Pipe Filter Or No Pipe Filter .That, is The Question.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Ropp Pipes
24 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
8 Fresh IMP Meerschaum Pipes
106 Fresh Peterson Pipes
8 Fresh Savinelli Autograph Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
The filter reduces the flavour intensity and the proportionate amount of condensate and a lot of the acid. That's why filters are good for smoking aromatics thoughtlessly. No tongue burn and no gurgle.
When you smoke English blends, filters are not only unnecessary, but also detrimental. You lose the nuances of a pure tobacco.
A lot of Germans and Austrians and of the Swiss smoke with filter because they are scared of the "dangers", but the toxic level is in truth the same because they smoke bigger bowls and stronger tobaccos. No European pipe smoker would smoke 1Q Lane regularly because it would be way too mild in their filter pipes.

titanicexplorer

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2011
Filters inhibit the flavor (for me)

i suppose the only value of the filter is for health reasons, but I figure if Im going to smoke a pipe, I might as well enjoy it and get the full flavor

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I get so much mileage outta this cartoon, I just gotta post it one more time. :rofl:
Marketing pioneer Daniel Boone Savinelli with an early focus group.

QuotedSavinelli.jpg

westcoastrich

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2011
I have some pipes besides my cobb's that take filters, I like them, helps reduce tongue bite, ( I am a hard puffer ) they doesn't seam to reduce flavor. I just purchase some Bringham filters for my non-filter regular pipes, I haven't tried them yet but I will post about them when I try them a few times.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Brigham rock-maple filters are not normal 6mm filters - they are 5mm diameter, with a 6mm tapered metal "stinger" at one end; in addition, they are almost twice as long as the paper filters (Medico etc.), so they will require some modification to use in (non-Brig) filter pipes. It does work though, I've trimmed a couple down for use in straight cobs, where the open draw is just an invitation for a mouth full of bits.
In addition to being able to pass a pipe-cleaner, they also offer the bonus of being re-useable; they (Brigham) suggest you can rinse the filter out after each use, but really, I haven't noticed any ill effects on filter inserts with 20+ smokes through them (with nothing more intensive than a quick swab with a pipe cleaner) - infact, just the opposite, I find they get better after a few smokes.

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I prefer to use filters,i'm a heavy smoker and they keep the crap outa my mouth,other's don't like them,i say to each there own.

Status
Not open for further replies.