Please Recommend A Mower, Not Briggs & Strat.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
3 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
30 Fresh Brigham Pipes
6 Fresh Estate Pipes
6 Fresh Ardor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Growing up, and over most of my adult life as a householder, I have reveled in the wonderfully sturdy, work horse attributes of Briggs and Stratton engines on lawn mowers. Sometimes I could maintain them and sometimes I just had to pour in the gas and refill the oil and I was mowing. My most recent B&S engine has been a total disappointment. It was good for two or three years, but after that it was slow to start. Now, after doing all the simple maintenance, it didn't start, and I took it to an engine shop and had them do more maintenance for about eighty bucks, but then because of medical matters with my wife, I didn't get back to mow for months. Once I did, no go. I'm just tired of mucking around with this, and don't want to take a chance on another Briggs and Stratton. So who else has good luck with other brand engines? I just need a sturdy small push mower (mulching) that ages well and starts dependably. The old B&S mowers used to be good for eight or ten years or more. Some of my used ones went for six or eight years with nary a problem. Boy, have they gone down hill. Who likes what they have for low maintenance, durability, and reliability in a small engine push mower?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I cannot suggest a mower, but agree that quality and reliability of things have diminished. They are engineering a limited life span on everything these days, knowing just how long something will last with regular use, so you will be a buyer again sooner than later.

For instance, my heat pump is a Trane, considered one of the best in the industry. The unit is about 15 years old and has had maintenance regularly. Replaced a few items here and there in the last couple of years, but the tech told me I'd never get 15-20 years out of any newer units and make this one last as long as I can. As they are making them to only last 10-15 years now instead of 15-20.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
voorhees, it's true. This is what opened the floodgate to German and Japanese cars in the 1960's when U.S. auto makers were designing rust-out rocker panels. The U.S. lost half the auto market in the U.S. by trying to build in obsolescence. And here came the Volkswagen that was designed to run a minimum of ten to fifteen years. You can make a lot of money for a few quarters, a few years, doing that, but then oops, people discover another way. I have the suspicion I'll end up with a Honda or some mower engine that wasn't built stateside, and I think that's sad. Especially since Briggs and Stratton was such a marvelous work horse of a machine, kind of a miracle. Well, no more.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
I have the suspicion I'll end up with a Honda or some mower engine that wasn't built stateside, and I think that's sad.
That's the engine I'm going to recommend you; had a model with a B&S that crapped out on me soon after I bought it. Returned it, got one with a Honda engine and never had one single problem. I like to keep my money Stateside when I can, but what are you gonna do?
Here's some models from Lowe's with Honda engines:
http://www.lowes.com/pl/Gas-push-lawn-mowers-Push-lawn-mowers-Lawn-mowers-Outdoor-tools-equipment-Outdoors/4294612703?refinement=4294820119

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have one of Husqvarna'a AWD models, and it does have a Honda engine, but for 4 years, one pull was all it takes to start it every time.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Maybe you just have a lemon. I've had plenty of Briggs engines. Usually ran them until the rest of the mower fell apart. I've also had a few Tecumseh engines as well as Kubota, Honda and Caterpillar/Perkins. All have run fine.
If you have the money.... Get a Diesel. They will last for several lifetimes.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I bought a Honda push mower back in '86.. gave it to my son when I moved and needed a lawn tractor he is still using.

Jun 4, 2014
I have to agree with buying a mower with a Honda motor. All the portable generators, jaw of life hydraulic pumps, vent fans and portable pumps at our fire apparatus have Honda motors. We have used allot of the other brands in the past and now won't even consider buying something with out a Honda because of how reliable they are.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
MSO it's a mixed bag now. Kawasaki has the most American labor in it. Honda is made everywhere, my New Mantis 4 cycle Tillers engine is made in Thialand. My Zero Turn Troy Bilt has a 24 HP Kohler that I believe was assemblied in Miss, Looking around looks like the best buy is a Troy Bilt with Honda Eng for under 300$. Tip here water is the worst thing you can do to a lawn mower to keep a deck clean, as it cools it sucks water into mandrels causing Bearing problems. Caution Troy Bilt mower decks don't last, I had to replace an 8 yr Old Zero Turn Troy Bilt with Kohler engine because mower deck had rotted out, Deck was 1/3 of the price of a new one. One thing I do is keep clean gas in them, run them for 1/2 hr each month during the winter months, all my equipment is in the barn, it also runs the mice out that the cats don't get, sometimes I see a woozy cat that failed to hightail out of the barn, :laughat: : they don't make that mistake twice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
brad, my problem mower is Troy Bilt, so there's a problem there for sure. I think I may place a bet on a Honda engine. Really good info here. I plan to re-read all of this so it sinks in (I'm off on a medical excursion right now). This is great background. I didn't realize how crucial this little one cylinder wonder is to my life and yard, but now I'm facing a jungle. I guess I'll give this current misery (the mower) away, and start over with something I hope is better. Any further advice is welcome. Thanks guys, this gives me something to work with.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
So this is a push mower? I was under the assumption you were talking about a riding mower. I have several mowers that I keep for back up. Look on Craig's List, you can usually get push mowers cheap (like $50.00 or so). It would make a good back up for when your primary dies or needs service.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Go to home depot and get a Honda Branded Honda Mower. They have some with different bells and whistles but I bought $400 one and it starts on the first pull every time for two years.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I always do a LOT of research and look at various reviews before I ever purchase anything that is of any substantial cost, which for me is anything over $20.00! I had an electric lawnmower for well over 30 years and finally got sick and tired of having to pull out a 50 foot cord (aside from the fact that it was obviously old).
I settled on a Cub Cadet SC-100 from Home Depot (not self propelled) as it had the highest reviews for it's price. So far so good and it always starts on the first pull. Not at all sure where the engine is made, but then again I don't really give a rats ass as its come to the point that its really difficult to track down where an engine is made and I can guarantee that most are not made in the U.S.A. Since I retired eleven years ago keeping my lawn in a lush and immaculate condition has sort of become my 'rice bowl' and so far I'm loving this sucker. It obviously comes with a bag, but so far I've simply been mulching when I mow and it seems to do a great job. Then again, I never mow the lawn until I know that it's dry.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm on my 2nd Toro at this home. The first went 12 years, I sold it to a neighbor who still uses it. I bought another Toro with the Honda motor, seems just as bullet proof as the last (only the self propelled cable failed on the first, the only repair necessary). I do treat my gas with Marine grade Stabil, religously. I bought mine from MowersDirect.com. It was $200 cheaper than locally, they delivered to my door step, I put gas/oil in it and it started on the first pull.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm on my 2nd Toro at this home. The first went 12 years, I sold it to a neighbor who still uses it. I bought another Toro with the Honda motor, seems just as bullet proof as the last (only the self propelled cable failed on the first, the only repair necessary). I do treat my gas with Marine grade Stabil, religously. I bought mine from MowersDirect.com. It was $200 cheaper than locally, they delivered to my door step, I put gas/oil in it and it started on the first pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.