PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I agree with Juni, buy yoursself some nice leather pipe cases to carry your pipes. A pipe sock just isn't a good way to protect a valuable pipe. They can range from an inexpensive two pipe case to one like I have that is made of lambskin, holds 7 pipes plus tobacco, pipe cleaners, and whatever else you want to put it in and cost me more than I care to admit.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
NASPC used to have leather pipe bags made up imprinted with their name. They sold them for $6 each. I got 36 of them and have never had a problem with any of them. I do not know if they still do that.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Ipicked up a Tim West leather bag from Ebay for about 7 bucks shipped .The leather is top notch and it holds my 7.5 Gepetto with no worries .

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I would have thought for the price Peterson would have had a nicer bag. i have 30 buck pipes that came with leather bags. I admit i like the emerald green of the peterson bag

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I think we're talking about two different things... a pipe sock is the smaller, pipe-sized covering that the pipe usually comes with. Sometimes made of leather, sometimes suede, sometimes cloth. Many of the lower tier Peterson pipes come with a cheap green nylon sock.
A pipe bag is a larger case that multiple pipes fit into. Some are about the size of a book, some larger. Many pipe bags have loops or pockets that the individual pipes fit into, so you don't need to use a sock with these types of bags.
I've found that, when carrying 6 or more pipes at at time, putting the pipes in their socks then carrying those socks in a Saddleback Leather satchel works great.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
Every new pipe I've bought from Bennington's in Boca Raton, Florida has come in a cloth bag and sturdy box. When you find a great tobacconist, support it with your dollars and referrals. We need to keep the old warriors strong.

Briar Boy

(astrange1)
Apr 8, 2013
My Best: a Becker soft leather pipe sock with beaded draw string.

My worst: a Savinelli thermally welded fiber bag, same material as reusable grocery bags are made of.

You get what you pay for as the saying goes, and in some cases you don't.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Most had none, Peterson had a crappy green one, larger J.M. Boswell's come in a nice pipe bag, but I don't use them.

B

protestantpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 20, 2013
My Dunhill Amber Root came in the nicest bag / box combo I've ever seen. Wooden hinged box, and thick leather bag. It darn well should for the $

Aug 1, 2012
I got a great bag with my Tinsky. Nice black leather.
If you really want a nice pipe bag or ten, grab a sewing awl with some coarse thread, scissors, and a sheet of thin goathide (thin, pliable hide of another animal will do) and make a few. Takes very little skill and is cheaper than you would expect. That's what I used to do for D&D dice bags.

Jul 12, 2011
Some of the nicest ones I have received;
Balkovec ~ Black Leather

Jake Hackert ~ Black Leather

Boswell ~ Soft Brown Leather,

Ardos, Ser Jacs, Cavicchi, Radice, Tinsky ~ Nice suede

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
The only pipe socks I've ever gotten were the green velvet ones from Peterson and those navy/tan ones from Savinelli. Coolest box I've ever gotten has to be my Savinelli 626 Chocolat box which was made out of wood with a brass hinge. The top was carved to look like a chocolate bar with the Savinelli logo in the squares. It's stained a dark chocolate brown. The bottom has a nice velvet lining. I'm guessing the box was probably $30 of the cost of the pipe lol.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I use my socks occasionally, when transporting extra pipes in my big bag. I have at least one sock of all my classic British pipes (Charatan, Ashton, Upshall, GBD & Ferndown). Upshall and Ashton leather bags are really nice.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Both my Stanwell pipe of the year and my Mastro de Paja came in a nice leather sock. My Petes all came in a green felt type sock. Otherwise most of my pipes are estates - thus no sock.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ebay frequently has vintage socks, which are prized from several dollars to crazy on the same bags. Here are my socks:
Charatan/Upshall (I picked up five of the Charatan bags for $10 on Ebay)

GBD/Ferndown (new pipe)

Ashton/Ashton (white is for Sovereign grade pipes)

Comoys/Tinsky

Dec 24, 2012
The pipe socks I like the best are the one you get with a new JT Cooke and the one you get from Larry Roush. The Cooke is soft cushy really thick tan leather. The Roush is high grade thick leather that zips open lengthwise like a pencil case. Nothing out there like Roush's pipe socks. The worst for a high grade pipe is Castello - cheap flimsy cloth that you can almost read the paper through. Rad Davis also gives you a nice black leather sock.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Whew!

For a minute there I thought this was about our wives...
Sorry ladies, I know that was a male-sexist-pig-joke, but an opportunity I couldn't pass up. :D
Edit: I hope The War Department doesn't see this....
affraid.gif

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Joh's, Lucianos, Petersons, and Ser Jacopo come in beautiful bags, worth keeping. Savenelli

churchwardens, at least mine, came in a rather inexpensive synthetic fabric bag. I keep

all the bags to store pipes, when I go away, and put out other pipes on the racks, in hopes

that if someone broke in they'd take the lesser pipes. I love em all, but some I couldn't

replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.