PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
What bugs me is that packing a bag full of guns presupposes violence, not collaboration
You can have a bugout bag without a single firearm. The whole idea is a portable supply of what you deem necessary if you have to leave in a hurry. Food, first aid, cash, anything YOU think is important. Just think of any reason, fire, flood, zombie apocalypse.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
@ bigpond
It must be nice to live in such a positive, sure-footed world where people help others and follow the golden rule.

Guess what- after hurricane Katrina there were looters- people who could kill folks and laugh about it- rioting and stealing food and supplies from defenseless people. Doing anything they could to vandalize and pillage. And guess who survived the longest- the homeowners with guns that could defend themselves. People are just a little bit smarter than dogs, and in the event of disaster, evil people do evil things. This includes up to killing to take food or whatever they need. As for pulling together and "collaborating" in the event of a disaster, it's completely understandable why you feel that way, seeing how Trolley doesn't go beyond the land of make believe :)

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
And what does shooting farmers to save food in the depression have to do with defending one's self and property in a disaster? That's a pretty far out statement for a moderate to make.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Yep. There's a word for people that take a friendly forum page and make an outlandish, totally unrelated statement to stir the pot. It's called an instigator, and it ruins everyone's fun. Jut a fact- although the word ammo was used in one of the first posts by nutcracker, bigpond was the first one to mention the word "gun". How do you know nutckracker didn't mean ammo for his slingshot? His longbow? His blowdart tube? His potato cannon? Stop the discrimination on gun owners! I can't breath! :)

Mar 30, 2014
wv
l9XAiizl.jpg

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
@ dave g
Those lawmen of the west that shot bank robbers were so misguided! If the government had taken away guns they could have "collaborated" with armed thieves instead of killing them! Samuel Colt took so many lives! We need to end Colt violence!

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I have faith in the ingenuity of the average person.

I believe that if someone wants to kill another and they don't have a gun handy, they will find a way.
And I don't see why this can't be discussed in a pipe forum.

Maybe we need more real world topics discussed around a table with a bunch of guys smoking pipes instead

of the PC horse$hit we see today.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Smokinfireman, It's ok to have differing opinions. The comments below are going way off reservation.

People are just a little bit smarter than dogs

There's a word for people that take a friendly forum page and make an outlandish, totally unrelated statement
It must be nice to live in such a positive, sure-footed world where people help others and follow the golden rule.

I'm a combat veteran, I'm pretty sure my feet are planted on solid ground. Our viewpoints differ.
Guess what- after hurricane Katrina there were looters- people who could kill folks and laugh about it- rioting and stealing food and supplies from defenseless people.
There are a lot of horror stories. It's hard to weed the fact from fiction. But here are snippets from recent litigation.
Reginald Bell, a black resident, said in a recent interview that he was threatened at gunpoint by two white men there a few days after the storm. The men, on a balcony a few blocks from his home, yelled at him, “We don’t want your kind around here!”
Then one of the men racked his pump-action shotgun, aimed it at Mr. Bell and dared him to be seen again on the streets of Algiers Point, Mr. Bell said. The next day, he said, the men confronted him on his porch while he sat with his girlfriend. They shoved guns — a shotgun and a long-nose .357 Magnum — in the couple’s faces and reiterated their demand.
a former Algiers resident, Roland J. Bourgeois Jr., who is white and was accused of being part of one of the vigilante groups. He was recently indicted by the federal government on civil rights charges in the shooting of three black men who were trying to leave the city. According to the indictment, Mr. Bourgeois, who now lives in Mississippi, warned one neighbor that “anything coming up this street darker than a brown paper bag is getting shot.”
The highest-profile case involving the police is the Danziger Bridge shooting in eastern New Orleans, where six days after Katrina, a group of police officers wielding assault rifles and automatic weapons fired on a group of unarmed civilians, wounding a family of four and killing two, including a teenager and a mentally disabled man. The man, Ronald Madison, 40, was shot in the back with a shotgun and then stomped and kicked as he lay dying, according to court papers.

Edit: This is as far as I go in this thread.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
AS SHERLOCK MIGHT SAY "THIS IS A TWO PIPE PROBLEM" AS THERE ARE SEVERAL REASONS WHY THE VIOLENCE IS INSANE IN THE U.S....AS WELL THERE IS NO ONE CLEAR CUT SOLUTION. BESIDES MAYBE A RESET BUTTON!
That being said I wanted to get in on this one before the bell. BIGPOND is not totally wrong, countries like Japan have lower crime, and no guns. But in return for the most part they trust their government and still have a belief in a high being.

One can blame many things for the rise in crime or violence. Games, movies, drugs, etc. And all are correct for a different reasons. I truly think that the TWO main reasons for this is we have gotten rid of God and Law.

The Law has become a joke, criminals have more rights than the average person. Twenty years ago you beat your wife, cops came in thumped you for doing it and said if you do it again you would be sorry. Now when someone beats a women, we give them a 60 million dollar NFL contract.

With the increase of non-belief of a God, or high being (whatever you may call it)reduces the fear of something happening to you in an afterlife.

So if there is no Law or God to be punish you. Why be civil? Or "Do as thou wilt"

This is just my opinion!!
As to the OP, I have no need for a bug-out bag. To truly bug out I think you have to stay mobile and I don't want anyone smelling my tobacco.

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
Oh man.
I was pretty sure that this thread couldn't get any better/worse, and then God (or more specifically the refusal of God's existence) got tossed into the mix.
Amazing.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I believe that if someone wants to kill another and they don't have a gun handy, they will find a way.
The rise in knife crime in the UK seems to suggest that.
It might lead to more creative murders. And we want creativity ...for the children.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I remember a couple of years ago five people got shot at various events on 'Gun Appreciation Day'...this pretty much sums up guns in public for me and I would never live in the states with my family for longer than a holiday or road trip because it is not a place I think of as safe. I generally like the American people I come across in New Zealand, but none of them are packing guns! ha.
As for statistics, well you know :roll: ...but one thing I was thinking to throw in there about Japan and rape is that I doubt rape is being reported anywhere near close to real figures due to the ingrained cultural ideas around the importance of not losing face. I have no way to back this up obviously, and I am certainly not trying to say higher levels of rape anywhere else are acceptable, just inclined to think that shameful things are kept private or secret in certain cultures. (I have never been to Japan, but I spent a year in mainland China and there are certain stereotypes that are shared by the broader Asian continent).
Isaac

Status
Not open for further replies.