PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It's winter Downunder and that means porridge for breakfast

My preference is a 50:50 mix of rolled and steel cut oats. The steel cut oats giving it a chewier texture
Made with full cream milk (absolutely no water added)
And a pinch of salt
Slightly runny rather than thick and gloppy.

Then raw sugar added
Lately I've done a taste-off with various sugars - golden syrup, maple syrup, muscovado sugar, panella, rapadura, and coconut sugar
My favourite: muscovado followed by panella and a full-flavoured maple syrup.

How do you have yours ?

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I need to up my porridge (oatmeal?) game. I always just do the crappy instant stuff with flavorings already added that you just pop in the microwave. I’m sure a proper bowl of porridge would be light years better, I’m just too lazy.

Reactions: JOHN72 and MattRVA

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Quaker Oats Raisins and Spice Instant with a pinch of cream; If very hungry i cut it with a second packet of plain oatmeal. Never made the kind you have to cook though I've heard its excellent. Sometimes I add dried cranberries to it.

I really do prefer over easy fried eggs and virginia honey ham with buttered toast though.

And sometimes I get requests for my scrambled eggs which I make the french way with cream and chives (same way Jacques Pepin does it) as my father taught me. He got the recipe from his mother.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I need to up my porridge (oatmeal?) game. I always just do the crappy instant stuff with flavorings already added that you just pop in the microwave. I’m sure a proper bowl of porridge would be light years better, I’m just too lazy.
My wife does it for me.
She is half Scottish (on her mum's side), so full confidence in her ability 😁
She adds a pinch of cinnamon powder which gives it a lift.
And works well with the dark sugar

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I really do prefer over easy fried eggs and virginia honey ham with buttered toast though.

And sometimes I get requests for my scrambled eggs which I make the french way with cream and chives (same way Jacques Pepin does it) as my father taught me. He got the recipe from his mother.
I like bacon with my eggs - dry cured and smoked
The "standard" bacon we get Downunder is brined, which is really inferior
And you have to request streaky bacon

Yup, cream for scrambled eggs, AND butter
One reason why I'm not allowed it often :rolleyes:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I usually go for savory mix. salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne. Usually top it with sausage links and eggs over easy. Oh! Don't forget butter. Mix 'em up and that's an one filling breakie.
Is that oat porridge or rice ?

I do like rice congee for brekkie at times.
My favourite is salted pork with preserved ("100yo") eggs)