PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
White Elephant ARE good and seem to be becoming more commonly available at B&Ms.

I've been a devoted Blitz and Vauen user for years though. Much higher quality than run of the mill brands, and only a 10-20% increase in price. For me it's well worth the extra dimes and nickels.

A couple weeks ago, a pack of Castello pipe cleaners was included with a pipe order from Italy.
Non-tapered, on the slim side, with bright yellow spots. At first glance I assumed they were nothing special, just typical pipe cleaners with the Castello name slapped on the package.

image.jpg

After using one however, I could tell the steel they use is much higher quality. You can bend it and it snaps right back straight. They're much more durable and less susceptible to developing a kink (even compared to Blitz and Vauen). Not sure I'd go out of my way to order more, but I will gladly use them - especially for pipes with more narrow airways through the stem.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I used to use BJ Longs but find they shed too much fluff.
Not good if you have any old pipes with bone tenons.

I use BBB cleaners these days. They are very absorbent, but don't shed much.
And Falcon ones with those pipes with narrow, restricted airways.

I have tapered as well as bristle cleaners, but hardly use them at all.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
As a follow up question: do you guys use regular and bristled? I’ve always avoided bristles since they seem too abrasive (and damaging to stems).
I don’t think they do any harm, but my fingers don’t like them!

Put me down for the BJ Long tapers because I have a bunch but agree they could be stouter and will be getting more of the pachyderms next pipe or tobacco order.

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
I don’t think they do any harm, but my fingers don’t like them!

Put me down for the BJ Long tapers because I have a bunch but agree they could be stouter and will be getting more of the pachyderms next pipe or tobacco order.
They felt abrasive on my fingers which made me feel like they would scratch acrylic or vulcanite, but I’m sure i was being irrational.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I buy lots of the BJ Long regular and fluffy each time I place an order with SP. The fluffy ones work especially well on the open airways of cobs. My only complaint is that sometimes the ends are bent from the cutting step. I'll either bend them straighter with my fingers, or snip a bit off with some wire cutters.

Reactions: Akoni808

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
They felt abrasive on my fingers which made me feel like they would scratch acrylic or vulcanite, but I’m sure i was being irrational.
You may be right, I just got tired of them scratching up my fingers! Very prickly! I got a bunch of those little nylon and wire brushes for shanks and chambers to handle stuff, but my pipes get a good paper toweling after each use so those are more for the occasional estate.

Reactions: Akoni808

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
As a follow up question: do you guys use regular and bristled? I’ve always avoided bristles since they seem too abrasive (and damaging to stems).
Ill use bristle in the shank if it is really gunked up, ever clear on an absorbent down the stem if it starts getting overly nasty and obsidian oil on my vulcanite, Ashtonite and Cumberland stems when needed. Every smoke gets a pass through with a regular pipe cleaner and then bent over and reamed around the bowl.