PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LudwigB88

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2023
I’m curious if anyone else has bought a pipe that at first you weren’t that crazy about, then (maybe years later) you fall in love with it. It happened to me with this small, very modest Savinelli Dublin. It just turned out to be great especially with some Christmas Cheer.
IMG_7382.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Yes. I aquired a King Erik pipe as part of an estate lot. It was "extra", and not why I was buying the lot. So it didn't see much use.
Until I opened an aged tin of GLP Telegraph Hill. I was smoking the blend in all my favorites, and just getting so-so results. So I decided to try it in this pipe, what do I have to lose.
And it was fabulous. So much better in this pipe. And now I love it and use it often.
004-001-7187.jpg

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
Yes, I've had a couple. The first was a Stanwell Vario bent brandy that I bought because it was dirt cheap, like $40. It ended up being one of my very best smoking pipes.

The second was my Dunhill 4110 Shell Liverpool. I only bought it because I thought I should have one Dunhill, just because it's one of the most historic pipe makers and it wasnt a bad price. I didn't pay too much attention to it right away but as I got to know it, I noticed that it smoked really well and I just liked it a lot. So one day I saw a decent deal on a Cumberland Canadian and picked that up to add to my collection of Canadian shape pipes. Again, didn't pay too much attention to it at first but started to notice that I really like this pipe as well. Anyway, to make a long story short, I somehow ended up with a dozen Dunhills and they (along with a select few others) are about the only pipes in my collection I smoke regularly, they are absolutely workhorse pipes.

Reactions: PaulRVA
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If the pipe hasn't made a good impression by the time it is broken in, it's normally gone. I have too many pipes that did make a good impression and rarely get smoked to try to find love the second time around.

Reactions: PaulRVA and captpat

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
I have an Irish Seconds fishtail I bought on ebay a copule of years ago. When it arrived, the pipe didn't look like the one online.... after cleaning the Irish Seconds pipe and a few smokes, it's now one of my favorites!! Started looking for more Irish Seconds after that and they haven't disappointed.

burleybreath

Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I never liked the Prince shape until I bought one recently. Not sure why I bought it--it sent out vibes or something. I believe it to be my best smoker, kind of magical. It's incredibly easy to pack right and light, for one thing, the bowl being relatively shallow compared to my numerous billiards. No explanation, otherwise.

Prince2.jpg

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Yes, a Comoy London Pride 215 bent billiard. Large chamber (20mmx50mm), too open draw, no filter. Smoked hot, tongue burn, no tobacco taste. Then years later after I learned to pack correctly and slow sip. Wow. Very nice pipe. And blonde !

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I bought a Dublin by Malaga since the now defunct company was from Michigan and the owner was Armenian. While the Dublin and lovat shape doesn't necessarily catch my eye, I'm from Michigan and half Armenian (and you don't see many Malaga pipes in good condition).

I was using the pipe for English blends, which I don't grab often, and had okay results. After a deep cleaning session, I tried some flake in the Dublin and had great results (possibly based on the conical chamber).

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
The Stanwell in my profile picture is just such an example. I didn't outright hate it at first, but it didn't win me over either. It's a bent acorn with a zebrawood accent, so I admittedly bought it largely for it's aesthetic quality. It's unabashedly Danish in design, as many pre-Italian Stanwells tend to be, but the zebrawood is just such a 90s vibe; it looks like a Stanwell you would buy with your Marlboro points.

But now I smoke it often. I use it for English blends mostly. Not sure what made me begin smoking it again, but I am glad I did. It's a good smoker.

Last edited:

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
The Stanwell in my profile picture is just such an example. I didn't outright hate it at first, but it didn't win me over either. It's a bent acorn with a zebrawood accent, so I admittedly bought it largely for it's aesthetic quality. It's unabashedly Danish in design, as many pre-Italian Stanwells tend to be, but the zebrawood is just such a 90s vibe; it looks like a Stanwell you would buy with your Marlboro points.

But now I smoke it often. I use it for English blends mostly. Not sure what made me begin smoking it again, but I am glad I did. It's a good smoker.
Now I’m noticing Earthworm Jim and Gundam models in your picture. Awesome!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
All the pipes I've purchased over the years were pipes that caught my eye. Can't say I ever bought a pipe that I didn't care for the look. I bought a few estate lots back in the day, mainly for one or two pipes, and I kept those and the others I unloaded back to ebay. If I had a pipe that I bought that didn't perform well, then I unloaded that to ebay as well. No sense keeping a pipe that isn't performing well.

Now I've had pipes that have fallen out of the rotation due to other pipes being picked up more frequently, and then later returned them to regular rotation, but that was mainly due to just having to many pipes to choose from.

Skippy B. Coyote

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
When I first got my Morgan Bones Milan I absolutely hated the dang thing. It felt great in my hand, but whenever I smoked it the pipe gurgled like nobody's business and all my smokes tasted foul like there was some kind of lacquer coating in the bowl even though there certainly didn't appear to be. It was just awful.

I did pay $60 for the damnable hunk of wood though, so I was determined to put it to use and just kept smoking it until at some point around the 10th or 11th bowl it suddenly stopped gurgling and the unpleasant taste went away; and I'm pleased to say neither ever came back. Now it smokes cool and dry as bone and every blend I put in it tastes just as it should.

After the long break in period it became one of my very best smoking pipes, possibly my favorite, and I can't remember the last day I didn't smoke it. It's become the first pipe I reach for every morning, and I'm glad I stuck with it.puffy

IMG20240310153737~2.jpg