PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Hi all,

I remember seeing people recommend one of the other members here for custom pipes but I can't seem to find that post. Think people said he was in BC? Any idea if he's still at it?

If any of you have good leads on a custom pipe guy that won't break the bank, I'd appreciate the recommendation! I'd also take recommendations on brands and/or estates to watch more closely to find what I'm looking for. It seems that I more consistently see something like this from the Dutch, perhaps.

• Pronounced egg shape (by that I mean, not an egg-y billiard or an apple-y brandy)
    • Canted is neat so long as it doesn't sacrifice curvature of egg.
    • Tipping toward a Devil Anse isn't a bad thing :)
  • Straight shank/stem - 6.5"-8" (7" would be perfect)
  • Inner diameter of 0.75-0.85"
Other than that I'm a little more open to condition (so long as it's smokable), rustication has to be just right for me to like it so I tend towards smooth, and avoid red and dark hues unless it's black.

I find it to be rather sad that there aren't more eggs out there. Any egg haters out there? Fellow egg lovers?

Thanks in advance for the leads!

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
Maybe something like this?

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
coffeeandbourbon actually just posted a post by the maker I've heard about on this forum (shikano53) and I'm going to work with him to commission a pipe.

Not a stacked one like the one you posted, but yes that longish. Asking shikano53 to do a 7" in total length so it's not too hard to transport.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

• Pronounced egg shape (by that I mean, not an egg-y billiard or an apple-y brandy)
    • Canted is neat so long as it doesn't sacrifice curvature of egg.
    • Tipping toward a Devil Anse isn't a bad thing :)
  • Straight shank/stem - 6.5"-8" (7" would be perfect)
  • Inner diameter of 0.75-0.85"
Fellow egg lovers?

Thanks in advance for the leads!
One of my favourite shapes, along with brandys. The curved bottom is made to be cradled in your palm. The Danes do it particularly well.

Look up the selection at The Danish Pipe Shop. They have a search facility - just go to "shape" and select "egg"

Happy hunting

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
Not sure if this is egg like enough for you, but Mike Couch on Instagram does a long cutty/belge that I like the look of. I commissioned a devil anse from him that turned out great. He's a nice guy and easy to work with, and I'd say he's very reasonably priced.

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Marcos, that one is pretty darn close. Maybe a touch too Devil Anse.

OzPiper, agreed! It seems the Danes and French may be the most enamored with this shape. I've found a number of Chacoms and Johs pipes that I've really liked, along with many overly expensive ones that I can't afford as a father of two (I memory dump those brands but they tended to be by Danish makers).

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Marcos, that one is pretty darn close. Maybe a touch too Devil Anse.

OzPiper, agreed! It seems the Danes and French may be the most enamored with this shape. I've found a number of Chacoms and Johs pipes that I've really liked, along with many overly expensive ones
Unfortunately some of the better known Danish makers are able to ask a lot for their pipes. Thankfully there are brands like Stanwell, Bari, Johs, Georg Jensen and Nording that are affordable.

Are you open to getting an estate pipe ? If so retailers eg SmokingPipes, Blue Room Briars and The Danish Pipe Shop have good selections of estates which will be well cleaned and in a "ready to smoke condition" before they are sent out, unlike a lot of Ebay vendors.

Italian retailers eg Al Pascia and Le Pipe.it have quite a large selection of newer pipes. Some that may fit your criteria .

Reactions: mso489 and dmcmtk

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Genod, the French brand, makes some good egg shapes. They are also the source of Iwan Ries house pipes which sometimes include egg shapes, though one of them, though pictured, has been out of stock for years now. You want to do a commission, but these could be sources of photos to serve as models in discussing this with a carver. I like my one Genod egg shape pipe because, though it is compact, it holds an unexpected amount of tobacco, which the egg shape can sometimes do.

Reactions: OzPiper

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Not sure if this is egg like enough for you, but Mike Couch on Instagram does a long cutty/belge that I like the look of. I commissioned a devil anse from him that turned out great. He's a nice guy and easy to work with, and I'd say he's very reasonably priced.
Cool stuff on there! I gave his Instagram a follow. Most of his stuff is more cutty/devil anse than what I'm looking for.

Reactions: MarcosEZLN

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Those last few hit the nail on the head for shape. So far, super happy with interactions with shikano53! He just got me a number of different sketches and they're all in the range of my description.

I have an estate Johs bent egg from the Danish Pipe Shop, so yes I'm open to estates and watch the estates on Smokingpipes and Danish Pipe Shop. I frequently forget about Genod, so that's a good suggestion. I tend to watch for Chacom, Sav Autographs, Nording, Moonshine, etc. Like I said though the trouble is finding an definitively egg shape that has a long straight stem. Just not that common. Hence commissioning shikano53.

Ozpiper that straight egg is a beaut!

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
Cool stuff on there! I gave his Instagram a follow. Most of his stuff is more cutty/devil anse than what I'm looking for.
I heard an interview with Mike where he suggested that he's not actually a big fan of the devil anse/belge shape, but they make up the bulk of his commissions so of course he's going to turn out a bunch. Regardless, he's a super nice guy and makes a solid pipe. Down the road I'll probably commission something more adventurous.