PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I drive open air (old Jeep Wrangler) until actual winter, so I've never had a problem getting a bowl lit
when I'm stopped, then smoking with a wind cap on while I drive. I've never actually smoked when
I have it closed up for cold weather.

My suggestion for a "regular" car, would simply be have all the windows down, and use a wind cap.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I can no longer perform that test, my friend Paul. Recently came a law, which already prohibits smoking while driving.

Are you serious, that’s ridiculous... :(

I was just joking to myself, how texting on a cellphone is against the law, and then someday it will be illegal to smoke your pipe and drive.

P.S. This article from last year says it’s not expressly prohibited, but that police can fine you if they think you ate being distracted.

This article says it’s not illegal too, talks about distraction as well, and mentions it should be a fine if children are in the vehicle.

Oh, pretty girl walking down the road, and you look, and are distracted and pulled over and fined for looking while driving... LOL ?

@JOHN72 it looks like you can smoke, just don’t look distracted. ;)

Last edited:

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
I like smoking a pipe while driving long distances...my windows are opened slightly all the time even in the dead of winter...I hate ac in my truck so never use it..always been sick from it..I have to admit smoking a pipe is a little dangerous while driving cause relights,temping etc and you put your eyes of the road...Prefer cigars for that reason...pipe smokes a little hotter because the air flow but is manageble...I would never live in the country disgracing your freedoms not to be able to smoke in your own vehicle !!!!!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I don't smoke pipes very often in the vehicles but have done it more recently because of a couple longer road trips and had prepared by having my tobacco well dried before leaving and pipes picked out. Open the windows a hair, but A/C still going because it was 90+, cracked the sun roof, and pretty relaxing. No issues. The one time I remember an issue I had just bought some tobacco at a local shop while away and tried to work some right from the pouch while driving about the town and relights/overheating you name it, all of which I blame on getting aggressive with a too wet an aromatic.

Reactions: JOHN72 and kurtbob

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Are you serious, that’s ridiculous... :(

I was just joking to myself, how texting on a cellphone is against the law, and then someday it will be illegal to smoke your pipe and drive.

P.S. This article from last year says it’s not expressly prohibited, but that police can fine you if they think you ate being distracted.

This article says it’s not illegal too, talks about distraction as well, and mentions it should be a fine if children are in the vehicle.

Oh, pretty girl walking down the road, and you look, and are distracted and pulled over and fined for looking while driving... LOL ?

@JOHN72 it looks like you can smoke, just don’t look distracted. ;)
Yes, bro. You could already check it out, in those links. What's next? It's depressing, what they are doing. However, they open dozens of pharmacies in the villages, and we have record sales of antidepressants, and suicides, all over Europe.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Driving alone around town is always an opportunity for me to smoke my pipe without a problem, although I light it while parked not while negotiating heavy traffic at rush hour. I haven't noticed a difference yet but will observe in future. If an issue I have a cup holder which I lined with a silicone wine glass cut down to fit as a liner... I just put the pipe down. Twice I have been stopped by the drivers next to me at lights with favorable comments. As long as I have a seat belt on and not speeding police won't bother; they are more concerned about cell phones. I imagine in today's world, a pipe smoker is not the biggest concern of the police ! I work in an inner city where there are many heavy smokers of blunts, and other types of pipes and substances which, once illegal are now no longer an enforced legal issue. My pipe is probably a refreshing change. The ritzy town nearby however does generate some looks by overly concerned environmental warriors but I just wave and drive on as if they are happy I exist and am amongst them !! ;) The trick is to not give them the attention they crave.

I suppose it could be an issue as our distracted driving law covers anything that distracts you ... I once actually got a ticket for changing the radio station at a red light ... I suspect the cop was going off shift and had a quota to fill. P.S That was a ritzy town cop.

Sailingtiger

Lurker
May 30, 2022
I am not a lawyer but your car is an extension of your home, Castle Doctrine. Several states ban smoking with children in the car, different ages based on particular State so not sure police officer was correct. However if you are courteous and say Sir and Officer a lot I have learnt that policeman are cool tough job but some laws are silly.
Cheers