Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I was reading a thread on the forum and found shikano53 was a pipe maker and had his own website. I decided to check it out, I mean who doesn't like to look at pipes... even though I was not in the market for a new pipe (hahaha.)

Well... PAD kicks in hard. He had a nice bent dublin with a cumberland-esq. stem and the price was right! A week and a half later, I received the beauty.

newPipe1.jpg

newPipe2.jpg

Upon opening the box, I was impressed with the quality of the pipe not to mention the beauty of the lines. It's not top quality straight grain wood, but it wasn't priced like that either. I think the briar quality exceeds what I paid for pipe.

But the big question, it is a pipe after all - How does it smoke? Well, I only have two bowls through it so far. but. Let's just say I am planning a commissioned pipe in the next month or so!

My limited smoking with this pipe has been exceptional. It smokes very dry ad very easy - in fact it smokes as easy as my MM cobs but dryer. It's effortless and beuatiful to boot!

I anticipate many more years of great smoked with this pipe!

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thank you for the kind words David, and MSO.
I purchase all my briar from Premal Chadra of RawKrafted.com
He is an established and well known artisan and provides pipe making supplies as well. He sells briar from a number of suppliers at different price ranges and levels of quality.
I haven't reached the point yet where I am confident enough that I won't ruin an expensive piece of high quality briar, so I stay with the economical briar, so that if I ruin a block, it doesn't hurt as bad financially ( or make me pull out what little is left of my hair) as it would if it was a $50.00 of $60.00 block.
One day perhaps, but that's a long ways down the tunnel yet.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hi jp, thanks for the heads up. I just checked it and it works fine. I've checked with the tech support folks at Coffee Cup and they still can't see any problems with the pages or links.

Try this link:

Hey mt piper - I've just updated my website again. I approached a B&M in Edmonton to see if they would be interested in taking some of my pipes on consignment and they said yes: provided the 'pipes' passed their smoking test. All of their employees (including the ladies) are avid pipe smokers and I've purchased several pipes from them over the years.
They bought two; one of their choice and one of my choice. They said they will have two of their employees 'test' smoke the pipes for two weeks and if the pipes pass muster; then we'll sit down and talk pipes, prices and commission.
I currently have three pipes on thee bench at the moment, two billiards and a straight Dublin with a bent stem. As soon as they are completed they will be posted on my website.

Now I better stop running my mouth or I'm going to get tagged by a moderator.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Hi jp, thanks for the heads up. I just checked it and it works fine. I've checked with the tech support folks at Coffee Cup and they still can't see any problems with the pages or links.

Try this link:

Hey mt piper - I've just updated my website again. I approached a B&M in Edmonton to see if they would be interested in taking some of my pipes on consignment and they said yes: provided the 'pipes' passed their smoking test. All of their employees (including the ladies) are avid pipe smokers and I've purchased several pipes from them over the years.
They bought two; one of their choice and one of my choice. They said they will have two of their employees 'test' smoke the pipes for two weeks and if the pipes pass muster; then we'll sit down and talk pipes, prices and commission.
I currently have three pipes on thee bench at the moment, two billiards and a straight Dublin with a bent stem. As soon as they are completed they will be posted on my website.

Now I better stop running my mouth or I'm going to get tagged by a moderator.
Ah, bookmarked - thanks (and thanks to CoffeeAndBourbon too, may it smoke well). All prices in CND, didn't realise you were up in the (not so) frozen north.

I'll definitely be in contact in the future. The OP's bent dublin and the billiards look lovely. Best of luck with the B&M.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Thank you for the kind words David, and MSO.
I purchase all my briar from Premal Chadra of RawKrafted.com
He is an established and well known artisan and provides pipe making supplies as well. He sells briar from a number of suppliers at different price ranges and levels of quality.
I haven't reached the point yet where I am confident enough that I won't ruin an expensive piece of high quality briar, so I stay with the economical briar, so that if I ruin a block, it doesn't hurt as bad financially ( or make me pull out what little is left of my hair) as it would if it was a $50.00 of $60.00 block.
One day perhaps, but that's a long ways down the tunnel yet.
Do you do stem polishing?