PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Several Species of Small Fury Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict. One of my favorite songs for those trippy moods.
I still mostly listen to A Saucer of Secrets and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn quite a bit.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Well, as with most things, opinions vary a lot. I loved the old Pink Floyd, bought their albums, and saw them in concert. After Waters left I followed both him and Pink Floyd, and found that the band suffered his loss, as he seemed to be the creative force behind much of their great music. He wrote most of The Wall, and The Final Cut, which were two of my favorite albums. The current Pink Floyd has since been doing a sort of a re-hash of their old music, and melodies. It's ok, but not to my liking. My wife bought The Division Bell thinking she would like it, but after a couple of listens, became bored with it. I like all of Roger Waters solo albums as they remind me of the old PInk Floyd and are more cutting edge with the music and lyrics. I don't care what his personal beliefs are, any more than I care what Mozart's, or Miles Davis beliefs were, I like the music! Went to see him at the Coliseum in LA in the late 80s, and he vibrated that concrete structure, playing Welcome To The Machine! Waters seems to be concentrating more on concerts than recording in recent years, has had good success with them, and has paired with David Gilmore in some concerts too.
I just listened to Wish You Were Here a few weeks ago, and Welcome To The Machine still gives me goose bumps. Great band and great music! :clap:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
+1 Orley. One of the very best Pink Floyd albums is Waters' album Amused to Death. Gilmore is a great guitarist, but without Waters it's not really Pink Floyd, imo.
But I would have to say that, imo, it's not possible to separate the personal beliefs of an artist like Waters from his work...everything he ever wrote is saturated with his personal beliefs, the majority of it socio/political in nature.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I agree Brian, you can't separate personal beliefs from the artist, and most artists in the music business write about their beliefs and or life experiences (Taylor Swift, ha ha).

I was just saying I don't care what their beliefs are. Waters has issues with war, government, etc. which doesn't bother me. I still like has music, and accept his lyrics as his opinion.

Oh, and +1 on Amused To Death! "What God wants, God gets, God help us all"

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have enjoyed Waters solo albums and saw him do Dark Side at Madison Square Garden with Mason on drum.

I also really like David Gilmours solo album, On An Island.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij2vdvL7dx4

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks Al, I've never heard that before. But I gotta be honest...listening to it just reinforced my perspective. I love his guitar playing, and it's a pleasant melody...but for me it's lacking the substance and edge that really gets my attention like Waters' compositions do (and I mean that not just lyrically but musically as well).
The most magnanimous thing I can say is, Gilmour was lucky to be playing Waters' songs, and Waters was lucky to have Gilmour as a guitarist.
But then, there are other guitarists he could employ...like Jeff Beck:
(+1 again Orley.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtq1_peTXbw

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
I'm so stoked to get this album, comes out on my birthday so I'm buying myself a gift. My favorite album is Obscured by clouds and Momentary lapse of reason, but who doesn't love The Wall or Dark side of the moon?

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
My favorite Pink Floyd music spans from Dark Side of the Moon through The Final Cut. Those were my "formative" musical years. David Gimour is one of my favorite guitarists. However The Wall has such a profound darkening effect on my mood that I really cannot listen to it anymore without becoming deeply depressed! Must be "mommy issues"...

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Final cut is a cool record. I've been a fan all my life since I first heard Pink Floyd in the late 70's -80s. I'll buy this new one. My favorites are probably Wish You Here, Dark Side and The Wall. I like all the others too though from the early stuff up to recent times.

Jan 8, 2013
Of course, who can forget the Dark Side Of Oz. Where you start the movie Wizard of OZ and then begin Dark Side Of The Moon after the second lion's roar... That's some uncanny stuff right there.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There is also an intriguing synchronization between the entire final sequence of Kubrick's 2001 and Echoes. Not quite as impressive as with Dark Side & Oz, but still pretty good...especially in the latter half.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f88NZ1sxWX0

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I go to every PF tribute band that comes thru our area. "Think Pink" did an outdoor show at a VA winery back in early October. The owner of the winery is a big PF fan, so they did a lot of obscure songs, including a full length version of Echoes. The laser light show,thru the woods/trees of the winery was excellent, along with a few bottles of good wine.
From the 4-5 tribute bands I've seen, "The Machine" based out of NY is probably the best I've heard. They also do an excellent full-length version of Echoes, which is money in my book.

http://www.themachinelive.com/
10710907_966919729990689_4333671241590294996_n.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@Al: I scanned through their website...looks impressive. They're going to perform Dark Side live in its entirety. They must be pretty good to pull that off.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Love Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. When I was younger when I got depressed about youthful silliness, I would turn off all the lights in my dorm room, turn on some Christmas lights and listen to The Wall over and over til I snapped out of it.
I think most people who listened to deep music of the 70s were touched by Pink Floyd in a personal way.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Another interesting tidbit about "The Machine" is they are a true quartet, like the real PF. Most of the other tribute bands have many more musicians to recreate that sound experience. I don't know if they stray away from the East Coast.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
A lot of interesting comments.
I am a long time fan, and have a large collection of their music, as well as the Gilmour solo stuff.
I rarely listen to it, or much of the music from the same era of my life. Evokes a mindset and outlook on life i don't espouse any longer.
However, there is a lot to be said for it.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Anthony, I was serious. I do not lie. I never heard of Pink Floyd. And my question about Woodstock was an honest one. If they were as popular as everyone is saying, why were they not at Woodstock. I spent 3 days there, I never heard one person ask where Pink Floyd was. I also played drums for years in a rock band. I, nor any of our band members ever mentioned Pink Floyd.
It is just strange to me that I never heard of that band, because, I don't live in a cave, never did.

Status
Not open for further replies.