PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I actually prefer Match 20 to 965.
To be fair it’s not a fair comp for me. My 965 is all over 4 years aged and I have a fresh sample of the Match 20.

On a second bowl of Match20 now. Fresh it seems like my (also aged) EMP but with a bit more Lat. The aged 965 is just a lot sweeter for me so far, that I attribute to the age.

Can you tell me if the Match version ages as well as the Peterson version?
I ask because I am considering cellaring some Match since it’s available in bulk.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
To be fair it’s not a fair comp for me. My 965 is all over 4 years aged and I have a fresh sample of the Match 20.

On a second bowl of Match20 now. Fresh it seems like my (also aged) EMP but with a bit more Lat. The aged 965 is just a lot sweeter for me so far, that I attribute to the age.

Can you tell me if the Match version ages as well as the Peterson version?
I ask because I am considering cellaring some Match since it’s available in bulk.
I’ve only had fresh Match 20 and aged 965 just like you so I guess I just like Match 20 fresh. Maybe I’d like 965 fresh better than Match 20 fresh but I can’t say right now.

I’ve got about 8oz of Match 20 in the cellar and can tell you in a few years. But I’m a cheapo so I’ll be sticking with Match 20 regardless 😅

Reactions: Cotton1

Cotton1

Can't Leave
Nov 3, 2020
South Carolina
I’ve only had fresh Match 20 and aged 965 just like you so I guess I just like Match 20 fresh. Maybe I’d like 965 fresh better than Match 20 fresh but I can’t say right now.

I’ve got about 8oz of Match 20 in the cellar and can tell you in a few years. But I’m a cheapo so I’ll be sticking with Match 20 regardless 😅
I understand. I think the fresh seems better if we have a taste for the Lat and the aged better if we have a sweet tooth.

I will smoke a few more bowls of the Match before I make my mind up but will probably cellar more.

Similar vein: I have some 10 year aged Maltese Falcon that I am tempted to pop a tin of. My big fear with it is that time will have tamed the Lat so much that it’s not as good to me even if the sugars have come thru. Just wonder in these type blends if it’s the Latakia we really enjoy. If that is the case I will mix it with Billy Budd and see how that goes.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I understand. I think the fresh seems better if we have a taste for the Lat and the aged better if we have a sweet tooth.

I will smoke a few more bowls of the Match before I make my mind up but will probably cellar more.

Similar vein: I have some 10 year aged Maltese Falcon that I am tempted to pop a tin of. My big fear with it is that time will have tamed the Lat so much that it’s not as good to me even if the sugars have come thru. Just wonder in these type blends if it’s the Latakia we really enjoy. If that is the case I will mix it with Billy Budd and see how that goes.
It will definitely be tamed but I think it really depends on the blend and probably on how much Lat there is. I’ve got Sillem’s Black and HH Syrian in the 12 year range. The Black is now too mild but the HH is wonderful. But of course that could be due to the type of Latakia 🤷‍♂️ But it’s all tobacco so I’m happy either way 😁

Reactions: Cotton1