PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
The old BBC mini-series Wives and Daughters based on an 1865 novel in the style (poorly) of Jane Austin, has a scene where Roger, the grant winning entomologist, returns from Africa from a trip for the Historical Society, and visits his father, the Squire. They enjoy pipes and brandy and talk of women before the fireplace. The pipes are small bowled churchwardens like the Peterson Carrolton series. Michael Gambon (Maigret) plays the squire. The actor who played Roger later plays Foyle's assistant Sgt. Milner in Foyle's War.

Reactions: johnscs

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
In any case, if an actor isn't a pipe smoker in real life, you can tell right away: in the movie everyone always looks thoughtful or serious, or one of barely concealed superiority. Some then feign a nonchalance, a naturalness of gesture, which in reality they don't have, because it's clear that they don't know how to hold the pipe in their mouth.
I think I could find out (like many of you, I imagine), 9 times out of 10, no matter how good an actor is, whether he is a pipe smoker in real life or not.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
In any case, if an actor isn't a pipe smoker in real life, you can tell right away: in the movie everyone always looks thoughtful or serious, or one of barely concealed superiority. Some then feign a nonchalance, a naturalness of gesture, which in reality they don't have, because it's clear that they don't know how to hold the pipe in their mouth.
I think I could find out (like many of you, I imagine), 9 times out of 10, no matter how good an actor is, whether he is a pipe smoker in real life or not.
I can't really blame the actor. It's not exactly something you can just pick up. I imagine there aren't many actors that are going to dedicate themselves to learning pipe smoking just to appease a bunch of grumblers on the internet.

I know Michael Gladis on Mad Men is actually a pipe smoker and used his own pipes for the show. I also thought Willem Dafoe did a good job clenching clays in The Lighthouse.

Reactions: grand wazoo

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
Sorry if I'm duplicating, but I just watched Asteroid City on a flight. Starring role played by Jason Schwartzman:

1710621203323.png

Thoroughly enjoyed the movie, which I would have liked even if I didn't need a little entertainment on a really long flight. :)

Attachments

• 1710621138146.png
    1710621138146.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 1

grand wazoo

Lurker
Jul 25, 2023
Western N.Y.
Just saw an oldy on TCM, Racing Lady with Ann Devorak, 1937. Harry Carey played her father. Harry was a true pipe smoker! never without a pipe in hand or near, either loading or cleaning ,and lighting up in almost every movie I've seen him in.

bpinkstaff

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
I worked on the upcoming Oppenheimer movie (or did it come out) spent a lot of time identifying his pipes, locating vintage models, getting multiples of those and staining, stressing them to be alike. Findin triplicates of each, etc.

Unfortunately, I had to back out due to family health issues at the time but I’ll say the prop department and prop master I dealt with only was very serious about pipe accuracy and there are plenty in this movie. I’m bummed I didn’t get to complete it and not sure who is now but it’ll be a great pipe spotting movie to watch. :)
Very cool

bpinkstaff

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2024
Rockton, il
I worked on the upcoming Oppenheimer movie (or did it come out) spent a lot of time identifying his pipes, locating vintage models, getting multiples of those and staining, stressing them to be alike. Findin triplicates of each, etc.

Unfortunately, I had to back out due to family health issues at the time but I’ll say the prop department and prop master I dealt with only was very serious about pipe accuracy and there are plenty in this movie. I’m bummed I didn’t get to complete it and not sure who is now but it’ll be a great pipe spotting movie to watch. :)
Very cool
Errol Flynn was so cool he’d smoke his pipe while out on the courts.

View attachment 232512
for sure cool and cool movie

Reactions: PaulRVA

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Not a movie but the witch on the Netflix Dead boy Detectives was smoking a pipe. I was suprised to see that on a new tv show. I cant say I really recommend the series. It looked like a cheapo pipe prop but there was smoke coming out of it. No idea if it was post production smoke or not.