PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I do it every day and the smokes tend to be better than when sitting at home, for some reason. No increased heat at all. Cigars are different: you have to carefully aim and adjust the vents and stuff, or the burn becomes ludicrous. YMMV, pun intended.

By the way, this is unhealthy as hell with cigars, as a quirk of light revealed to me a short time ago. Turn off the air, crack the windows open slightly, and vent the smoke. The air conditioner just doesn't do it quickly enough. Wondered why I was coughing after a drive w/stogie. Duh...

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I can no longer perform that test, my friend Paul. Recently came a law, which already prohibits smoking while driving.
I see this coming here. There's a certain trajectory of things that becomes evident when wishful thinking starts to wear thin. Looks like I've got some jail time in my future. See some of youse guys there, perhaps.

H

Hfinn

I run into this when I work on my laptop at home. When my hands are busy and all attention is switched, I cease to control the bowl and the breaks between puffs. It's hot, but I'm already used to it, sometimes I even light a second pipe, because this way the work goes much better and I look very cool ?

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I can no longer perform that test, my friend Paul. Recently came a law, which already prohibits smoking while driving.
Got pulled over in cali in a crap little town years ago, wasn’t doing anything wrong, cop explained no smoking in public places and somehow according to communistafornia that includes your car on a public street. For the record i admit smoking my passenger was and the op say him blow a hit out the window. No ticket just a warning.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I rarely smoke a pipe when I'm driving, but when I do I find that the smoke is hotter. I blame this on my cadence and not the tobacco. I'm concentrating more on my driving then my cadence, so I puff faster. Also, some drivers just get my blood to boiling and this will cause me to puff faster. I don't believe, in my case, that the fan causes the pipe to get hotter because the fents are pointed away from me.

Infantry23

Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
I mostly smoke while driving due to family circumstances. And my car no longer has functional AC, so i smoke with a cracked window in the winter to vent out the smoke and in the summer so as not to burn the tobacco too hot. However, this is always a failure since the tobacco always burns hot and the taste is lost as a result.

Reading the thread about the morning routines some of you guys have makes me want to get up earlier to smoke and have coffee. But alas, as one member keenly pointed out, I too would rather sleep more than wake up early, even for a pipe.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Along the same lines, when I’m driving my 2015 and pipe smoking I constantly have one fear……airbag deployment while I’m clenching my pipe. I can see it now in my head, airbag goes off, pipe stem violently pierces brain stem through back of throat! The investigating officer tells my wife that the crash didn’t kill him…..his pipe did?

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I spent too many Summer vacations riding in my stogie smoking uncle's station wagon on mountain roads, and riding Greyhound busses x-country with menthol smokers.

I did pipe in my VW in college back when the clocks were moved due to an energy crisis and my 7AM class became a 6AM class, just to help stay awake.
But it's not something I'd consider these days driving my family sedan.

Reactions: JOHN72 and kurtbob
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
When I have the window cracked I notice this.

If a policeman ever tries to stop me for smoking in my own car they'll just have to kill me.

A couple of weeks ago I had the misfortune of being stopped in a road block on my residential road. The first thing the guy said to me was "put of that cigarette".. I asked him why, he said he doesn't like the smell. I thought about this for a second.. a lady named Sandra Bland crossed my mind.. and I said, "I don't think I will".

After several times questioning whether or not I'd been drinking, and where I was going, he handed me back my license and I left. These guys were State Police.. On a residential road. The Local guys work for an elected sheriff and are much more respectful.

Last edited:

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I have never driven with a lighted pipe. I did smoke cigars when I worked as a professional driver of heavy vehicles, I mean trucks. The thing is that smoking while driving, in my opinion, you tend to smoke faster, since you are not relatively relaxed, as if you were in the garden at home, living room sofa, etc., smoking quietly. I agree with ray47......

dontbeaburleyman

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2013
Central California
Enjoy my pipe on the 45 minute drive home. Tilt open the sunroof, crack the back windows and turn off the air recirculation. Wife never complains about the residual room note. I also use a pipe screen to keep the embers from lighting up the back seat (or my shirt).

Never been stopped in rural Cali. Complete governmental overstep to stop someone in their car for smoking. Not surprising, just ridiculous.