PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Not had or done porridge in years but I can inform you that in Armley Gaol (Leeds, Yorkshire) back in the 1980's the porridge they served every morning was GREEN 😱.

The story went that some wag (or rather some lag) slipped some green food dye in the mix for a laugh and for some reason it caught on.

When the lags were served up normal porridge they complained so green dye was added thereafter.

Regards,

Jay.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I do keep meaning to get her a spurtle
I'm greatly amused that there's a special instrument for cooking oats that's essentially nothing more than a stick.

Which reminds me that the US Patent Office granted a patent application for a stick (ok, strictly speaking, an item that looks like a stick, which makes it even funnier, I think): US6360693B1 - Animal toy - Google Patents - https://patents.google.com/patent/US6360693B1/en
US6360693-drawings-page-2.png

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I love porridge oatmeal. I make them with milk and some water, if I don't have water, I add a little bourbon, and if I don't have oatmeal, I just drink bourbon. Joking aside, I love porridge, plus, while I cook the porridge in a saucepan, I drink whiskey to lose track of time. Besides, I'm the best looking guy on the forum, Simong told me, from UK.211edd95c59142f4eb01ad52a68bee93422281b7f16f0a7cc08f758d96af2886._RI_TTW_.png

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I love porridge oatmeal. I make them with milk and some water, if I don't have water, I add a little bourbon, and if I don't have oatmeal, I just drink bourbon. Joking aside, I love porridge, plus, while I cook the porridge in a saucepan, I drink whiskey to lose track of time. Besides, I'm the best looking guy on the forum, Simong told me, from UK.View attachment 237302
Being the best lookin guy on this forum is like wearing your cleanest, dirty shirt. Congratulations, John!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Porridge ... I could never get into it, but it may be because when I was living in the US the only thing in reach for me was the quaker oatmeal. It was quite bland, so I never actually gave it too much thought. They say that oat is good for your digestive system .. be that as a may, I would much rather eat something else. I guess it's a culture thing.

Reactions: mingc and JOHN72

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Porridge ... I could never get into it, but it may be because when I was living in the US the only thing in reach for me was the quaker oatmeal. It was quite bland, so I never actually gave it too much thought. They say that oat is good for your digestive system .. be that as a may, I would much rather eat something else. I guess it's a culture thing.
Supposedly good for lowering cholesterol.
Much as I like it, I can’t imagine eating porridge very day

Quaker Oats was the brand I grew up eating when I was in Malaysia.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
As a kid I preferred fine rolled oats in cold milk with with a spoonful of instant cacao and sweetened with sugar. It was getting better and batter till the end when the oats sucked up the cacao. Heard of porridge later.
I like toasted oats (muesli)
But always with chopped nuts and dried fruit.
And cold milk 😋
But not on cold mornings. That calls for a bowl of hot porridge

Reactions: mingc

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Steel Cut made a day prior, made with water. Then I opt to use Cream and Sugar. Or sometimes savory, just Butter and Salt. You’d be surprised how good oats can be when you step outside of the usual condiments.
I’ve seen recipes for savoury porridge - @bullet08 posted his.
I‘ll have to get my head around that one as I’ve always had my porridge sugared
Maybe it’s time to step out of the square

I’ll try it when my wife is not around.
Otherwise she may find another use for the spurtle 😁

Reactions: JOHN72 and mingc

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Not had or done porridge in years but I can inform you that in Armley Gaol (Leeds, Yorkshire) back in the 1980's the porridge they served every morning was GREEN 😱.

The story went that some wag (or rather some lag) slipped some green food dye in the mix for a laugh and for some reason it caught on.

When the lags were served up normal porridge they complained so green dye was added thereafter.

Regards,

Jay.
BTW, at christmas time the green dye was swapped for red dye!

Regards,

Jay.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
In Ukraine and the southern part of Russia porridges made out of millet are even more common, also it can serve as a main dish combined with pumpkin backed in a low heat oven.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
In Ukraine and the southern part of Russia porridges made out of millet are even more common, also it can serve as a main dish combined with pumpkin backed in a low heat oven.
It’s interesting to see which grains predominate in different regions of the world

In southern China, South East Asia and India, it’s rice, of course
As we head north in China, rice gives way to wheat (noodles and dumplings)
And further north towards Korea, millet becomes more commonplace.
I imagine the same is true of Europe

In large parts of Africa, the Americas and parts of Europe maize/corn was the main crop with cornmeal and polenta featuring in the diet

The climate determines which crops are grown