should only post about it if it is unresolved."

Status
Not open for further replies.