Pipe Filter Or No Pipe Filter .That, is The Question.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
When I first started smoking a pipe, I sometimes used the little, hollow paper filter that came with my Dr. Grabow, and sometimes I didn't. It did not seem to make a difference. My first few pipes I purchased after the Dr.G were filterless, so I forgot about those filters. Later, I ordered a Bjorne Viking on the internet, and it was a 9mm filter model. After smoking with the charcoal filter, I really liked it. I liked it a lot. The reasons were: I found that I never had to use a pipe cleaner while smoking, to absorb moisture. My pipe never gurgles when smoking even the most heavily cased blends. I believe the draw, being a little heavier, helps me puff slower. My pipe doesn't seem to heat up as much. That, helps me get less tongue bite.

Even though I still use my Churchwarden and Aldo Velanis without filters, I find that blends taste the same. I still get the nuances of each blend.

I have never known another American smoker, who uses a 9mm filter, but I read that over 90% of German pipe smokers use them. Of course, it's all about: To each his own. I do save money on pipe cleaners, but those charcoal filters cost money. I am not a filter salesman. :) Any thoughts?

whiskeymick

Lurker
Dec 18, 2009
London UK
Never use 'em Mick - My new salvineli came with a strip of triangular balsa wood filters - went straight in the bin! (the filters that is - not the pipe!) :)

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
That is true Phil. I am somewhat of a "wet" smoker, and the filter absorbs the spittle, so that it doesn't come back up. It really helps with moist tobaccos, as well.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I never use them. I can't say why I don't as I've never given them a chance. I just thought that they had to rob some of the flavor from the tobacco.
Maybe I will give them a fair try one of these days.

pipegangster

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2009
Upstate NY
I used them when I first started out. I did find that the taste of the tobacco was dimished a lot and don't use them any longer. I too smoke wet sometimes and will throw a balsa filter into one of my Savys. I find the balsa does not change the taste of the baccy much at all.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a Brigham, which uses a wooden tube (maple) that resides in the stem, and, BTW passes a pipe cleaner with ease. It's really a pretty good smoker, and I don't notice any reduction in flavor -- just a cool dry smoke. I don't use it very much because I don't like messing with the soppy, dirty filter tubes between smokes. It's my understanding that filtered pipes are popular in Europe and, if Brigham's commercial success is any indication, in Canada too.

bassem

Might Stick Around
Nov 20, 2009
About 50% of my pipes are 9mm filter and I find that I get a smoother smoke with the filter than without. The flavor remains however filters usually tend to absorb the moisture which is kind of annoying if it gets in the mouth. Additionally I agree that you do not use a pipe cleaner during the smoke, but it is recommended for cleaning after you put the pipe to rest.

If you buy a pipe with filter, there is a small adapter (plastic) that you can insert in the mouth piece if you prefer to smoke the pipe without the filter and usually this is given free of charge when you purchase the pipe.

With or without, pipe smoking is definitely a pleasure

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I do not use the filters myself, but it seems many of you guys enjoy them.
As dunendain said, "To each his own".
I have also read that filters are more popular in use outside of the US.

mrsmokeyman

Lurker
Dec 19, 2009
i reckon that filters keep more moisture in teh shank than should be there... not to mention turbulence.
if you arent inhaling, why would you need a filter?

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
The filter keeps the stem dry during the smoke. I uses pipe cleaners on my pipes after the smoke. At the end of the night, any pipe that I smoked during the day, gets a pipe cleaner soaked in whiskey.

The filters are not generally sold for inhalers.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
All Vauen pipes, come with the 9mm filter. Their website tells how and why, Mr. Vauen invented it. http://www.vauen.de

I really like their pipes. I will hopefully, be getting one for my birthday.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I have a Brigham Voyageur shape #184 comming to me this week. My first Brigham, although I have wanted to try one for several years now.

I have several Savinelli's that take 6mm balsa filters. I usually don't use the filter unless I am travelling. They are convenient because you don't need to carry pipe cleaners around with you all the time. One less thing to pack when travelling lite.

Can't wait to get the Brigham. It uses a completely different system than Savinelli.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have never had the inclination to use filters.

I have 2 pipes that can accommodate them, my c'cob and a Jobey Sunburst.

It may be the reason I don't smoke them much, because they need the filter.

Hmmm, have to think about that.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I am just the opposite!! All but two of my smokers,an Alpha and a handmade given to me by a friend at SF are filter pipes.I smoke like a freight train and find that the filters help to keep my tongue from getting cooked!!

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I found the same thing happened to me. Once I started using the 9mm filter, I almost never got bitten. Also, the smoke is drier.
The thread was meant to be about 9mm filters. Not the little Dr.Grabow, or Medico paper filter.

titanicexplorer

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2011
I found the filter really dulls the taste- I tried without the filter, and the smoke was 100 times better. I don't get the filter- it's as silly as a filtered cigar- If you need a filter, then don't smoke at all..but to each their own I suppose.

I only smoke about 2 bowls a night.

Although my tounge does get cooked at timnes- Mabey Im just smoking too hot..

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
i love the balsa filters. i put them in my cobs, and it they work great

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I have a Vauen churchwarden and threw away the filter maybe I should reconsider.

Status
Not open for further replies.